U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2011, 02:00 PM
bjh bjh started this thread
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
47,422 posts, read 27,490,205 times
Reputation: 130889

Advertisements

based on your genealogy? Was it worth it? Fun, helpful, any reason...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2011, 02:35 PM
 
Location: FROM Dixie, but IN SoCal
3,485 posts, read 6,163,961 times
Reputation: 3766
Call me dense, but I don't understand the question. "Family" is a pretty well-defined group -- parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins both on the paternal and maternal sides. I could be wrong, of course -- in fact I often am -- but practically everyone knows who is and is not family.

Are you asking whether we attended family reunions, possibly learned about through newspapers and etc, based solely on a possible genealogical relationship with people we've never met?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2011, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...a traveling man.
42,494 posts, read 56,418,955 times
Reputation: 120265
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
based on your genealogy? Was it worth it? Fun, helpful, any reason...
Yes, a few years ago, and yes it was worth it. Main reason, fanily had lost contact when my father died in 1948 and never knew what happened to his side of the family til recently. There were over 550 relatives there at the reunion. Twas a blast. I learned a ton of things and got tremendous amount of information.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2011, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Columbus, Indiana
979 posts, read 2,148,848 times
Reputation: 1444
I contacted a woman online whose grandfather was a brother to my great-grandfather. She invited us to a family reunion, so we drove to Kansas from Indiana to attend. It was very enjoyable, I met a lot of nice new cousins and was able to share information with them that they had not known before.

Last edited by Cindiana; 01-24-2011 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: spelling
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2011, 08:09 PM
 
5,698 posts, read 18,221,545 times
Reputation: 8656
Yes and it was nightmare. It was on my Dad's side of the family and I had only met them once when I was 5 yrs old. Some distant relatives that lived upstate. My parents divorced when I was in my early teens and I only saw my Dad about once a year. He had married his mistress and pretty much decided he had a no life before her. He always went to these family reunions upstate by himself. For some reason he really wanted me to go one year and I said okay. He seemed to be trying to have a relationship with me after I became an adult and I thought I would put in the effort as well.

The trip was a nightmare. After driving 7 hrs in the dark, on back roads during a major down pour we finally made it to this rinky dink town. The motel was disgusting. It was filled with mice and mildew. Their idea of an addition was connecting old camping trailers to the building. They didn't even bother taking the tail lights off the things! I never met so many backwoods types in one location. I showed up in my shiny red foreign sports car and was immediately hated. The people were rude and the whole time I got snide comments about my car or how they hadn't seen me in years like it was my fault. It was probably the most awkward situation I had ever been in and couldn't wait to leave. My husband joked that he was worried we might get lynched before we could escape. We had originally booked two nights but after one night in that horrible mice infested hell hole, my husband and I decided to drive home. I do not care to know those people and never made the effort to attend another family reunion. I got my fill of he haw for a lifetime.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2011, 11:40 PM
 
5,698 posts, read 18,221,545 times
Reputation: 8656
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Yes and it was nightmare. It was on my Dad's side of the family and I had only met them once when I was 5 yrs old. Some distant relatives that lived upstate. My parents divorced when I was in my early teens and I only saw my Dad about once a year. He had married his mistress and pretty much decided he had a no life before her. He always went to these family reunions upstate by himself. For some reason he really wanted me to go one year and I said okay. He seemed to be trying to have a relationship with me after I became an adult and I thought I would put in the effort as well.

The trip was a nightmare. After driving 7 hrs in the dark, on back roads during a major down pour we finally made it to this rinky dink town. The motel was disgusting. It was filled with mice and mildew. Their idea of an addition was connecting old camping trailers to the building. They didn't even bother taking the tail lights off the things! I never met so many backwoods types in one location. I showed up in my shiny red foreign sports car and was immediately hated. The people were rude and the whole time I got snide comments about my car or how they hadn't seen me in years like it was my fault. It was probably the most awkward situation I had ever been in and couldn't wait to leave. My husband joked that he was worried we might get lynched before we could escape. We had originally booked two nights but after one night in that horrible mice infested hell hole, my husband and I decided to drive home. I do not care to know those people and never made the effort to attend another family reunion. I got my fill of he haw for a lifetime.
Opps sorry. In my rant I forgot to mention I was interested in wanting to learn more about my family tree on my Dad's side. He always spoke highly of these relatives. But to attend a family reunion blindly. No I have not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2011, 03:07 AM
 
Location: In the Pearl of the Purchase, Ky
9,689 posts, read 15,398,777 times
Reputation: 39206
Our family has a family reunion every three years. We usually average between 100-125 family members each time. This reunion is for the descendants of my dad's great grandfather. The reunion is held one of several state parks where there is plenty to do for the 3 days we're together, beside reunion, especially for the kids. On the last day we take a driving tour of all the family homesteads. My dad's generation has had a round robin letter going around to keep everybody in touch, since right after WWII. Takes anywhere from 8 months to a year to get back to him but he really enjoys it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2011, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
9,922 posts, read 16,194,364 times
Reputation: 13372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Call me dense, but I don't understand the question. "Family" is a pretty well-defined group -- parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins both on the paternal and maternal sides. I could be wrong, of course -- in fact I often am -- but practically everyone knows who is and is not family.

Are you asking whether we attended family reunions, possibly learned about through newspapers and etc, based solely on a possible genealogical relationship with people we've never met?
It is a bit of a confusing question - technically, all family reunions will be "based on your genealogy" since everyone there shares a genealogy. But I interpreted the question as distant relations who have met through their genealogy research. For example, when you sign up on Ancestry.com or another website with family trees and find dozens of people who have the same branch in their tree as you do in yours. We may be talking about very, VERY distant cousins (the closest relations I've found who I didn't know about before were my 3rd cousins). For example there are 39 other people on Ancestry.com who have my 7th great grandfather in their tree as well. That would make us something like 8th cousins... but we have a shared family history however distant it may be and more importantly we have a shared interest in our family history (there are probably hundreds if not thousands more descendants of my 7th great grandfather who simply don't know it because they haven't researched their ancestry). It would be interesting to contact them all and arrange a meeting - however, I have not attended anything of the like yet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2011, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,657 posts, read 36,903,048 times
Reputation: 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It is a bit of a confusing question - technically, all family reunions will be "based on your genealogy" since everyone there shares a genealogy. But I interpreted the question as distant relations who have met through their genealogy research. For example, when you sign up on Ancestry.com or another website with family trees and find dozens of people who have the same branch in their tree as you do in yours. We may be talking about very, VERY distant cousins (the closest relations I've found who I didn't know about before were my 3rd cousins). For example there are 39 other people on Ancestry.com who have my 7th great grandfather in their tree as well. That would make us something like 8th cousins... but we have a shared family history however distant it may be and more importantly we have a shared interest in our family history (there are probably hundreds if not thousands more descendants of my 7th great grandfather who simply don't know it because they haven't researched their ancestry). It would be interesting to contact them all and arrange a meeting - however, I have not attended anything of the like yet.

I have, through Ancestry.com, found many distant relatives (3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th cousins) who have yearly reunions, but I am, frankly, disinclined to show up, even though I have what seems to be evidence of a connection, because I am not sure I would be welcomed because I am of a different race.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2011, 02:21 PM
bjh bjh started this thread
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
47,422 posts, read 27,490,205 times
Reputation: 130889
^
Might give it a try. Could be others like you there. Or ask someone beforehand to feel them out if particularly nervous.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top