U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:38 AM

8,308 posts, read 36,208,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Once you start looking at humanity from the aspect of genetics you realize how ridiculous it is to divide us up into arbitrary groups like that rather than viewing us as a spectrum of slight variations that started from a single source and worked its way outward.
I suspect that this is exactly true. Classifying human remains as caucasoid, negroid or mongoloid has some applications in paleo-anthropology but it isn't very useful in any "here and now" sense (maybe with the exception of forensic investigation).
Rate this post positively

Old 04-06-2011, 05:00 PM

10,564 posts, read 14,472,184 times
Quote:
What's with the "Native Alaskan"? That would be anyone born in that state, just as I'm a "Native Californian". I think you mean Inuit, yes?
You know what I mean.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:46 AM

23,621 posts, read 16,757,671 times
Quote:
What's with the "Native Alaskan"? That would be anyone born in that state, just as I'm a "Native Californian". I think you mean Inuit, yes?
I remember seeing a tribal chief in Minnesota who had Long blonde hair and blue eyes. He was probably 1/8 or less Native American, but I guess he's still considered Native American. By that standard I can qualify.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:22 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,359,254 times
Lightbulb Muttville

I was doing research and happened upon this thread. Never having posted before on such forums I am a little skittish. Am I just shooting from the hip like everyone else - since none of us know for sure??? Yeah, 'fraid so. Is what I have to offer of any benefit to anyone, I ask myself??? No, but here goes.

Alaskan's are human beings....and I agree with the post that said, and I am majorly paraphrasing here, "we get into trouble when we start pigeonholing folks due to genetics."

Natural selection, environmental genetic adaptions or mutations, preservation migrations, and wars that caused major invasions into other countries are all variables that are not always placed on the table when DNA or race are discussed. Sure Native Americans might have or most likely had originated in Asia, then took a long stroll to the Americas - but why? Curiosity or necessity? And from what part of Asia??? Some look Chinese, others Korean, or Japanese, while still others simply look Native American – a separate race unto themselves. This brings natural selection and genetic adaptations into the picture as in much shorter South American tribes because of the low, green canopies in the forests yet taller folks ended up roaming the North American plains.

Also we need mention that the western areas of Asia have more than a few drops of Euro “trash” blood – just kidding about the trash part - in them from proximity breeding. Then we can take into account the major mixing of blood in the Mediterranean areas (i.e. Middle Eastern countries, France, Italy, Spain, Greece, and Africa etc.) -even way back when, which also infused blood into the Euro mix and also seeped into Asians.

This is all before the great exodus and/or nomadic wanderings to America from Asia.

So what am I trying to say....face it, we're all mutts!

Though some may appear to be more purebred then others - looks can be deceiving. Case in point I am a ginger so therefore I must be of Irish, Viking or Russian origin – though I think Russia is the first origin of redheaded folks and then it trickled south – and I dare say the red hair was possibly due to some freakish genetic mutation. (I realize some evolutionist would argue it came from the orangutangs, but I am not an evolutionist, I am a Christian, therefore my ancestors were not orangutangs. Besides, how gross to think our ancestors were apes/ monkeys??? They throw their own poop at each other! If we are though, as in God placed us in a monkey suit in the beginning, thank goodness the desire or trait to throw our own poop has been bred out of us - well, at least most of us.)

Yet back to my heritage, my father is supposedly 100 percent English according to our family tree – then why is he short, dark haired, dark eyed and with a deep olive skin tone and with one heck of a temperament???? Me think some Latin or Persian or a Turk got in there somewhere along the line. Then on my mother's side is where the Celtic look came in although one of my aunts has a disease associated only with African Americans while another has an illness confined to the Jewish race???? This leads me to believe that I am a true “uber mutt.” Yet, every Brit I meet swears I look entirely Celtic!

In the end, we are all one family, so love others accordingly – but as if we are a functional family, not a dysfunctional one. God made us all and loves us all the same!!!

Last edited by GINGERSNAP1963; 01-01-2013 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: misspelling/ forgot something

Old 01-01-2013, 02:09 PM

13,889 posts, read 19,366,317 times

The three great races according to Meyers Konversations-Lexikon of 1885-90. The subtypes of the Mongoloid race are shown in yellow and orange tones, those of the Europid race in light and medium grayish spring green-cyan tones and those of the Negroid race in brown tones. Dravidians and Sinhalese are in olive green and their classification is described as uncertain. The Mongoloid race sees the widest geographic distribution, including all of the Americas, North Asia, East Asia and Southeast Asia, the entire inhabited Arctic.

Really interesting topic. Of course, instead of concentrating on racial aspect, as "mongoloid" should not be discussed in other terms, it went down geopolitical and social paths.
I, also, figure it depends who you listen to, as there is so much venom boiled around racial types, that even gentle and honest conversation on them becomes very "slippery".
I grew on four races. Europoid, Mongoloid, Caucasoid, and Negroid. All of them with quite distinct phenotype, allowing to draw reasonable demarcation lines between them. Apparently there is theoretically Australoid race, but latest theories refer them to proto-Euroopids that migrated to Africa and to then conjoined Australia.
IN strict term of "race" Siberian and Alaskan "indians" are Mongoloids. SO are Mayans and about all of both Americas "indians" as "indian" is a very poor toponimic word choice for those peoples. I'd rather use "natives" in sense of original population settled in both Americas BEFORE other races showed up and mixed in their genotype, causing changes in phenotype.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:33 AM

Hi ukrkoz, I agree with you sort of. But if you are basing your "theory" on us humans coming from apes and then spreading out I will have to politely disagree with you since there is actually no real evidence to make it a scientific fact. Our DNA is close to many other critters here on Earth as well. There is also no evidence to back up my belief that Africa was possibly the location of The Garden of Eden. So we are both only just theorizing but human migration and then adaptation to our environment is such an interesting topic. I truly do see adaptation, among other variables like natural selection, social influences, etc. has being the reason we all look or act a little differently.

Simple case in point, I have a very high tolerance for frigidly cold weather, and being a ginger that must be a gene I inherited from my Russian or Viking ancestors. Yet lightly stubbing my toe can send me into a fit of curse words and dreadful pain??? Redheads have been scientifically proven to have a extremely low tolerance for pain. But why? Hum, that's a question for the more educated. How did the Vikings conquer so many folks when they couldn't handle a stubbed toe? It must have first been that huge pole ax they had to behead and maim others before they would get a scratch on themselves in battles. Then they could just rely on a reputation that proceeded them and fright factor due to their larger, taller statures and scary fiery locks under their horned helmets. Then women began to view men with red hair as being less masculine than their darker haired cousins and slowly, selectively bred most of them out of society. Did one woman say to another way back when, “Oh honey, you don't want that red-haired man, he's big and looks rough and tough but he's a real wuss when it comes to pain. I saw him cry like a baby when he stubbed his toe the other day.” ???? Possible scenario???? OR could it have been the rumors that people with red hair were all Jewish and so the ignorant, (regarding their previous beliefs about Jewish folks,) Christians avoided them like the plague?

Anyway, I believe these studies into our past will help us eventually breed a better future.

Has anyone taken notice that young women are now seeking men who are more compassionate, peace loving, nurturing, and intelligent rather than the once highly desired Alpha male? He had a purpose for many years but now women are finding his brutish Alpha traits to be utterly repugnant. In generations to come I foresee the decline of the roguish, conquer all or be conquered Alpha male in the more "advanced" societies and in his place there will be men who will use their wits not their brawn in most cases, and men who will consider the overall consequences to others before making major decisions, and not just in war either.

Let's face it, the Alpha male is how we all got where we are today, (Mongol and European invasions into the Americas and other uncharted territories,) but the tide is turning because we have all found a place to plant our roots and for many of us, we have found our hearts as well. Looking back and realizing what some of our ancestors did was wrong to others was our first step into this new era of humanity. Guilt was the first sign of this new development as humans.

I am not saying there aren't still Alpha males out there who think they had every right to conquer/ squash other nations but they are slowly being bred out of our societies.

Hear that ladies? You are the ones with the power to change how humankind interacts with each other. Selective breeding my dears, selective breeding.

Last edited by GINGERSNAP1963; 01-02-2013 at 10:43 AM..

Old 01-02-2013, 01:53 PM

31,371 posts, read 33,803,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
[/b]Really interesting topic. Of course, instead of concentrating on racial aspect, as "mongoloid" should not be discussed in other terms, it went down geopolitical and social paths....
I think that this forum should stick to birth records and family narratives and leave the human migration theory to other forums where you might learn how convoluted and confused your ideas are on the subject.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:26 PM

Just wanted to add something since I mentioned guilt as being a driving force to make us better humans.

This is probably way too late and more than a dollar short but I would like to publicly apologize for my ancestors behavior towards the Native Americans. The Cherokee and Comanche to be more specific since my ancestors settled first in East Tennessee – many years before the “Trail of Tears,” and then a branch went off to Texas to steal land from the Comanches, well at first it was to fight at the Alamo but then they stayed and built homesteads/forts on the Comanche's land.

Why is that in the state of Texas, it is perfectly legal to kill someone who trespasses on your land yet the Comanche and other native tribes in the area were not allowed to do likewise? Kind of hypercritical isn't it?

So when my Aunt Zelda, or whatever her name might have been, was hanging out her husband's whitey tighties on a clothesline embedded in your land and you sought retribution in whatever form because it doesn't matter being that it was justified; oh, she got what was coming to her.

The audacity and arrogance of my ancestors to dub you savages for protecting your own land embarrasses me to no end. I am very sorry for their actions and their words. It shames me to realize that I have self-righteous thieves in my genetic pool.

As far as African Americans go I am not aware of any of my ancestors owning slaves but I am truly sorry if they did. But since that they were in East Tennessee, a notorious location for abolitionist, and my family's traditional thoughts - vehemently opposing slavery, I don't think we ever did.

Then returning to my Viking ancestral roots, oh goodness gracious sakes, I am so very sorry to everyone for their behavior. I think I'll go hide in a corner now with my tail between my legs.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:48 PM

I'm sorry I high-jacked your forum. I am a newbie. Please forgive me. I'll go on my way.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,587,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GINGERSNAP1963 View Post

Hear that ladies? You are the ones with the power to change how humankind interacts with each other. Selective breeding my dears, selective breeding.
The current trend of breeding, at least in America, is that the lower IQ and less educated breed more than the higher IQ and more educated. What will the future population of this world turn into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy