Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:07 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times

Advertisements

Couldn't figure out if this would be appropriate in this forum, didn't seem to fall under the PEOPLE SEARCH forum.
My Mom had a sister that passed away before she was born. She was born between my uncle and my Mom. My Grandparents would not speak about her at all. My Grandparents have long since died, so has my Uncle and most other older family members that may have some info. My Mom is in her 70's and would just like to find out what she passed away from.

We don't know anything more than her first name and a range of years she could have been born during -mid 1930's +/- 3yrs. They lived in Monroe County, in Rochester, NY. The only thing my Mom remembers is that someone said one day she was there, and the next day she wasn't.

My Mom called the vital records dept and they told her they could not release any records no matter what. She called one of the cemetaries she thought where she would be buried (MT. HOPE) who said they had no one listed by her name but that one section of the cemetary, the records were stolen. They said they would try to walk the area that it may be, but so far, no return call.

Does anyone know of any other way we could possibly find this information out. Being it's about 75 years since she passed, I can't understand why they won't release any records

Would the local library have information if I could find someone to go and research it there?

Thanks for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 11:12 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Couldn't figure out if this would be appropriate in this forum, didn't seem to fall under the PEOPLE SEARCH forum.
My Mom had a sister that passed away before she was born. She was born between my uncle and my Mom. My Grandparents would not speak about her at all. My Grandparents have long since died, so has my Uncle and most other older family members that may have some info. My Mom is in her 70's and would just like to find out what she passed away from.

We don't know anything more than her first name and a range of years she could have been born during -mid 1930's +/- 3yrs. They lived in Monroe County, in Rochester, NY. The only thing my Mom remembers is that someone said one day she was there, and the next day she wasn't.

My Mom called the vital records dept and they told her they could not release any records no matter what. She called one of the cemetaries she thought where she would be buried (MT. HOPE) who said they had no one listed by her name but that one section of the cemetary, the records were stolen. They said they would try to walk the area that it may be, but so far, no return call.

Does anyone know of any other way we could possibly find this information out. Being it's about 75 years since she passed, I can't understand why they won't release any records

Would the local library have information if I could find someone to go and research it there?

Thanks for any insight.
Each state is probably different, but here in Georgia I was able to get certificates for my relatives from that time frame.

I would suggest calling vital records again and ask them who is authorized to release the information. It may be the NY equivalent of probate court and a judge might have to authorize it. It may involve paying a fee, but it also may be pretty easy to do if you are willing to pay that fee.

Good luck!

Old 01-05-2011, 01:13 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Some thoughts:

1. Check to see if vital records are available online, seems sketchy that a family member can't get a record. Whoever said no likely won't see or be aware of an online request.

2. Look for a newspaper obituary, or if you think there was some dramatic event, check for a news article. It'll will help to try to zero in more on an approximate date. If this was a part of a news story, follow up articles might come months after the death.

3. If relatives won't talk, there may be something people, at least at that time, considered embarassing about the death. For instance, a death certificate that reveals true paternity. Or a cause of death due to some contagious diseases. Or sometimes children that "disappeared" didn't die and were adopted out, if times were hard. A source of shame and pain to the remaining family.

Good luck with your search.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:04 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Did you try ancestry.com? Maybe someone with a membership will look for the death record for you..people on C-Dare pretty good about that. List everything you know and see if someone will look it up.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Each state is probably different, but here in Georgia I was able to get certificates for my relatives from that time frame.

I would suggest calling vital records again and ask them who is authorized to release the information. It may be the NY equivalent of probate court and a judge might have to authorize it. It may involve paying a fee, but it also may be pretty easy to do if you are willing to pay that fee.

Good luck!
My Mom wouldn't mind paying the fee, but to go through probate may prove to be too involved for her. I'll try to research it and see if I can come up with anything different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Some thoughts:

1. Check to see if vital records are available online, seems sketchy that a family member can't get a record. Whoever said no likely won't see or be aware of an online request.

2. Look for a newspaper obituary, or if you think there was some dramatic event, check for a news article. It'll will help to try to zero in more on an approximate date. If this was a part of a news story, follow up articles might come months after the death.

3. If relatives won't talk, there may be something people, at least at that time, considered embarassing about the death. For instance, a death certificate that reveals true paternity. Or a cause of death due to some contagious diseases. Or sometimes children that "disappeared" didn't die and were adopted out, if times were hard. A source of shame and pain to the remaining family.

Good luck with your search.
Vital records aren't online, unfortunately. No family members left alive from that time. Nothing tragic, my Mom thinks maybe she was sick, possibly pneumonia, though my Mom said for some reason she remembers something about my Grandmother making mention about her stomach, but honestly, my Mom can't remember anything but that. She would have been around a year and a half old.

I too asked about the adopting out possibility, she said not a possibility, GF had a good job, and she was born not far after her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Did you try ancestry.com? Maybe someone with a membership will look for the death record for you..people on C-Dare pretty good about that. List everything you know and see if someone will look it up.
I've tried everything I could think of. Since it was somewhere in the mid 30's, it was before and after any census records. Can't think of any other options. I don't have access to Ancestory.com, don't know anyone who does. Sorry, but have to ask, what's C-Dare?

Thanks for the suggestions, will keep trying to find info - appreciate all the help!!!

Old 01-05-2011, 05:37 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,350,407 times
Here is the website for New York's vital records.
Birth, Death, Marriage & Divorce Records - New York State Department of Health

Quote:
Welcome to the New York State Vital Records web site. The Vital Records Section of the New York State Department of Health files certificates for births and deaths that occur in New York State outside of New York City and for marriage licenses issued in New York State outside of New York City. Also on file are divorce records for all of New York State since 1963. The Vital Records Section provides qualified applicants with certified copies of the certificates associated with these events. Uncertified copies of older certificates are available for genealogy research.
You can apply for a genealogy research copy, which bypasses the requirements set out for a certified copy.

You can try her name here e-Library OPAC iLink at New York State Library and see if the library has anything in the archives.

I can check Ancestry for you, if you want to send me her name and your grandparents' names and place of residence, but I doubt I'll find anything since she falls between the census years and NY doesn't really have much in the way of published public records.

Last edited by hcgCali; 01-05-2011 at 05:58 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 11:23 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
My Mom wouldn't mind paying the fee, but to go through probate may prove to be too involved for her. I'll try to research it and see if I can come up with anything different.
I do not think she would need to "go through" probate in the sense of what would be done with a recent death. It may be just getting the probate judge to sort of rubber stamp the request. A "genealogy copy", as noted in the post from hcgCali, may include everything but the cause of death. As a family member, your mother is entitled to that information. I mentioned that I have certificates for my family. The first set they gave me had no causes of death. I went back and made them cough up unredacted copies.

Quote:
I've tried everything I could think of. Since it was somewhere in the mid 30's, it was before and after any census records. Can't think of any other options. I don't have access to Ancestory.com, don't know anyone who does. Sorry, but have to ask, what's C-Dare?
I think the poster meant, "the folks from C-D are ..." That's us! City-Data! I, too, have a subscription to ancestry.com and am willing to help.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the reply and clarifications Suzy-Q, as well as the offer to look. HCgCali was kind enough to look for me on Ancestory, but as suspected, came up with zilch. Will give my Mom your suggestions on trying to go the route you suggested.

Thanks again!

Old 01-06-2011, 07:25 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
You might try old newspaper obituaries from newspapers of that era. These should be available through the libraries and/or historical societies.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:33 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
Try this website it's a little funky but you can search old newspapers from all over NYS. www.fultonhistory/Fulton.html (broken link)

You might also try the church that her family belonged to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy