Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 09:38 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp31 View Post
Are you one of those who are 1/8 or 1/16 Native American and get benefits from the state and or government?
According to DNA results, I have between 1/10 and 1/7th Native American DNA. But since "Native American" covers the entire Americas, I am early in the search to understand those roots given that my ancestors moved quite a bit.

"Benefits" is a topic that goes well beyond DNA results to questions of identity, culture and politics. But no, I get no benefits, nor do I seek them. I just want to understand where my DNA came from.

S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,019 times
my brother and i have the same parents. i am 15% and his DNA shows 17%, would i still be able to get health benefits?

Old 10-06-2017, 09:34 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seecker View Post
my brother and i have the same parents. i am 15% and his DNA shows 17%, would i still be able to get health benefits?
You can't get health benefits based on your DNA ethnicity report. You have to be a card holding member of a tribe (particularly a tribe in the US I think), and most tribes won't accept a DNA ethnicity report as eligibility of membership.

You should also read this article about why the so-called benefits Native Americans get aren't really all that different or better than the benefits any other US citizen might get: https://www.quora.com/What-benefits-...ative-American

"There are very few differences in “benefits” that a tribal member might receive as compared to a non-Native American US citizen. This is to say that all social welfare programs are pretty much the same. There are poverty or income thresholds and financial need requirements. [...] The other area that is misunderstood has to do with health care. The Indian Health Service does provide health care services on Native lands, but it is now often compacted with tribes (“638” compacts)… where tribes operate various grants and programs directly. Tribes also pony up substantial sums to cover cost of health care for tribal members, or build facilities. IHS funding is not enough to cover the health care costs in Indian Country. In fact, most tribal hospitals operate like any other medical facility, serving non-Natives as well. They will bill standard medical insurance, and tribal members that have their own insurance are not usually seen at IHS facilities.
However, in this regard, IHS is a legacy of the federal trust responsibility that was assumed when tribes ceded territory in exchange for various terms in treaties. Meanwhile, there are federal dollars spent on community health grants for states, and few people know about this or think of it as states or White people (or American citizens) getting “benefits.”

Old 10-06-2017, 11:28 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Quote:
It is hard to guess. Read through this entire thread. You need your reserach your paper trail in order to determine what tribe or nation your ancestors were members of.

For example if your Native American DNA descends from just one person, that would mean one of your great grandparents was Native American, then your grandparent was 1/2, your parent 1/4, and then you are 1/8.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:32 PM

638 posts, read 529,434 times
Quote:
Extremely unlikely based on that alone. I'm about 20 - 30% because we are mixed from the Southwest. I don't even get counted as "Indian" by the US government because I'm not a registered member of a tribe.

If you want to join the tribe and live on the reservation you may be eligible for reservation-specific assistance, however, there is a reason that exists and it's not that the United States puts Indian lives above others. It's because living on the reservation can be extremely hard. While I support the right of tribes and want them to have everything they are entitled to you couldn't pay me a million dollars to move there with my kids.

If you want access to health care, you would be better off investing in a college degree or learning a unionized trade.

Option 1: Use the university's or college's health care benefits, study, and get a good job. That is your best chance at getting assistance for health care now and being able to pay for it in the future. Don't take out too many loans, take it slow, and go to an advisor when choosing a program. Go to a state-accredited school, not online unless you can go see that brick and mortar building. If you don't know what I mean, PM me and I will explain in more detail depending on your situation.

Option 2: Look up your local trades, think plumber, electrician, mason, welder, whatever. See if they have a union and an apprenticeship program. This is not a fancy job and it's not easy but some people are great with their hands and can make a good living. If the union has negotiated benefits you may get those through the union.

Option 3: I know many people who have joined the military for benefits for their dependents after losing a job. This is an honorable option and can jump-start a career. Obviously, you're risking your life for your country and maybe for wars you aren't sure are in the interest of your country depending on how you view it, but food and benefits are on the table.

Good luck to you and take it from someone who grew up poor and has had health care: making money is your #1 chance in this country. Whether it's right or not, you can only really depend on yourself for this and that is the reality we live in.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:53 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with DNA test results. It has to do with whether or not you're an enrolled tribal member. Do you have a Native ID card? Do you even know what tribe/s your %-age represents?

End of story.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:59 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp31 View Post
Are you one of those who are 1/8 or 1/16 Native American and get benefits from the state and or government?
Over 95% of indigenous groups in the Continental United States were killed off by disease or warfare by the late 1800s. Since that time, the population has grown such that about 1% of the US population has enrolled tribal members. But the vast majority of them are part white.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...t_Wounded_Knee

The true Native Americans who are 4/4 (or close to it) represent less than 1/10 of that 1% noted above.
Native Americans intermarry with whites at a higher relative frequency compared to any other minority
group. The full-blooded tribal members are disappearing fast with the language. The mixed-blooded
Caucasian-looking tribal members are growing exponentially by comparison without knowledge of the
indigenous languages.

The indigenous groups are almost extinct relative to 1491. Hundreds of years from now, I hope our
mixed-blooded descendants remember us and are somehow able to preserve the remnants of the
languages still left and spoken mostly by the rare full-blooded tribal elders. We are near the
sunset of our people - the last generations of full-blooded indigenous tribal members who still
speak their indigenous language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR4j8iWu-OI

Old 10-07-2017, 05:27 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,304,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Over 95% of indigenous groups in the Continental United States were killed off by disease or warfare by the late 1800s. Since that time, the population has grown such that about 1% of the US population has enrolled tribal members. But the vast majority of them are part white.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...t_Wounded_Knee

The true Native Americans who are 4/4 (or close to it) represent less than 1/10 of that 1% noted above.
Native Americans intermarry with whites at a higher relative frequency compared to any other minority
group. The full-blooded tribal members are disappearing fast with the language. The mixed-blooded
Caucasian-looking tribal members are growing exponentially by comparison without knowledge of the
indigenous languages.

The indigenous groups are almost extinct relative to 1491. Hundreds of years from now, I hope our
mixed-blooded descendants remember us and are somehow able to preserve the remnants of the
languages still left and spoken mostly by the rare full-blooded tribal elders. We are near the
sunset of our people - the last generations of full-blooded indigenous tribal members who still
speak their indigenous language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR4j8iWu-OI
Most "true Native Americans" are likely not 100% Native American by DNA. Long before the trail of tears there was heavy White blood intermixing among many of the tribes. So sorry unless you've taken a DNA test and it comes up really close to 100% Native American/East Asian DNA then you are very unlikely "full blooded."

Also being full or not full blood doesn't mean language can still be passed on by mixed blood people (which again probably includes alleged "full blooded" people). Certainly it's important for that culture to pass on, though being exclusive to your cousins who have a more mixed ancestry doesn't help that. Populations intermix, it's the way the world works, everywhere.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 749 times
My son is 13 years old he's 50% Native American 50% Hispanic and his dad family tribe is from Winslow Arizona does my son get any kind of benefits

Old 03-04-2018, 06:00 PM

626 posts, read 625,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathernandez View Post
My son is 13 years old he's 50% Native American 50% Hispanic and his dad family tribe is from Winslow Arizona does my son get any kind of benefits
As far as I know you have to register him with the tribe first to receive anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy