U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 05:40 PM

93 posts, read 78,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyman View Post
Once you found out, di you "become' a member of that tribe?
A person is suppose to know whether or not they are Native American/Amerindian just by looking in the mirror or by having at least one parent who clearly looks Native American/Amerindian. That is like asking how did you find out you are White or how did you find out you are Black.

If both of your biological parents look like Ross and Rachel from "Friends" for example, you are not Native American. And if you claim to be than you are a fake poser just like Elizabeth Warren. Elizabeth Warren is guilty of cultural appropriation. Elizabeth Warren should check her White privilege.

Last edited by Salvatore Marciano; 06-02-2015 at 05:51 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 05:57 PM

23,510 posts, read 11,433,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore Marciano View Post
A person is suppose to know whether or not they are Native American/Amerindian just by looking in the mirror or by having at least one parent who clearly looks Native American/Amerindian. That is like asking how did you find out you are White or how did you find out you are Black.

If both of your biological parents look like Ross and Rachel from "Friends" for example, you are not Native American. And if you claim to be than you are a fake poser just like Elizabeth Warren. Elizabeth Warren is guilty of cultural appropriation. Elizabeth Warren should check her White privilege.
I think you're taking the OP's post way too literally. I think the OP is really getting at membership in a federally-recognized tribe (i.e. Native American as a political and not purely racial identification).

Old 06-02-2015, 09:09 PM

7,129 posts, read 4,603,311 times
On both sides of the family, we are not many generations along from ancestors who came from Ireland. Once in Illinois, several members on both sides married people from the Illini/Illinois tribe. One was a chief of his tribe; when he was baptized, he took the name "King David" because he reasoned that a chief and a king were the same. Since then, on my mother's side, every first-born male has "David" as a first name or a middle name, including a first cousin of mine.

My sister looked very Native American, as did my maternal grandfather and his siblings (13 of them). My father looked like what is termed "Black Irish" but also could have been showing other lineage. Oddly, when he was a boy, he had auburn hair; when he was in his teens, it turned black. I have fair skin, auburn hair and nearly black eyes, the same color as my sister's though she had black hair and darker skin.

I have attended a number of powwows and have met "licensed" people who don't even show the faintest resemblance to what the average person would think a Native American/Indian should look like. Interestingly, most of them said they also were of Irish descent. By the way, I always ask them about the Indian/Native American/American Indian controversy. Not one has objected to "Indian", and nearly all of them have said basically the same thing: "Indians really aren't native to America either." The only word they all found very objectionable is "squaw".

Old 06-03-2015, 09:56 AM

315 posts, read 186,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
My native American Indian story was written by my grandmother. She wrote for the family history that her dad was from Germany and that he married the daughter of a Winnebago( Ho-Chunk tribe now) chief. Her mother's name was Marie Birch according to her. The story goes on that her dad was injured seriously and her mom got scared and ran away.(possibly moved to a reservation by the government?) She said while her dad was recovering she was placed in an orphanage and when she was a teen her dad had remarried and they brought her to live with them in Chicago.

Been looking for her family for years. What I think I have found could be her or someone else. On the censuses during her adult life she states she was born in Illinois. On the 1880 census I find a girl of her name and age with Illinois as birthplace living in Ohio with a family. In the household is the wife of one of the sons who may have been her dad's sister(same last name). That family moved to Minnesota while she was living with them. She either went to an orphanage or maybe they dropped her off in Chicago to live with her dad.

So who knows if my great grandma was really a member of the Winnebago Tribe? Not us. Nothing seems to back it up, but why would Grandma lie about her life?
My grandmother spoke very often and very proudly of her Native American / Cherokee heritage. I was in grade school and had an assignment - family tree kind of thing - and she was very generous and gave me all kinds of info I wish I still had. That report is long gone and no one now seems to know any details. She was Irish and German on one side and Irish and Cherokee on the other. I cannot back this up but I know she would never lie about such a thing.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:25 PM

7,339 posts, read 10,343,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
I found out within the past year that I'm part Taino, but I've never met anyone from that culture. I'd like to learn more about it.
You will never meet anyone from that culture because they don't exist anymore. What exist is genetic traces, especially in the three Spanish Caribbean islands, and many Taino cultural influences interspersed in the predominantly Spanish and African cultures.

The closest thing to a Taino are the Arawak tribes that still exist in the Orinoco Basin of Venezuela, in fact the Taino originally were part of them until thousands of years ago they began to colonize the Caribbean islands.

With that said, in all three Spanish islands of the Caribbean they have museums and historic sites focused on the Taino civilizations that were there at the time Columbus arrived in 1492. Some intellectuals and amateurs with a strong interest on the Tainos have published some books about them, some of which are available on Amazon.

BTW, I'm part Taino too, a small part but it's there.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,522 times
thomasikeem@yahoo.com please contact

Old 02-15-2016, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 1,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calispartan View Post
Puerto Ricans have large percentages of Taino blood in them, but I don't know how it survived compared to Dominicans who are very ignorant of their Taino blood, as well as Cubans.

My maternal great-great grandmother was half-white and half Shawnee. Her name was Ollie Standifer.
thomasikeem@yahoo.com

Old 02-15-2016, 12:53 PM

7,376 posts, read 14,570,831 times
I haven't found out yet, but I'm waiting by the phone just in case.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:02 PM

9,011 posts, read 9,208,124 times
^^^^ Lmfao

I've always known it, never felt the need to research it or broadcast it.....
A quarter Sioux, people have always stopped me to ask where my darker skin comes from,
or to tell me I look like a Blonde Indian.....

I've never bought into the fascination w/ that culture though-
Although one of the sexiest men I have ever had the pleasure of knowing, (after we got to know each other) told me he's also a quarter Indian (Cherokee) as well as Gypsy.....like I am as well.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:18 PM

997 posts, read 1,054,694 times
I'll give a caution that you'll see repeated by many other genealogists... don't trust family stories and claims. Most are at minimum not accurate and at worst completely false.

Especially don't trust stories that are glamorous, that you tie to some Chief or princess etc. You'd think every white person descends from Chiefs, as if the majority of Native Americans of the time were Chiefs lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy