Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 09:16 PM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
In order to be 1/4 you'd need a full blooded first grandparent, which would make your mother or father HALF. One of your grandparents from Suriname or French Guyana?
Not necessarily. You can be 1/4 by having two 1/4 parents, whose parents (one's paternal and maternal grandparents) were also 1/4, among other combinations.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 01-12-2015 at 09:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 08:09 AM

2 posts, read 7,100 times
I, like most Americans, have fantasied ideas about Indians ranging from torturing barbarians to noble savages that have a better understanding of man's place in the universe. I am from New England but spent many years in Nebraska so have both the Pilgrim's view of helpful Indians to the torturing plains Indian - the Comanche. Is there anything called the truth or do we have to settle always for self-serving perspective.

I recently read S.C. Gwynne's Empire of the Summer Moon - the story of the West, Quanah Parker and the Comanches. He makes the point that nowhere in the history of mankind had two cultures directly collided that were separated by a thousand plus years of westernized thought and industrial development. A conquerer's guilt is ridiculous because the dominant culture will always prevail- but how do you assimilate someone who has a 1000 years of catch-up to do. I don't believe reservations were the answer.

I read with fascination here of the almost FBI - Comanche - who writes beautifully, served in the US Air Force and has married a couple of white women. If he is now "like me"and has bridged that 1000 year gap and no longer has to sleep on the High Plains, is not infested with lice and does not roast children, the cataclysmic encounter with white men has had a happy ending for all of us. We have our scalps and they have indoor plumbing and heating.

But mankind as a whole is still capable of atrocities that are found nowhere else in the animal kingdom -ISIS. If we could all become more like animals - that is, refraining from torture - and have more respect for Mother Earth - finally, we'd be getting somewhere.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 7,100 times
please do

Old 02-22-2015, 06:16 PM

215 posts, read 389,996 times
it's nauseating to read through half these posts so IM just going to give the OP the best advice anyone here can ever give them

I haven't read through it all , but just send a PM to AppalachianGumbo

that's their username here.

I guarantee they will know the truth of everything you re asking for and a hell of a lot more than at least half the people who've responded to this thread already

take care.

as for pure blooded or relatively pure blooded Indians still around in the U.S. ? yes they do exist, probably a lot more than most realize

the problem is, OP, you are "off the Rez" and many of those with still strong Native bloodlines live in reservations

I imagine natives in the west coast , as a group, are probably the least mixed with any white blood/ancestry than anyone else n terms of entire groups of natives

but you can easily find pure blooded or damn close to being pure blooded Native North American Indians who came from North of the Rio Grande on any reservation

and most reservations have a certain time when they are partly open to tourists since its one of their main ways to make money.

but in terms of individual yes even pure blooded Native Americans still exist everywhere from east to west to north in America but many live in reservations, which is why they are still pure pure blooded

most native American reservations have people with a lot or mostly or even pure Native ancestry along with people of mixed native and some white ancestry usually

each reservation has different rules for tribal membership qualification and despite what people think, they make their own rules in regards to blood quantum now for membership, differs from tribe to tribe.

and the truth is, there' not even half as many White people with mixed or 1/16 or whatever Native American ancestry as claim to be. For many they have no real clue if that is true about their family or not and most genetic studies show there just cant be as much mixture as went on as all the "white people with a little Indian/Cherokee blood" claim or else there world no Native American left at all

the truth is, most Native Americans who actually live in reservations or who do have alot of native ancestry, 1/2 or 1/4 etc.... laugh just about every time they hear a white person say they have "some" native American ancestry or a "little bit" of Indian blood. That's hat I've been told by someone who did have a lot of true Native American ancestry and who has official tribal membership in a federally recognized tribe.

the truth is, if you have Native ancestry back to the 1800's it would be documented.

other than that how can anyone tell if they have, for example "1/16" of anything????? if its that far back, it wasn't documented.

if you have a DNA test that shows it then its one thing since that's actual proof, other than that it's just stupid unsubstantiated family lore.

one poster sad they had 1/16 Cherokee and 1/16 Blackfoot? I can tell just by common sense and just by how that sounds that's very very seriously most likely completely not true.

anyway, if the OP is serious about the questions then send a PM to the user named AppalachianGumbo they can and will tell you the truth of everything you are asking about, other than that don't listen to a word anyone says who doesn't have recent documented native american ancestry. there's a lot of "myths" to a lot of this crap more than most white people really know and understand.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:20 PM

96 posts, read 234,726 times
Default Absolutely correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodleyankee View Post
True examples? How about the Lakota and Blackfeet? They look very different from the southwest tribes you named; Zuni, Apache and Navajo and have fullblood members. What about the Inca Indians of Peru? What about the Amazonian Indians? Aren't those fullbloods great representation of NDN variation of Amerindians throughout the Americas?

You have very limited exposure to Native Americans. This is like saying Irish people are "true examples" of what Europeans should look like.
My family is Niitsitapi. We are all lighter complected. Siksika, the farther north you go, the lighter complected. Unfortunately SOMEONE in my family married someone white so I am the only blue eyed person in my family. It's shameful to me. I always questioned whether or not I was adopted and cried because of it. I'm not adopted, however, it is just proof that there are many of us who are truly Indigenous but look different. And it makes it difficult to fit in with those on the rez as well. Half blood, Half breed, apple, etc. Racism is alive and well on both sides of the fence. However, I am so very proud to KNOW I am Niitsitapi. When I die, I will walk with my ancestors. That's all I need to know.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:13 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,264 times
Lots of women love blue eyed men. I'm not blue eyed though. My daughter is. She got it from her mom. I look white (have high cheekbones) but 300 years ago I had a full blooded native ancestor who was 3/4 Choctaw 1/4 Cherokee. He tried to get himself enrolled at the Mississippi Commission but he was denied because his dad had died when he was 5 and his mother died when he was a bit older so he basically had no information to give to the Commission when they interviewed him and his kids at the age of 70. I suspect if his folks had lived longer, he would've gotten enrolled by his parents. He probably couldn't read or write because back then it was illegal for natives to go to school in the Mississippi area back then 300 years ago. I inherited some physical attributes that are known to native americans. I have extremely wide feet with a high arch so it has become really difficult to get shoes that fit and when I find them in speciality shoe stores, they cost a fortune. My son inherited it. My daughter didn't.
Attached Thumbnails
how many real full blood Native Americans are the in the USA?-5de47fa5-011a-4200-98e6-252843a199ad.jpeg  

Old 08-21-2015, 05:58 AM

927 posts, read 969,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
Then how do you know your 1/4 Arawak? The Lokono in South America are the only non-extinct Arawaks. In order to be 1/4 you'd need a full blooded first grandparent, which would make your mother or father HALF. One of your grandparents from Suriname or French Guyana?
Yes, thats correct my grandfather is 100%.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:09 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
[quote=DCforever;17968566]Many/Most "Mexicans" are predominantly Native American. Only about 10% of the population of Mexico is Spanish.[/QUOTE]

You're post is misleading most people in Mexico are mestizo(mixed). Mexicans on average are about 50% Amerindian and 50% European the northern regions of Mexico are more European than the southern, of course there are still many Mexicans that are full blooded Amerindian or near but they are a minority, along the Caribbean you will also find individuals that have black features due to the Atlantic slave trade.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:17 PM

23 posts, read 40,691 times
[quote=AFP;40904768]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Many/Most "Mexicans" are predominantly Native American. Only about 10% of the population of Mexico is Spanish.[/QUOTE]

You're post is misleading most people in Mexico are mestizo(mixed). Mexicans on average are about 50% Amerindian and 50% European the northern regions of Mexico are more European than the southern, of course there are still many Mexicans that are full blooded Amerindian or near but they are a minority, along the Caribbean you will also find individuals that have black features due to the Atlantic slave trade.
Mexicans also have an average 5% SSAfrican component

" We observed clustering largely by Native American, African, and
European ancestry, with the Hispanic/Latino populations showing
genetic similarity with all of these populations. However, significant
population differences exist, with the Dominicans and
Puerto Ricans showing the highest levels of African ancestry
(41.8% and 23.6% African, SDs 16% and 12%), whereasMexicans
and Ecuadorians show the lowest levels of African ancestry (5.6%
and 7.3% African, SDs 2% and 5%) and the highest Native
American ancestries (50.1% and 38.8% Native American, SDs
13% and 10%). We also found extensive variation in European,
Native American and African ancestry among individuals within
each population. A clear example could be observed in the Mexican
sample, in which ancestry proportions ranged from predominantly
Native American to predominantly European (with
generally low levels of African ancestry)"

http://www.pnas.org/content/107/Supp.../8954.full.pdf

Old 08-29-2015, 02:26 PM

23 posts, read 40,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn82 View Post
not sure about now, but historically, at least tribes from the SE United States, like the Creek and Cherokee, counted tribal membership through descent from the maternal line

they had a matriarchal society, so even if you, as in individual were 90% European/White , and even if your mother was too, but she had an ancestor who was a native, then you would be allowed into that tribe, by their own standards.

Even during the Creek War with Andrew Jackson, the Creek tribal leader of the Red-Sticks was only 1/8 native America but 7/8 White/Scotch-Irish

But he had been raised in the tribe because he was descended from a prominent Creek Indian through his mother's line so they saw him as their "family"

tribal relations have nothing to do with race. They are only about descent and genealogy like a Scottish Clan or something

at least historically they were,. But now, tribal memberships and Indian Reservations are more about not only that but the preservation of the Native Americans themselves and their cultures, so blood quantem and genetic make up/racial make up figures into that.

But how tribal membership was counted historically is why you sometimes see people who either just look white or heavily mixed in some recognized tribes today. It's because they count on who you are descended from but for others the blood quantam means more or matter just as much too.
Some of the SE tribes owe their copper color to African American ancestors, especially Va. and NC. My family were Free Coloreds who mixed with Native American Monocan, Tuscarora, Meherrin, Cherokee, Nottoway, and Tutelo. These groups contd. mixing with Free mulattos and their descendants until 1930s, so I know for sure where much of that color comes from. The Lumbee(Croatan) were not the only ones mixing races with FPOC. Some of my present family is enrolled with the Haliwa Saponi however. There is a reason why they are called "Triracial Isolates"

I also have ancestors from Choctaw/Creek(listed as both on the Dawes Roll) ancestry, but they were Freedmen, so I have no idea how Indian they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy