U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 07:56 PM

3,763 posts, read 3,910,533 times

Advertisements

If you were born in America, you are a Native American !!! If your ancestry is from an AMERICAN INDIAN then you are a Native American Indian. Enough of this Native American BS.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 08:00 PM

11,543 posts, read 28,023,344 times
I saw the word Persian and was surprised. The first Persian empire was founded by Cyrus the Great in 550 BCE. Today it is known as Iran. It is rich with history, culture, and surprises that are not discussed such as this award: Ranked #1 in globe scientific progress in 2011, and 8th in the world for the number of books published annually.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:10 PM

39 posts, read 131,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manaya1 View Post
Not true Bimbam, Taino people today are mixed bloods look on flip side MtDna tested from internet and weren't obliterated and theres tribe called Guatu'ma'cu a borike'n of Taino council in Puerto Rico look it up that name from website too
That's more like a form of neo-taino revivalism before that group was properly established. MtDNA does not truly count as your whole entire ancestry only just a small part of it, it's like me saying, "hey man i'm 1% black, i'm officially a black person" it just dosen't work that way, autosomal dna is what counts the most if you wanna know your whole entire genome.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:00 PM

43 posts, read 40,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
If you're finding out you're Taino it's certainly via the Carribean. I'm sorry to tell you, but the Taino culture was obliterated when the Spanish brutally enslaved the whole population and through disease. Their decendents are Cubans and Peurto Ricans, but there's no full blooded Taino left and the culture and language disappeared centuries ago, preserved only in written accounts and through archaeology. There still exist tribes that were related to the Taino, however, as they were related to the Arawak peoples, many tribes of whom still survive in South America. If you want to find out about related peoples, lookup the Arawaks. They are not Taino, but they are close, in the way the Polish are not the Slovaks, but they aren't so different when compared to Somali.
Taino's did not die that's a lie by Europeans.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manaya1 View Post
Ur welcome fyi Taino ppl r actually related to arawak family even spoken same arawak language, bimwam got it little incorrect saying they close to arawak,no they r definitely related family have a nice day
This guy has no idea what the hell he is saying Taino's are a part of the Arawak family.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllyBidol View Post
You are right. It is very difficult to obtain credible sources. I do not have his Iranian birth certificate.

But why can every Tom, Dick and Harry in the US claim to be Native American? Don´t these people have to prove their claims? So, for example, could I colour my hair black, camouflage my freckles and claim to be e.g of Oglala heritage without having to prove it?

Jay Tavare is not open about his heritage. He cannot name his clans (White Mountain Apache, Navajo). When he was asked, he said "Deer clan" which is in fact Hopi. So he lied. Furthermore he is not enrolled in one of the tribes he mentioned and when you call the reservations nobody ever heard of his families. Very strange considering the big Native American families. He lied about his age as well, not uncommon for actors, but the stretch between 1958 and 1976 is a bit too far.

Jay Tavare claims that he was adopted by Italians. How realistic is it that Italians would travel all the way to the US (in the early sixties considering his real birth year is around 1964) to adopt a child directly from the Navajo reservation? Highly unlikely. Then these alleged Italian adoptive parents send him away to a British boading school at an early age? A very strange story.

He does not even speak or write proper British or American English despite having lived in these countries for more than three decades. He speaks English with a Farsi accent.

But you are probably right Indian Country never made an issue because he is not a well-known actor and as a result Native Americans couldn´t care less if he is Native American or Iranian.
Sounds like a wannabe indeed.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,150 times
Obliterated.....not quite,..everyone knows about the atrocities committed by spain and other euro nations but these people were not extinct! yes..diluted by spanish and maybe african blood but they are still here,you can see it if you have traveled the interior of dominican republic...there are pockets of indian like peoples...and not to mention the customs...again diluted but exsist today...many dominicans still call some things by their taino names,,,i know many men named guarionex(taino cheif)..some of their foods are unmistakingly indigenous...DNA testing is going on as we speak...WHAT PERCENT OF INDIGENOUS BLOOD DO YOU NEED TO SAY THAT YOUR PEOPLE WHERE BROUGHT TO THE POINT OF EXTINCTION??SHOULD SPAIN RECOGNIZE THIS AND OWE REPERATIONS?? PURTO RICO ALSO...THE MITOCHONDRIAL REMAINS....EVEN IF ITS 1%....OBLITERATED YES,,,EXTINCT NOT..

Old 06-02-2015, 06:54 AM

3,811 posts, read 7,082,541 times
My native American Indian story was written by my grandmother. She wrote for the family history that her dad was from Germany and that he married the daughter of a Winnebago( Ho-Chunk tribe now) chief. Her mother's name was Marie Birch according to her. The story goes on that her dad was injured seriously and her mom got scared and ran away.(possibly moved to a reservation by the government?) She said while her dad was recovering she was placed in an orphanage and when she was a teen her dad had remarried and they brought her to live with them in Chicago.

Been looking for her family for years. What I think I have found could be her or someone else. On the censuses during her adult life she states she was born in Illinois. On the 1880 census I find a girl of her name and age with Illinois as birthplace living in Ohio with a family. In the household is the wife of one of the sons who may have been her dad's sister(same last name). That family moved to Minnesota while she was living with them. She either went to an orphanage or maybe they dropped her off in Chicago to live with her dad.

So who knows if my great grandma was really a member of the Winnebago Tribe? Not us. Nothing seems to back it up, but why would Grandma lie about her life?

Old 06-02-2015, 01:21 PM

23,571 posts, read 11,495,266 times
With a few exceptions (and there are some non-Indian members of federally-recognized tribes that the tribes have to accept because of treaty requirements imposed on them by the federal government after the Civil War), tribes set their own membership requirements. If you can trace to a particular tribe, look into that tribe's membership requirements to see if you can enroll. Note, even if you're eligible for membership in a tribe, that tribe may have temporarily closed its enrollment rolls due to limited resources.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:41 PM

23,571 posts, read 11,495,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amer'Indian Warrior View Post
Taino's did not die that's a lie by Europeans.
I agree (not that I think the other post claimed otherwise). And DNA/admixture testing of inhabitants of Puerto Rico/Dominican Republican proves this. For instance, see: Indigenous Puerto Rico: DNA evidence upsets established history - ICTMN.com (there are newer studies as well that a Google search will uncover). Still, much of what it meant to be Taino (i.e. language, significant portions of culture, etc.) did die out, which is a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy