Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 12:28 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

I've met more than a few full blood Indians (But, then again, I work within Indian Country). I've found that you'll typically find full blooded Indians within the tribes that have 1/4 or higher blood quantum. But, even here, one has to be careful as full blood on paper isn't necessarily full blood genetically. This is primarily due to the fact that not every member on a particular Indian base roll was full blood, though they may have been indicated as such. It also accounts for the fact that some Indian tribes, for enrollment purposes, have passed legislation stating that anyone in the tribe at a certain date is considered full blood, though in reality many did not meet this requirement.

But you'll find a lot of full bloods within the Mississippi Band of Choctaw (they have a 1/2 Mississippi Choctaw blood requirement, so being full blood is not out of the norm there) and, as some others have said, within some of the western tribes that don't allow for membership solely based on lineal descent; you'll also find more than a handful within the remote regions of Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 09:28 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I've met more than a few full blood Indians (But, then again, I work within Indian Country). I've found that you'll typically find full blooded Indians within the tribes that have 1/4 or higher blood quantum. But, even here, one has to be careful as full blood on paper isn't necessarily full blood genetically. This is primarily due to the fact that not every member on a particular Indian base roll was full blood, though they may have been indicated as such. It also accounts for the fact that some Indian tribes, for enrollment purposes, have passed legislation stating that anyone in the tribe at a certain date is considered full blood, though in reality many did not meet this requirement.

But you'll find a lot of full bloods within the Mississippi Band of Choctaw (they have a 1/2 Mississippi Choctaw blood requirement, so being full blood is not out of the norm there) and, as some others have said, within some of the western tribes that don't allow for membership solely based on lineal descent; you'll also find more than a handful within the remote regions of Canada.
That is interesting information. I was once shocked by someone on City-Data stating that they had never met a Jew. I wondered how that could be possible--but then, I realized I had never met an Indian, at least not one who adheres to their traditions and identifies with a specific nation. I'm in New Jersey. It's easy to see how someone in another part of the country that did not draw Jewish immigrants as the East Coast cities did might never meet a Jewish person.

Since then I've visited the Western Rim of the Grand Canyon, which is cared for by the Hualapai, and so I did meet the ones who worked there.

While we do have some remnants of original people here, they are few and far between. You get a lot of people CLAIMING they have Indian blood, but I don't believe most of them. It seems to be a popular thing to say, but when I know your great-grandparents were born in Ireland or Italy, it's kind of hard to swallow that some Cherokee--because they are ALWAYS Cherokee--wandered up to Newark in the 20th century and impregnated one of their daughters. My family has been here since the 1700s and 1800s, and I have no Indian heritage.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:45 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,660 times
One of the witnesses when I married my wife in our living room is full blooded Choctaw. There are many in the Western Arkansas and Eastern Oklahoma area.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:50 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Most likely an ancestor came to New Jersey from the Southeast during the Industrial migration. So not far-fetched at all, unless you know the lineage of ALL the grandparents.

I see a lot of my neighbors in Knoxville who look like they have Cherokee ancestry, even though they don't identify as such. During the trail of tears, many Native families left the lighter skinned children behind to be adopted by neighbors.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:26 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
During the trail of tears, many Native families left the lighter skinned children behind to be adopted by neighbors.
Source? That sounds very odd, and is something I've never heard before.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:37 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Most likely an ancestor came to New Jersey from the Southeast during the Industrial migration. So not far-fetched at all, unless you know the lineage of ALL the grandparents.

I see a lot of my neighbors in Knoxville who look like they have Cherokee ancestry, even though they don't identify as such. During the trail of tears, many Native families left the lighter skinned children behind to be adopted by neighbors.
That's plausible...in one or two cases. But how likely is it that there are hundreds of white people running around north Jersey who had that sort of situational Indian ancestry? It's a common claim.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:24 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times
Based on my travels the best region to what you are looking for are the northern territories of Canada, including Northwest Territories, Nunavut, and the northern remote reaches of Quebec. Trust me when I say that most of these subarctic peoples and tribes are in no way shape or form remotely "white" in appearance.

In the states, I have found that typically members residing on the Navajo and Pueblo reservations to look pure native in appearance.

In general, outside a few other select reservations mostly scattered throughout the inter-mountain west, the proportion of pure-blooded Native-Americans decreases greatly. I know the current census says that Native American and Alaskan Native peoples constitute 1% of the population. My guess is that the real figure is probably around 0.4 or 0.5%.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:32 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,302,458 times
I was born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona and there's a moderate amount of Native Americans that intermix. My 6th grade Math teacher was actually Hopi and culturally fully Hopi. She did a day where she shared the culture of her people and brought in some things and it was very interesting.

I also went on a week long "mission trip" to help out a church and community on the Navajo reservation and obviously met a lot of what people would call full blood natives.

With that said "full blood" Native Americans are probably more mixed than one would guess due to historical populations.

That's a hypothesis for a lot of people why tribes are tenuous with using DNA results link to tribal membership. Some people have lost their tribal status due to that.

Personally I think there's a difference between your DNA and your culture. The latter can be changed as well. If a Native American adopts a child with no Native American DNA but they are raised in that culture where does that fit?

Likewise if I find I have distant Native American ancestry and want to absorb a lot of the culture and learn it and respect it why not identify with it *shrug*.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:01 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
truly full blooded, i would say none on low side and no more than 10 in the whole united states

Old 12-13-2014, 10:03 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
truly full blooded, i would say none on low side and no more than 10 in the whole united states
Good, random uneducated guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy