Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:06 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I don't think there's any suspicion of that. However, I think they may have a common ancestor and the question is how far back before the skeleton guy that common ancestor lived. The living individual is the only one found in the world's various dna databases who matched the skeleton that closely. It's a relatively rare haplotype, a sub-group of G2a that apparently also included the bourbon kings of France.

What makes this even stranger is the living individual is my cousin with whom I share a last name and a common patrilineal ancestor a little over 200 years back. We've matched up our family records, before the extraction of the skeleton's dna. My dna is actually one value on one marker off of this cousin's on the 12 point test (marker 389ii) so apparently my line mutated slightly over the past 200 years. However, it doesn't seem to have mutated much more than that over the 1,100 years before that (2 values on one marker), assuming the skeleton is related to us.
Very cool. What a fun problem to try to unravel. Is this femur from the tomb in Bavaria?

I'd suggest that if you and this distant cousin can track back patrilineal record conclusively, the the one marker difference probably is recent mutation. The check would be a 30+ marker comparison. G2a seems very rare, what is the current thinking of G2a hot spots? Is that where you are from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 12:30 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Very cool. What a fun problem to try to unravel. Is this femur from the tomb in Bavaria?

I'd suggest that if you and this distant cousin can track back patrilineal record conclusively, the the one marker difference probably is recent mutation. The check would be a 30+ marker comparison. G2a seems very rare, what is the current thinking of G2a hot spots? Is that where you are from?
Yes, you are exactly right. Individual 244E. G2a is from the area between the Caspian and Black Seas on the Iranian plateau. The people were originally scythian-sarmatians. However, our last name is English and our common patrilineal ancestor came to the new world (we think MD) in the 1600s. So somehow the G2a's got to England/Wales before coming here, possibly as the Sarmatian soldiers who were sent there by the Romans in the 2nd century to guard the frontier against the picts and scots. If you saw the last King Arthur movie with Clive Owen, his knights were those Sarmatians. The skeleton knight was presumably also descended from the Sarmatians, but presumably a different branch than went to England. It's a mystery why we're so close to him.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 03-08-2011 at 12:46 PM..

Old 03-08-2011, 02:24 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Yes, you are exactly right. Individual 244E. G2a is from the area between the Caspian and Black Seas on the Iranian plateau. The people were originally scythian-sarmatians. However, our last name is English and our common patrilineal ancestor came to the new world (we think MD) in the 1600s. So somehow the G2a's got to England/Wales before coming here, possibly as the Sarmatian soldiers who were sent there by the Romans in the 2nd century to guard the frontier against the picts and scots. If you saw the last King Arthur movie with Clive Owen, his knights were those Sarmatians. The skeleton knight was presumably also descended from the Sarmatians, but presumably a different branch than went to England. It's a mystery why we're so close to him.
What a great research project. Maybe your knight was one from the Arthur legend in search of the Holy Grail -- that's the story I'd be telling.

So in recent history, your G2a from England? How big is that populations? It's got to be tiny. I though my English Haplogroup of I2a Western was unusual.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:20 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
What a great research project. Maybe your knight was one from the Arthur legend in search of the Holy Grail -- that's the story I'd be telling.

So in recent history, your G2a from England? How big is that populations? It's got to be tiny. I though my English Haplogroup of I2a Western was unusual.
Actually we brought the grail to England and buried it under the Rosslyn chapel then dug it back up and took it back to France where it's down under that glass pyramid at the Louvre.

My haplotype is found in about 1% of British males, mainly concentrated near the scottish border and near Wales. However, we do have our own wikipedia page :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_G2a3b1_(Y-DNA)

If you're familiar with the Alans, they are also an offshoot of our tribe that settled in France and Spain (the Catalans). Sir Lancelot is alleged to have been one of them. It's possible skeleton boy could have been one of them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy