Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 02:34 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
The Alaskans are just more recent arrivals from Asia.
Is that really true? I may be wrong but I think the evidence is they all arrived in the New World around the same time.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:46 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
Quote:
American Indians themselves are Mongoloid. The Alaskans are just more recent arrivals from Asia.
Ah-hem! There are many of us who have NO "mongoloid" traits, etc. Long story short there is no simple black-and-white, either-or answer.

--Nighteyes

Old 03-02-2011, 09:49 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Ah-hem! There are many of us who have NO "mongoloid" traits, etc. Long story short there is no simple black-and-white, either-or answer.

--Nighteyes
Broad cheekbones, squarish jaw. Looks Mongoloid to me. Mongoloid is a broad definition, it can cover looks that range from East Asian to Southeast Asian to even South American.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:32 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Once you start looking at humanity from the aspect of genetics you realize how ridiculous it is to divide us up into arbitrary groups like that rather than viewing us as a spectrum of slight variations that started from a single source and worked its way outward.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:17 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Once you start looking at humanity from the aspect of genetics you realize how ridiculous it is to divide us up into arbitrary groups like that rather than viewing us as a spectrum of slight variations that started from a single source and worked its way outward.
Excellent point. My people never walk around saying, "We are mongoloid, just look at our cheek bones!" @

We are *Kui-gwu. (That's *Kiowa to you)

Like fullback, I also tend to see similarity between south american indigenous people and north american.

I also love to hear anthro's arguing and categorizing humans into neat little brackets. IMHO all archeological evidence is based on people scratching in the dirt and then scratching their heads and coming up with profound theories like "broad cheekbones, square jaws, must be mongoloid."

A scholar visiting my tribe in the 1850s or so (in what is now Oklahoma) noted that during his stay, there were Kiowa's visiting tribes in Canada and another party went as far south as Durango (where they saw monkeys), this shows just how much any group of people can send offshoots into distant lands. It should be no different throughout humankind's history.

It's like asking are all caucasian/european's vikings or neanderthals?

Old 03-03-2011, 07:48 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Broad cheekbones, squarish jaw. Looks Mongoloid to me. Mongoloid is a broad definition, it can cover looks that range from East Asian to Southeast Asian to even South American.
Kind a racist sort of classification without scientific foundation. Native Americans are primarily from Y chromosome haplogroups C and Q. C haplogroup members were coastal fishermen. The most prevalent haplogroup among Native Americans is Q, which is also found in North Asia, Russia, and Scandinavia populations. North Asians are genetically a very diverse group with at least 7 major major haplogroup represented. Mongolians generally have no Q haplogroup membership.

Let's not try to revive discredited 19th century notions of race on a genealogical board.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:13 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Kind a racist sort of classification without scientific foundation. Native Americans are primarily from Y chromosome haplogroups C and Q. C haplogroup members were coastal fishermen. The most prevalent haplogroup among Native Americans is Q, which is also found in North Asia, Russia, and Scandinavia populations. North Asians are genetically a very diverse group with at least 7 major major haplogroup represented. Mongolians generally have no Q haplogroup membership.

Let's not try to revive discredited 19th century notions of race on a genealogical board.
And let's not forget the teeth. Anyone remember reading the "shovel-shaped incisors" research? God, this brings up some memories of anthro-l.

How the word mongoloid was first used and in what context versus how it is used in layman's terms a hundred years later would be a good point.

Haven't we all read somewhere the phrase Down Syndrome baby born with "mongoloid" features.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:25 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
And let's not forget the teeth. Anyone remember reading the "shovel-shaped incisors" research? God, this brings up some memories of anthro-l.

How the word mongoloid was first used and in what context versus how it is used in layman's terms a hundred years later would be a good point.

Haven't we all read somewhere the phrase Down Syndrome baby born with "mongoloid" features.
That's what I was thinking! "Mongoloid" means Down's, or Trisomy 21, to me. Either way- the word is outdated and insulting. It's the equivalent of saying "Negro" or "Colored" IMHO.

And, like a previous poster pointed out, why do people have this intrisic need to pigeon-hole everyone?

Old 03-03-2011, 10:39 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Maybe the OP doesn't understand the difference between Mongolian and Mongoloid. Or maybe he's Rip Van Winkle and just woke from a 100 year nap. ;-)

Old 03-03-2011, 05:35 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,955,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The most prevalent haplogroup among Native Americans is Q...
http://filmsmell.com/wp-content/uploads/q1.jpg (broken link)

So that's where all our "powers" come from.....aaayyyee.

Last edited by Fullback32; 03-03-2011 at 06:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy