U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 06:56 PM

14,131 posts, read 28,444,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Kind a racist sort of classification without scientific foundation. Native Americans are primarily from Y chromosome haplogroups C and Q. C haplogroup members were coastal fishermen. The most prevalent haplogroup among Native Americans is Q, which is also found in North Asia, Russia, and Scandinavia populations. North Asians are genetically a very diverse group with at least 7 major major haplogroup represented. Mongolians generally have no Q haplogroup membership.

Let's not try to revive discredited 19th century notions of race on a genealogical board.
My haplogroup "G" ancestors after leaving Africa settled in Iraq and became the neolithic peoples. They then moved north to the Caucuses area between the Black and Caspian Seas. From there they spread West into Germany and East into India and Southeast Asia, reaching all the way to the Phillipines. I believe you'll find folks that closely match my dna amongst all three "oids".
Rate this post positively

Old 03-03-2011, 07:00 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,689,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post

Now I know where all our "powers" come from.....aaayyyee.
OMG- You're a Trekky nerd TOO? Bwahahahaha! Are you sure you're not my long lost brother or something?

Old 03-03-2011, 08:44 PM

32,837 posts, read 18,621,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
My haplogroup "G" ancestors after leaving Africa settled in Iraq and became the neolithic peoples. They then moved north to the Caucuses area between the Black and Caspian Seas. From there they spread West into Germany and East into India and Southeast Asia, reaching all the way to the Phillipines. I believe you'll find folks that closely match my dna amongst all three "oids".
Good post.

OH!! I am not going to touch that "oids" remark.

And I am frequently mistaken for Phillipino when visiting L.A. I was also asked if I was Native Hawaiian when on vacation there.

*(I guess all us BIG brown people tend to start looking alike when we hit the 300 lb mark!)

Old 03-03-2011, 08:49 PM

6,843 posts, read 7,040,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Good post.

And I am frequently mistaken for Phillipino when visiting L.A. I was also asked if I was Native Hawaiian when on vacation there.

*(I guess all us BIG brown people tend to start looking alike when we hit the 300 lb mark!)
Learn to do a Haka and we may be able to get you a pro football contract.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:34 PM

3,334 posts, read 5,487,007 times
Quote:
Good post.

Hehe, I've gotten that as well in Hawaii. I did learn that there are some Kiowas (I forget what family) that put a powwow on there in Honolulu. Now would be a nice place for a dance!

Old 03-07-2011, 02:43 PM

24,661 posts, read 35,593,442 times
Quote:
Good post.

I'm an Afro-Atlantic mutt, big and brown, and in Hawaii and California I was asked if I were kanaka maoli (Native Hawaiian) as well.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:45 PM

24,661 posts, read 35,593,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Hehe, I've gotten that as well in Hawaii. I did learn that there are some Kiowas (I forget what family) that put a powwow on there in Honolulu. Now would be a nice place for a dance!

When I lived there, a band from the indigenous Peruvian community (Quechua) was a guest artist at the Polynesian Cultural Center in Laie. The Polys billed the band as "Our South American Cousins."

Old 04-05-2011, 10:07 PM

10,564 posts, read 14,472,184 times
All I can really say about the matter is that one of the hottest Asian girls I ever met was up in Seattle. It turned out she was Native Alaskan.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:16 AM

14,131 posts, read 28,444,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
All I can really say about the matter is that one of the hottest Asian girls I ever met was up in Seattle. It turned out she was Native Alaskan.
What's with the "Native Alaskan"? That would be anyone born in that state, just as I'm a "Native Californian". I think you mean Inuit, yes?

Old 04-06-2011, 04:36 AM

860 posts, read 1,839,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
What's with the "Native Alaskan"? That would be anyone born in that state, just as I'm a "Native Californian". I think you mean Inuit, yes?

Actually what he means is Alaska Natives. Yes, there are Inuit, and Aleut and Tlinget and Haida and Timshian, Taltan and a few more tribes I'm probably forgetting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy