U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:28 AM

395 posts, read 1,222,350 times

Advertisements

All, I am wondering if you can help me with my quest in searching details of my great great grand parents. I know which village/county they are from but I am pretty much stuck there. I called the temple and municipal office in the village and they are telling me that during the Freedom fight and India partition (1947), quite a lot of temples and their records were destroyed. And thats why they do not have any record of my G G grand parents.

How exactly should I proceed now? I have been trying google search with family names, obituary (useless because i don't think newspapers were that prevalent back then).

Edit: I am referring to a small village in south of India.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 07:31 AM

6,413 posts, read 10,973,373 times
I really don't have any experience of genealogy in India. I would think that the FamilySearch website would be a good resource. There are a few databases from India here. But, judging by the numbers of entries, the coverage isn't going to be great.

You might want to use their Research Wiki for India. There might be some resources there that will help your search.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:45 AM

4,182 posts, read 3,967,292 times
@ Rakhi: South India did not had any impact due to partition of India. Also freedom struggle had very little to do with destruction of temples. Can you tell me the state in south India and the year in which your ancestors were living there?

Old 04-01-2011, 01:38 PM

395 posts, read 1,222,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I really don't have any experience of genealogy in India. I would think that the FamilySearch website would be a good resource. There are a few databases from India here. But, judging by the numbers of entries, the coverage isn't going to be great.

You might want to use their Research Wiki for India. There might be some resources there that will help your search.
Thanks a lot. I will look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
@ Rakhi: South India did not had any impact due to partition of India. Also freedom struggle had very little to do with destruction of temples. Can you tell me the state in south India and the year in which your ancestors were living there?
Munna, I was finding it hard to believe too that South India had a lot of violence. But apparently a few communal riots took place following the Hindu-Muslim clashes near Punjab around the time of partition. Apparently temples and mosques were burned down even in South (even in Andhra and Tamil Nadu).

I am referring to Tamil Nadu. According to what my mom told me, my great grand parents were living in the district of Vellore in a village called, KaveriPakkam. The year is roughly between, 1850's and early late 1890's.

Now, how much truth there is in the municipal offices words I cannot guarantee. Just and FYI, when I said freedom struggle, I was trying to say what was going on with regards to partition as well. I did not mean to imply that freedom struggle had anything to do with destruction of temples.

Edit: I would like to add that my grand parents were not in very good terms those days with their parents (from what I learned from my grand father). Now, my very old grand mom doesnt remember anything much about her parents. That is why I dont even know much like date of birth of my G G parents.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:18 AM

4,182 posts, read 3,967,292 times
It will be in North Arcot District, Madras Presidency at that time. you will have to personally go there and look at old records of british times. You should start your search from Madras (as you know names have been changed-district name changed to Vellore and Madras presidency divided into AP and Tamil Nadu and Madras changed to Chennai). There must be some land records. Those old records are locked up in some godowns and it is india, unless you personally go there and spend some money in govt offices there, they will just make some excuses that records lost due to riots etc.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,598 times
I am trying to locate my birth father. His name is Madra S. Gopalakrishnan. He was born in the early 1940's. He came to America and married my mother. They both gave me up when I was born. She is an American who visited the area in 1970 2x's.

Please reply.
Thank you,
Indrani Hewsen

Old 10-13-2014, 05:06 PM

2,950 posts, read 4,887,559 times
This may be info from their marriage (from www.ancestry.com)
Connecticut, Marriage Index, 1959-2001
about Madra S Gopalakrishnan

Name:Madra S Gopalakrishnan
Birth Year:abt 1940
Residence:Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut
Race:Chinese, Japanese, Other Color (Chinese)
Spouse:Irene J Groves
Spouse Residence:Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut
Spouse Age:21
Spouse Race:White
Marriage Date:15 Mar 1969
Place of Marriage:Hartford, Hartford
Note officiator Other Clergyman

Last edited by daliowa; 10-13-2014 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 09-22-2015, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,598 times
Default Gopalakrishnan

Hi, I see that you were able to get the marriage info. But now I am trying to locate my biological father. I have located my biological mother and she said she divorced my father about 2 years after giving me up. I am not sure if she is telling me the whole story, but she did not keep up with him even after the divorce and would not give me any information to where they went in India.

Please advise.

Thank you

Old 09-22-2015, 07:23 PM

5,402 posts, read 5,027,143 times
He is on LinkedIn, appears to be in India.

Gopalakrishnan Madra Sambamurthi | LinkedIn

Gopalakrishnan MadraSambamurthi's (India) professional profile on LinkedIn.*

Old 06-25-2018, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 396 times
My father is trying to trace his maternal side of the family in Suri Birbhum
who lived mid late 1800s. Last name was Lala.
Anyone with knowledge of this towns history or any connections ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy