Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 02:51 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,018 times

Advertisements

Any family stories that were passed down and turned out to be true, or almost true? What about family stories which turned out to be completely wrong?

For me...

Native American blood - Yes, totally true (Lenni Lenape)

Great-Great-Grandma Lizzie was just a harmless woman - Totally NOT TRUE! She was a petty criminal, common prostitute, brothel madam and ran a criminal ring which had all of Bridgeton, NJ buzzing for years!

Those are just two of many, LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 04:27 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,380,382 times
My ancestors were British Royalty - Wrong. My ancestor (one branch) was an Indian Princes - Wrong. My comment to my aunt-in-law when she made that statement as fact, was; "Of course she was an Indian Princes, our ancestors wouldn't be around with a plain old Indian, would he?" She didn't bring up that subject any more. My ancestor (another branch) was an Indian Full Blood - probably, but can't be clearly validated. My Dad was an adventurer - absolutely, no question there. The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree - wellllll!

Old 02-24-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
My ancestors were British Royalty - Wrong. My ancestor (one branch) was an Indian Princes - Wrong. My comment to my aunt-in-law when she made that statement as fact, was; "Of course she was an Indian Princes, our ancestors wouldn't be around with a plain old Indian, would he?" She didn't bring up that subject any more. My ancestor (another branch) was an Indian Full Blood - probably, but can't be clearly validated. My Dad was an adventurer - absolutely, no question there. The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree - wellllll!
I love your family stories. They keep me busy and out of trouble, LOL!

Old 02-24-2011, 04:43 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,380,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I love your family stories. They keep me busy and out of trouble, LOL!
I'm still waiting for that "magic" email

Old 02-24-2011, 07:06 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
My father in law was sure his grandparents came over from Scotland through Ellis Island. Nope. They were born here -- one line is Pre-Revolutionary.

He thought there was a tie in to President McKinley. Yes -- cousin. Second Great Grandmother was President McKinley's aunt.

And there were tales that his mother's side was related to Gentleman Jim Corbett -- not that
I can find.

And there was a tale of buried treasure on the old farmstead near the barn.... a cousin lives near there and she's checked around and found nothing, as did her father and my uncle before her. I think the whole buried treasure thing was folklore, but I have no way of knowing....

Old 02-24-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I'm still waiting for that "magic" email
Still working on it, LOL!

Old 02-24-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My father in law was sure his grandparents came over from Scotland through Ellis Island. Nope. They were born here -- one line is Pre-Revolutionary.

He thought there was a tie in to President McKinley. Yes -- cousin. Second Great Grandmother was President McKinley's aunt.

And there were tales that his mother's side was related to Gentleman Jim Corbett -- not that
I can find.

And there was a tale of buried treasure on the old farmstead near the barn.... a cousin lives near there and she's checked around and found nothing, as did her father and my uncle before her. I think the whole buried treasure thing was folklore, but I have no way of knowing....
Want some help finding it? ArkansasSlim and I can join in, for a cut!!!

Old 02-25-2011, 01:00 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Want some help finding it? ArkansasSlim and I can join in, for a cut!!!
Interesting you should say that.... my uncle told me the story of the treasure. They didn't know what it was -- it was rumored to be money or gold or loot from a house robbery, depending on who was telling the story. Uncle Ken told me he and his brother, my Uncle Ray used to look for it all the time.... on his paternal grandfather's farm. My Uncle Ray told his daughter that they used to look for it on his maternal grandfather's farm....

And she lives near maternal grandfather's farm....

So we don't know what it is, and we don't know where it is.... all we know is that it's supposed to be by the ruined foundation of where the old barn was.

But that's about the best family lore I have. Our family is pretty dull.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:11 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
I've had a few where someone mentioned people we were related to (one in literature and a few others). Some are probable or possible. My family did tell me about how McDaniel became Daniels in our family tree. That was true. It goes back farther than McDaniel, though. One relative jokingly said that we're related to Jack Daniel. It is possible, given that our family had the same name in the same area around the same time, but not proven. I've also been told that one of my ancestors was a Confederate Colonel. No evidence, but it's probable that he was a Confederate. I had ancestors on both sides.

My grandmother used to tell people she was related to Andrew Jackson, but once she grew up she stopped saying that because it's probably very much unlikely, based on location. She knew that, but she was a kid and wanted to be special.

I haven't heard that many outrageous stories from my family, though.

someone I am related to: George Washington (I founded out I'm descended from Charlemagne so I looked up other people who were. If you are descended from Charlemagne, we're probably related). I'm related to Ty Cobb (just through marriage). I'm descended from Charlemagne, so there is royalty back there somewhere.

There was also someone with my last name who married a President's daughter. I'm not sure if there is any relation.

My great-grandfather's sister sat on a book with a mouse inside it and killed the mouse. Probably did happen but it's just gross. Apparently she was a big woman.

Some of you guys have interesting families, to say the least.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Interesting you should say that.... my uncle told me the story of the treasure. They didn't know what it was -- it was rumored to be money or gold or loot from a house robbery, depending on who was telling the story. Uncle Ken told me he and his brother, my Uncle Ray used to look for it all the time.... on his paternal grandfather's farm. My Uncle Ray told his daughter that they used to look for it on his maternal grandfather's farm....

And she lives near maternal grandfather's farm....

So we don't know what it is, and we don't know where it is.... all we know is that it's supposed to be by the ruined foundation of where the old barn was.

But that's about the best family lore I have. Our family is pretty dull.
Have you searched old newspapers to see is a robbery happened during the time frame the loot was supposed to have been buried? There might be some truth to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy