U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 02:22 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,632,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
You're brother getting a Y chromosome DNA test won't tell you anything about any grandmother in your family tree. If this is your maternal grandmother a mitochondrial DNA test might tell you something.

D'oh!

Thanks for pointing that out. For once, us females of the lines will be able to add to the genetic investigation
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 05:33 PM

11,543 posts, read 28,306,531 times
The first African Slave who was kidnapped and brought to the New World arrived before 1600.

All of my Dutch ancestors in NY and NJ had slaves before the RW. All of my tobacco planters in VA had slaves. Did any of them have children with their slaves? I don't know. Am I the decendant of a long forgotten tryst between master and slave? Don't know; don't care. It doesn't matter. i can't change a thing and true history tends to be factual. If I had to mae a guess, I would guess there may be Native american blood rather than slave. Why? hair, eyes, feet, facial features and location.

Last edited by linicx; 02-16-2011 at 05:44 PM..

Old 02-17-2011, 03:39 AM

4,281 posts, read 5,659,403 times
My ancestors include land owners in the south who were wealthy enough to own slaves but did not own any as a matter of principle. I haven't found any slave owners.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:00 AM
bjh

44,875 posts, read 27,063,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
D'oh!

Thanks for pointing that out. For once, us females of the lines will be able to add to the genetic investigation
For once? Mitochondrial DNA and it's significance has been known for decades now. Plus, as we all know, everyone gets half their genes from females.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:08 PM

8,776 posts, read 10,938,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I was looking at the will of a brother of my direct ancestor. He was born in 1816 in Tennessee and died in 1867. His will was dated 1860. You can find it here:
RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: Moss * Ivy * Gordon * Brand/Brann Families

One part that really struck me was this:

I'm not necessarily ashamed that my ancestors were (or likely were) slave owners. I'm not necessarily proud of it, either. But that's how genealogy goes. Some ancestors were people we would be proud of and some were not. Still, it amazes me to think of how different that life was. I couldn't imagine owning somebody. If I lived back then, even though I am white, there's a good chance I would be property of my husband. It's hard to imagine a world like that.

Sometimes I look back at situations like the fight against slavery and I wonder if I would have been an abolitionist. I know that sounds like a horrible thing to say, but I'm not really a confrontational type. I'm more the type to wait for things to change. It took a lot of guts to speak out against slavery back then, and I wonder if many of us, if our lives and even our families were threatened, would have spoken out against it. Would most of us have made the heroic choice, even at our own peril?

Anyway, I found this will and it surprised me. I had assumed that I had ancestors who owned slaves. Granted, this is a brother of my ancestor, but it was in the family and I had plenty of other ancestors in Virginia, Maryland, Kentucky, and Tennessee. I think, by the time my ancestors came to Missouri (some as early as the 18teens and others around the Civil War), most of them did not have slaves any more, either because they could not afford it or chose not to. Some of my ancestors were Confederate and some (even the ones from Tennessee) were Union.

It's really interesting to dig into this history and see how our ancestors lived. Knowing the atrocities of slavery, I don't think I could have tolerated owning a slave. However, considering my own cautious attitude I'm honestly not sure if I would have fought it. Fortunately, I don't have to make that decision.

Do any of you have ancestors (slaves or slave owners) in your genealogy? Did it surprise you? Shock you? Did it make you feel anything? For me, it's an interesting tidbit. I'm not so much ashamed because I didn't do it, but it does make me want to wonder about that time and what it was like, especially for slaves but also for regular people. I'm sure many more people during that day, even those who owned or whose relatives owned slaves, struggled with it. Although he lived almost a century before, Thomas Jefferson himself struggled with it.

It's really interesting to read up on. I'm certainly glad I live now and not then.

Thoughts?
Yes, I have ancestors that were slave owners. No, it didn't surprise me. Knowing who they were and how they lived it was, pretty much, a given that they would be. I also have copies of Wills showing the distribution of slaves after a death. My family also lived in VA, NC, TN and KY and owned slaves up to the Civil War. Even though they were Union sympathizers and most of the men fought for the Union.

I have a copy of a letter, written by a nephew of my great grandad who migrated to Oregon in the early 1850s, and HE was a staunch Confederate sympathizer. His letter shows that he was in HUGE favor of slavery. He claimed that his country would never have become what it was without it. He might have been right but it really bothered me, reading that letter.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I'm in my 40's, and my great-great grandfather was in his mid-twenties when he served in the Civil War. DH is in his 50's, and his great-grandfather was in the war. So what the poster said could be true.
I am 68 and my great grandfather served in the Civil War. He was 50 when he enlisted. My grandad was born when gr grandad was 64. Grandad was 43 when my dad was born. So, even though it is only three generations there's a LOT of years between them. My great grandad is either a 2X, or in some cases, 3X great to a lot of my "cousins" I've found over the years, being descended from his much older children. So, it's very much possible. My great grandad (Dad's grandad) would've been 107 when my dad was born.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I think that would depend upon where the slaves lived? Southern states would not have listed them by name, but some Northern states did, and even that was rare.
The Wills I have from TN and KY listed the slaves by name. I know the census takers didn't list name...just age and gender.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223
Well, My great grandfather owned 300 slaves. I'm not related to any africans though.

Would anyone under the age of ... oh, 40 ... care?

It's a family mystery of why my late paternal grandmother was so ... umm .. "dark". A persistent rumor has been that we have A-A blood on that side of the family. She was born in 1912 so the whole thing has been hushed up. While the next generation (my parents) refuse to talk about the subject, my generation (between age 40-53) have an "ohhh, c'mon" attitude about it. It's not like we can siphon that mix from our bloodline; most of us would really like to know. I've lately come across information that Grandma might have been descended from Melungeon stock, but I guess the only thing that will solve the issue is a DNA test. I've been trying to get my lazy brother to take one, but I'm going to have to pony up the cost first.
Far as I know my family has no AA bloodlines BUT back in my early days of doing genealogy I was a huge fan of phone books when traveling. Especially in the southern states. Every motel I stayed in, I'd look up my maiden name in the phone book and I found a LOT of them! I even called quite a few of them. I met some of the nicest people that way and most of them were Black! lol Had some really great times with people and we decided that they were probably descendants of my families former slaves who took the last name of the family. Not one of them seemed bitter or held anything against ME because of my family. I stayed in touch with them for a long time but over the years we've lost touch.

It wouldn't bother me in the least to know I had some slaves in my own background. I WOULD wonder who they were though.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,433 times
That's funny my gr. gr. gr. gr. gr grandmother IS Affadilla Deaver...
Quote:
I have a mix in my family tree that covers all categories:
*ancestors in Virginia, North and South Carolina who owned slaves
*ancestors who owned slaves and brought them with them to Illinois, where they were freed and assured of that freedom for ever after
*ancestors who were abolitionists, one being the second wife of my g-g-g-g-grandfather
Affadilla Deaver - Ohio History Central - A product of the Ohio Historical Society

But, ya know what, I also have a person in my tree who died in prison, convicted of murder. Another who seemed to have had a short residence in whatever county they chose, being regularly told to "move along" and take their snake oil business elsewhere. Even today, there are living family members who I wouldn't pee on to put out a fire.

I espouse the same philosophy towards ancestors as I do living and recently deceased family: you sure can't pick 'em like you can your friends I try to live as if the best qualities of the more admirable ancestors was passed to me, while the unsavory ones are explained as being a product of their time or just plain bad characters; I use them as an example of how not to conduct myself. I also keep in mind that we all become ancestors at some point; people living today will be judged down the road and consigned to admiration or shame. Just think of the descendants of the Fred Ph.elps family (West.boro B@ptists). A hundred years from now, there are probably going to be people who won't be thrilled to have those whackjobs as forebearers, but there's not much they'll be able to do about it.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:53 PM

2,783 posts, read 7,583,833 times
Lends a different spin on "my people can get in touch with your people".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy