Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 03:30 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,382,198 times

Advertisements

This is a new first name to me, "Carann". As a hobby I locate and document lost/abandoned/neglected cemeteries and single graves. Last week I documented a lone family obelisk monument and one of the names on it was "Carann Wesbrook". So, has anyone heard the name "Carann" before? And if so, is it pronounced "Car-ann" or "Karen" or --? Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 09:42 PM

993 posts, read 2,291,683 times
Perhaps the monument maker was a bad speller, or the family liked unique names. I've never heard the name before.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:16 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Are the parents nearby? Sometimes parents combine names for the kid. Carson and Ann becomes Carann.

My old bosses parents did that -- they combined their names .

They did it on a soap opera once, with the grandmothers names -- Martha and Sarah combined to become Mara. Hubby and I thought that was a great idea, but what we had to work with wasn't....

We never had kids -- but try combining Geraldine and Norma. Hubby came up with Germa Normaldine. I almost wrecked the car when he said that one!

Old 12-26-2010, 11:12 PM

This appears to be a monument in a family burial site but there are no tomb stones or grave depressions. Carann is on one side of the obelisk and another name on the other. Near the obelisk are three foot stone size stones flush with the ground surface and one is engraved "H.W.", one "infant" and the third is not engraved. After the first of the year I'll try to find if there is any history.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:55 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
You could try census records or death records. In the census I've seen the same person's name spelled many different ways (sometimes people go by middle names as well).

Carann could be a combination of names. Carson or Carroll and Ann or Mary Ann. It's hard to say. If you have access to death or census records try checking those. I know you don't have much to go on. I would say it's probably pronounced "karen" but it's hard to know. It may just be my opinion, but I've observed that most of the stranger names for my families tend to be in the more rural, southernish areas. I'm not sure if they just liked uniqueness, or (like many of my ancestors) they didn't exactly know how to spell their own names. Sometimes the census takers or tombstone engravers get it wrong. You could just try to search for Westbrooks in that county at around the time you think it might have been.

https://beta.familysearch.org/ is not always 100% accurate (from what I have heard), but if you can find Carann Westbrook or a similar Westbrook there, you might get a lead.

Best of luck in your search.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:15 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
Here's a unique name, found in Crosby Cemetery, Mason Co., Texas... Carrian Bird.
Carrian Lee Bird (1886 - 1938) - Find A Grave Memorial

Old 12-27-2010, 09:46 AM

Found these other Carann's...

Carann Barnett

United States Census, 1900
birth: May 1865 — N Carolina
residence: Philadelphia city, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
parents: Henrietta Morris

Carann Peak

South Carolina Deaths, 1915-1943
birth: 1864 — Chester County
death: 18 Jun 1926 — Boginvill, Union, South Carolina
parents: Elic Wyett, Canzatie Rice

Carann Tuck

North Carolina Deaths and Burials, 1898-1994
birth: May 1868 — Granville County
death: 08 Oct 1943 — Wake Forest, Wake, North Carolina
residence: Wake Forest, Wake, NC
parents: Frances ...Ulby

Carann Harris

United States Census, 1920
birth: 1869 — Illinois
residence: Crab Orchard, Williamson, Illinois

Carann Madock

United States Census, 1900
birth: Mar 1870 — Missouri
residence: DeSoto city, Jefferson, Missouri

Carann C. Crawford

United States Census, 1880
birth: 1872 — Ohio, United States
residence: Millersburg, Holmes, Ohio
parents: John Crawford, Henrietta Crawford

Carann Green

United States Census, 1920
birth: 1875 — Texas
residence: , Jackson, Texas
parents: Ruth Rowland

Carann Sikes

birth: 1854 — North Carolina, United States
residence: Gum Neck, Tyrrell, North Carolina
spouse: John Sikes

Carann C Ross

United States Census, 1910
birth: 1853 — Tennessee
residence: York, Lonoke, Arkansas

Carann Blackewell

birth: 1844 — Indiana, United States
residence: Center, Marion, Indiana
spouse: William Blackewell

Last edited by Cyanna; 12-27-2010 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: additions

Old 12-27-2010, 10:17 AM

Thanks all, and especially CYANNA who shows this isn't as unusual as I thought. This work I'm doing is not for genealogy but to document the graves and cemeteries and get them into the data base at the Arkansas Archeological Survey to make sure they are not "lost" again. Some times I run into a name or situation which gets my attention and I do a little research, but not as in the family genealogy I do.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Thanks all, and especially CYANNA who shows this isn't as unusual as I thought. This work I'm doing is not for genealogy but to document the graves and cemeteries and get them into the data base at the Arkansas Archeological Survey to make sure they are not "lost" again. Some times I run into a name or situation which gets my attention and I do a little research, but not as in the family genealogy I do.
You're welcome, Slim From what I could find on this particular Carann, which was nothing other than a listing at Find-A-Grave, I've come to the assumption that she died as an infant, and was born after the 1880 census. She doesn't show up as a living person in ANY state. I've seen mention of a few W.H. Westbrooks, one of whom was in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. I believe I did come across one in Haskell, Arkansas, who in 1880 was 60 years old, so possibly a grandfather to your Carann. It also seems that many on this family moved to Texas.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
You're welcome, Slim From what I could find on this particular Carann, which was nothing other than a listing at Find-A-Grave, I've come to the assumption that she died as an infant, and was born after the 1880 census. She doesn't show up as a living person in ANY state. I've seen mention of a few W.H. Westbrooks, one of whom was in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. I believe I did come across one in Haskell, Arkansas, who in 1880 was 60 years old, so possibly a grandfather to your Carann. It also seems that many on this family moved to Texas.
Here is the monument, and Haskell is only a few miles from it. Harvy is on the west side and Carann on the east.
Attached Thumbnails
New First Name-sdc10376.jpg   New First Name-sdc10378.jpg   New First Name-sdc10382.jpg   New First Name-sdc10388.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy