Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:39 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,378,427 times

Advertisements

My ex is part Iowa(y)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 02:18 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,682 times
My G-grandmother was from Chihuahua, Mexico and of course, we considered ourselves to be part Mexican. We recently discovered she was actually an Apache and some family members are enrolling in her tribe. I bet there are a lot of people throughout the Southwest with similar situations.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:24 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,169,437 times
My paternal g/mother was 1/4 Native American but I have forgot from which tribe. All I remember is that it was one of the Ohio tribes. She was born in 1885 and died in 1974. I was 27 when we lost her so I remember her well. I spent a lot of time with her. In fact, every chance I got. One of my favorite people on earth. I loved that lady.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:53 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,107 times
I was not born in this country, but my daughter was. Her grandmother was 50% native american...however she was given up for adoption as a baby and we have no way of tracing it unfortunately...though my daughter very much wants to.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:59 PM

174 posts, read 540,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Probably a high percent along and west of the Appalachians but very little along the East Coast. Also more further South, since the Cherokees frequently married Whites but the Northern tribes rarely did.

I'm 1/64th Cherokee myself. Half of Eastern Kentucky's "Maggard's" also have Cherokee blood. (2 Maggard brothers came to KY, one married an Indian, the other (one of my ancestors) didn't)
A good estimate, but I've met a number of white people from the eastern seaboard who had significant indigenous ancestry. Many from Tidewater Virginia (it's been going on there since the early 1600s,) the flatter parts of Maryland, a guy from the Hudson Valley of NY who was part Mohawk, and alluding to what you said, other parts of the Southeastern Seaboard.

It seems rarest in large areas of the western USA excluding places such as Oklahoma of course. This is especially seems to be the case in areas overwhelmingly settled by late 19th/early 20th century European immigrants (who were recruited by the US government to "replace" the indigenous populations in those regions) as well as many born back east who held much animosity toward those indigenous peoples. The mormon region is a perfect example of this (white people having lots of kids with other white people, generation after generation.)

This anti-indigenous sentiment also runs high in large areas of western Canada adjacent to similar areas of the USA.

Last edited by Cthulhu7; 07-11-2012 at 07:17 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 07:35 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,203,193 times
My great great grand dad came from Ireland in the mid 1800s as a legal immigrate. He along with thousands of others settled in NC where they often married native american women. My great grand mother was almost full bloodied native american. There were many tribes in NC but most died out. I dont know the tribe she came from.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:50 PM

393 posts, read 1,496,990 times
I remember when I was a child in Virginia, and the "in" thing was to have a Cherokee princess as a grandmother. All of my friends claimed to have one.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:16 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
I remember when I was a child in Virginia, and the "in" thing was to have a Cherokee princess as a grandmother. All of my friends claimed to have one.
I always wonder where that came from. Seems like a weird "trend" in genealogy.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:58 AM

393 posts, read 1,496,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I always wonder where that came from. Seems like a weird "trend" in genealogy.
I don't know where it came from, this was back around 1970. I had just moved to Virginia and didn't know anything about it until I got there. It always sounded strange to me.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:36 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Funny, when there were no Cherokee "princesses"! Chief's daughters, no doubt of that - but traditionally, Cherokees had a matrilinial (sp?) society, with seven clans whose membership ran through the maternal line.

Of course, this being Virginia, it's quite possible your childhood friends were descendants of Pocahontas, who married John Rolfe and was viewed as an "Indian princess" when she was presented at court in London. She was not Cherokee, however. Pocahontas had only one son, and died at a sadly young age while in England, but she has many descendants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy