Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:45 PM

10 posts, read 78,044 times

Advertisements

Like a person who is 100% white or 100% black?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 07:02 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
The human race is the only one.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:17 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Not very many folks, probably, but in some very homogeneous areas (China, Korea, possibly parts of Africa), there are probably people who are purely of one major racial origin.

There probably are very few, if any, people in the Americas whose ancestors come from just one continent.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:43 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
That's not a useful way to think of it. The people you think of as "whites" or "blacks" probably share genealogical ancestry over thousands of years, if not hundreds. You can't think of races as boxed categories, because they themselves are made up of multiple lineages, with gene flow between them.

You can imagine say even in history when people had limited mobility, an individual village deep in Africa and one far up north in Europe might not have met one another, but neighbours mixed with other neighbours and those neighbours with others etc.

So that if you go from say southern Europe to the Middle east, North Africa and then southern Africa, you will find people's features (say, skin colour, or hair curliness etc.) change on a continuum, because gene flow is going on between people and it'd be hard to point out where one race "starts" and "ends". The same goes, say if you went from eastern Europe through central Asia to Siberia. It's the natural barriers like oceans (and to a lesser extent, mountains and deserts) etc. that in the past prevented groups from mixing, which is why often populations that look very different are separated by them (ie. Native Americans before they could mix with Europeans).

We often forget this continuum, because modern transportation means that people from very different areas can move around in groups at a time (such as the descendants of slaves from West Africa, and say settlers from Scandinavian origin) see each other as purely separate groups rather than ranges on a continuum.

There are very few groups that have totally been isolated for thousands of years that are thought to not have interacted or mixed with other groups, if that's what you're asking though.

The Andaman Islanders in the Indian ocean are thought to be one of the most genetically isolated peoples in the world, having separated from other groups tens of thousands of years ago.

They're very few in number and dwindling and it might not last though.

Andamanese people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-14-2011, 10:13 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
Default Pure Race - The Jumping Gene

This article might be of interest...

Alu - The Jumping Gene

Then, of course, there is the Icelanders...

Iceland's Genetic Jackpot

Old 02-14-2011, 11:08 PM

20 posts, read 85,638 times
Some people do consider or think of themselves as 100% White. But they themselves could have had a 1 12x great grandparent, who had an Italian ancestor a thousand years ago, who had some African ancestry or something.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:58 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Since the human species originated in Africa, only Africans can be "pure." Whatever that is?

Old 02-15-2011, 04:33 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
This article might be of interest...Then, of course, there is the Icelanders...

Iceland's Genetic Jackpot
I think that Icelanders, while a homogeneous population, are the result of a mixture. Icelandic males being mainly Scandinavian in origin whereas Icelandic females of often of Celtic origin.

Mailund on the Internet » Blog Archive » Ancient DNA analysis of the Icelandic settlers

Old 02-15-2011, 05:04 AM

13 posts, read 76,209 times
I believe there is no such thing as one hundred percent pure white, biologically, I think that would be impossible. When European ancestors came to America they raped Indian women. Plus slave owners used to rape African women, and visa versa, black men raped white women.

I don’t believe any group is one hundred percent pure, and I would not be surprised if lots of European-descended Americans have at least 2-3 percent American Indian blood floating through their bodies.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:13 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeI View Post
I believe there is no such thing as one hundred percent pure white, biologically, I think that would be impossible. When European ancestors came to America they raped Indian women. Plus slave owners used to rape African women, and visa versa, black men raped white women.

I don’t believe any group is one hundred percent pure, and I would not be surprised if lots of European-descended Americans have at least 2-3 percent American Indian blood floating through their bodies.

Considering the consequences of that act, I highly doubt that happened very often. Black men were brutally attacked for existing, never mind looking at a white woman. Though it may have happened a select few times, the notion of black men raping white women with any regularity is the stuff of fantasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy