Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2016, 05:22 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,467,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I'm either 1/8th or 1/16th, my mom told me when I was little. But I wouldn't know how to prove it. She was estranged from her family, I think, and I never met them and now that she has died I can't find anything. She gave us names, some even unusual names, and I can find those names on Ancestry - but not with any connection to her. I have even wondered if she was an illegitimate child and that's why we can't find anything. She was born at home and there's no record of her birth.
If you wish assistance from some of the fab researchers here, post what you know about her. Sometimes it takes someone who knows the ins & outs of search engines to get results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,444 times
Is there a way to get a free DNA to see exactly how much Native blood I have and tribe..? I know I'm Wuckchumini westernband Mono. I have my mom's roll number and we are able to receive medical benefits, however I'd like to know if myself and children are entitled to money..? Anyone..?

Old 11-18-2016, 02:22 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,467,253 times
I do not know of any free DNA testing services.

Do any nations recognize DNA testing as proof of genetic belonging? The DNA tests available to the general public do not specify nations, tribes, bands, etc.

If you wish know if you or your children qualify for tribal membership and any tribal benefits, contact the Big Sandy Rancheria membership office through their website. Every nation has different criteria for membership.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:19 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,288,788 times
I don't believe any tribe accepts DNA results. DNA can not currently tell you what tribe you belong to, it can only identify general Native American/East Asian DNA

Old 11-21-2016, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,411 times
I can trace my ancestors and have their number from the Dawes Rolls, Cherokee enrollment card and would like to find my grandchildren college scholorships if available. What is needed and how do I go about it?

Old 11-21-2016, 03:52 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,415,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkay View Post
I can trace my ancestors and have their number from the Dawes Rolls, Cherokee enrollment card and would like to find my grandchildren college scholorships if available. What is needed and how do I go about it?
Education Grants for Native American Students ~ GoCollege.com

Google is your friend.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:12 AM

322 posts, read 701,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkay View Post
Your grandchildren need to be enrolled citizens of either the Cherokee Nation or United Keetoowah (since you said Dawes not sure which nation.)
If you have all this information, including an enrollment card, why would you come here? Cherokees are given all the detail regarding tribal contacts.

No Cherokee or any other tribal member needs to go fishing on non-tribal websites for information such as this. I am certain of the fact, people are cherry picking for handouts.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,270 times
I don't know what my actual percentage is but I know that my mom was full blood, and I had heard my dads grandmother was 3/4, and I don't really care about the benefits anyone can apply for tax exempt, I just want to know where my blood line is, on a spiritual level, you and the government can keep whatever it is offering, I'll live on the streets again, not out for a hand out, I just want to know where I come from. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I do know what tribes but I don't see why that matters, as I said the tribe and government can keep whatever it has, I'm also wanting to meet my mom's twin sister, I've got bad news to give, and I do know that if anyone had information for me I'd want to know.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:41 PM

322 posts, read 701,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliac81 View Post
I don't know what my actual percentage is but I know that my mom was full blood, and I had heard my dads grandmother was 3/4, and I don't really care about the benefits anyone can apply for tax exempt, I just want to know where my blood line is, on a spiritual level, you and the government can keep whatever it is offering, I'll live on the streets again, not out for a hand out, I just want to know where I come from. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I do know what tribes but I don't see why that matters, as I said the tribe and government can keep whatever it has, I'm also wanting to meet my mom's twin sister, I've got bad news to give, and I do know that if anyone had information for me I'd want to know.

Have you sought counsel and inquired with your very own family? Who your people are and where you come from? If your mother is something of a fullblood and rumors of a 3/4-qrtd. grandmother, perhaps they (parents) would be best to get a starting point to find fact or fiction if you have contacts with them.

If you want help in way of a US Tribe or Nation and what direction to go...What information are you seeking from outside of your family?

Old 01-31-2017, 04:50 PM

153 posts, read 136,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianGumbo View Post
Your grandchildren need to be enrolled citizens of either the Cherokee Nation or United Keetoowah (since you said Dawes not sure which nation.)
If you have all this information, including an enrollment card, why would you come here? Cherokees are given all the detail regarding tribal contacts.

No Cherokee or any other tribal member needs to go fishing on non-tribal websites for information such as this. I am certain of the fact, people are cherry picking for handouts.
I agree with you wholeheartedly.

There are a couple of questions that sometimes indicate a certain mentality, and these questions are, "What are my rights," etc., and "What am I entitled to?" and so on. Those questions often come from those seeking information about their possible Native American ancestry.

There is no denying the Native American people were treated unfairly and, in many instances, still are. But there also seems to be a wave of people hoping/wanting/ to claim Native American ancestry, for one reason only: money/entitlements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy