Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 12:27 PM

520 posts, read 1,006,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
quote: "Although the willing African nations who sold their ENEMY tribes into slavery, they did not sell their own people into slavery. Your statement misses the premise that although they sold a person of similar race into an unknown slave system, it was not their own people."

Oh, so if they were they were from warring tribes, that was OK?

Let's not split hairs.

The point is that blacks were selling other blacks into slavery, and in Africa, keeping them as slaves as well.

Holly, obviously you are white and angry and, thus, fired off a response and did not fully understand the point I was making. I never said it was okay. However, most posts on this thread act as though these Afrikans who participated in the slave trade were just trading people for the heck of it. It was wrong; dead wrong. But, these people had no ties to the people in which they were selling. Contrary to white beliefs, we are not all brothers and sister and cousins; we actually, on occasion, do things like participate in slavery. Similar to what the Irish suffered at the hands of their Caucasian brethren.

POINT BEING: People who make comments that blacks were selling others blacks into slavery act as though they were selling their bretren or own people into slavery with the inference that blacks should be mad at ourselves for the viciousness of slavery. When, in fact, just as there are many white denominations, there are also many black denominations as well. Blacks understand this, and we hold those parties liable as well; but with all of your "dry snitching" on who else helped to partake in the enslavement of blacks, it still does not minimize the massive role of Europeans as instigator, motivator, orchestrator and financier of said movement.

It's so typical that of the 4 comments I posted, and of the 3 pages of insensitive and non-factual comments posted by others, what you tactically chose to invalidate. It's typical...but, unfortunately, not surprising.

Last edited by ajsmith365; 02-14-2011 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: grammatical fix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 12:37 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,458,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You must be very old considering slavery ended here over 145 years ago. Perhaps this was outside the U.S.? If not, you probably need to add a couple more greats on the front.
I dont get that one. Im in my late forties and Im the great grand daughter of slaves. My parents were in their forties when they had me so its very possible. Slavery may have ended in 1863? but africans were still transported to the U.S. and used as slaves after then.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:58 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Two points:

1) I doubt there are many people alive that if they traced their family tree far enough back don't have at least one slave holder in it. (This applies to people of all races etc.)

2) Slavery still exists in the US, especially in the sex trade. (They broke up a Chineses ring within miles of my home a few years ago.)

So, I would be more concerned that someone you know might CURRENTLY be supporting slavery with thier choices as opposed to someone from a long time ago.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:25 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Two points:

1) I doubt there are many people alive that if they traced their family tree far enough back don't have at least one slave holder in it. (This applies to people of all races etc.)

2) Slavery still exists in the US, especially in the sex trade. (They broke up a Chineses ring within miles of my home a few years ago.)

So, I would be more concerned that someone you know might CURRENTLY be supporting slavery with thier choices as opposed to someone from a long time ago.
There was something briefly on the news a few months ago about Ashton Kutcher, of all people, trying to bring this up as a cause. Seems like a good idea. Maybe some others can bring attention to this also and help prevent it going on today.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:25 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
That's not necessarily something worth being ashamed of- it was the social norm. Your relatives back then probably wouldn't approve of the hedonistic lifestyle many Americans enjoy today, and probably wouldn't recognize society.. it balances out.
I'm going to take exception to this statement. Owning another person was not an "accepted social norm." It was widely condemned, a contentious issue in the drafting of the Constitution, and unacceptable in much of Europe well before the Civil War. It is not the equivalent of a hedonistic lifestyle; it was an incredibly evil institution and a shame upon the honor of this country.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I'm going to take exception to this statement. Owning another person was not an "accepted social norm." It was widely condemned, a contentious issue in the drafting of the Constitution, and unacceptable in much of Europe well before the Civil War. It is not the equivalent of a hedonistic lifestyle; it was an incredibly evil institution and a shame upon the honor of this country.
I understand where your heart is with this one, but I have to respectfully disagree.

Slavery was an accepted institution in America and in Europe...for a time. But, in a way, your statement rings true. Owning another person was not an accepted social norm in America; however, blacks were not considered people - they were property. They were considered "sub-human" and destined for slavery by none other than the Holy Bible and Christianity (at least that's the interpretation of early Europeans).

The north had their role to play in slavery as someone in this thread has accurately pointed out (sorry not to cite you, but too busy/lazy to do so). Also, someone has accurately pointed out the root cause behind the North's support of keeping the South from leaving the Union. Moreover, Lincoln was not the great emancipator that people think. It was a tactical move, but we are grateful for it nonetheless.

I agree that it is not an equivalent of a hedonistic lifestyle and an incredibly evil institution.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmith365 View Post
I understand where your heart is with this one, but I have to respectfully disagree.

Slavery was an accepted institution in America and in Europe...for a time. But, in a way, your statement rings true. Owning another person was not an accepted social norm in America; however, blacks were not considered people - they were property. They were considered "sub-human" and destined for slavery by none other than the Holy Bible and Christianity (at least that's the interpretation of early Europeans).

The north had their role to play in slavery as someone in this thread has accurately pointed out (sorry not to cite you, but too busy/lazy to do so). Also, someone has accurately pointed out the root cause behind the North's support of keeping the South from leaving the Union. Moreover, Lincoln was not the great emancipator that people think. It was a tactical move, but we are grateful for it nonetheless.

I agree that it is not an equivalent of a hedonistic lifestyle and an incredibly evil institution.
I find it ironic that one group used the bible to justify slavery and then later on it was religious groups (christian) that were using the bible to try to stop slavery.

The other interesting thing is that 90% of the African slaves went to the carribean and S. America so the US was only the tip of the iceberg.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
There was something briefly on the news a few months ago about Ashton Kutcher, of all people, trying to bring this up as a cause. Seems like a good idea. Maybe some others can bring attention to this also and help prevent it going on today.
Yeah, I was hoping they were going to give these jerks the federal death penalty for slavery.

Feds dismantle major Chinese prostitution ring - National Law Enforcement | Examiner.com

I'm guessing they might have gotten off easier due to being Chinese nationals and that giving them the DP would have been politically difficult.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, I was hoping they were going to give these jerks the federal death penalty for slavery.

Feds dismantle major Chinese prostitution ring - National Law Enforcement | Examiner.com

I'm guessing they might have gotten off easier due to being Chinese nationals and that giving them the DP would have been politically difficult.
Since this is in regards to sex slaves, are you saying give the Chinese nationals a double-penetration (DP) or the death penalty (DP).

I guess either one would do it.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmith365 View Post
Since this is in regards to sex slaves, are you saying give the Chinese nationals a double-penetration (DP) or the death penalty (DP).

I guess either one would do it.
LOL....as long as either type of DP involved a chainsaw I'd be in favor of the outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy