Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 06:17 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times

Advertisements

Has in mine. One of my brothers is like our mom, who is like her dad, who is like his mom - ggm, who is like,

Sometimes these trends are positive, sometimes not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 11:01 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,898 times
Yes, it most definately has, especially regarding my mom's maternal lines and how we have all been impacted. I also have a very strong "warrior" streak in me, always have, never starting a fight, but never runninng from one. I suspect this comes from a number of my ancestors who were also quite war-like

Old 02-28-2011, 12:37 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Haven't really yet. My 4th great grandfather on Dad's side accidently shot himself in the head in his right temple while cleaning his gun. ...

And a couple of his sons also committed suicide, but I've not seen that since.....

And my father was the most upbeat person I ever knew.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:47 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,420 times
Yes! Absolutely! I think it's wonderfully fascinating. I have discovered that my husband is like his father, who is like his maternal grandfather (who he never met). I have cousins who are like our 4th great grandfather - womanizers and obsessed with "fun". So interesting.

I am like my mom, who was like her mom (who died when my mom was 9), who was like her dad. I love it!

Old 02-28-2011, 05:38 PM

460 posts, read 987,887 times
Yeah. My father, grandfather, great grandfather, and great, great grandfather, all seemed to be a lot more ambitious than me. I sometimes wonder if I am adopted (I'm not).

Old 03-01-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Yes, it most definately has, especially regarding my mom's maternal lines and how we have all been impacted. I also have a very strong "warrior" streak in me, always have, never starting a fight, but never runninng from one. I suspect this comes from a number of my ancestors who were also quite war-like
I agree with not backing down, but not picking fights. Not sure that's warlike? Maybe just having a backbone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Yes! Absolutely! I think it's wonderfully fascinating. I have discovered that my husband is like his father, who is like his maternal grandfather (who he never met). I have cousins who are like our 4th great grandfather - womanizers and obsessed with "fun". So interesting.

I am like my mom, who was like her mom (who died when my mom was 9), who was like her dad. I love it!
Cool.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Haven't really yet. My 4th great grandfather on Dad's side accidently shot himself in the head in his right temple while cleaning his gun. ...

And a couple of his sons also committed suicide, but I've not seen that since.....

And my father was the most upbeat person I ever knew.
Glad you didn't inherit negative traits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muonic View Post
Yeah. My father, grandfather, great grandfather, and great, great grandfather, all seemed to be a lot more ambitious than me. I sometimes wonder if I am adopted (I'm not).
Maybe you have some mellow ancestors.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:45 AM

3,489 posts, read 6,508,018 times
Yes. It also explains why, as I grow older, I become less and less fond of seafood, to the point that the very smell of uncooked seafood makes me "unhappy" (a euphemism to be sure).

I know this doesn't make sense unless you know about my ancestors, but its true.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

Old 03-11-2011, 11:33 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,198 times
Actually, yes. Well, it's actually a family dynamic that my sister thinks she figured out. My maternal grandma has always acted better than everyone else. Also, she treats my uncles very well and my mom horribly. In family research, we discovered that my grandma comes from a very well to do genealogical line. This went all the way up to my great-grandpa. Going from him back, all of our direct ancestors were pretty much the pinnacles of their towns and areas. My grandma, however, married someone who the family found to be beneath her. My sister thinks that she agrees with that assessment.

I have two uncles, and my grandma loves them to pieces. See, they married women who my grandma approved of. One was the vice president of a big company. The other has a mother who is married to an extremely wealthy man. My mom didn't marry anyone rich. She married a man who came from a poor family, and my grandma has always been extremely mean to my mom. We never really knew why all of this was until we researched more of our family tree. It all made sense after that.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:10 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,265,553 times
Two threads have run through my family on both sides for generations, that is spirituality and leadership particularly in public policy. I kid my uncle that the later is "in the blood". They were extremely charismatic and it seems like they were always in charge of this organization or that one. Having an interest in such things helps.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 03-12-2011 at 12:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy