Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2016, 07:42 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times

Advertisements

Which company yields more specific results for European and Native American ancestry? I heard from AFP that AncestryDNA is good for African analysis, but a large chunk of my DNA is Native American, the rest various European, and close to 0% African that Ancestry isn't even sure that I have African ancestry to begin with. AncestryDNA just lumps my Native side as the same from Alaska to Argentina, and the European area is still too broad for my liking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 07:49 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Which company yields more specific results for European and Native American ancestry? I heard from AFP that AncestryDNA is good for African analysis, but a large chunk of my DNA is Native American, the rest various European, and close to 0% African that Ancestry isn't even sure that I have African ancestry to begin with. AncestryDNA just lumps my Native side as the same from Alaska to Argentina, and the European area is still too broad for my liking.
I would recommend you upload your raw dna file to Gedmatch.com.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I would recommend you upload your raw dna file to Gedmatch.com.
The site is pretty good, but I'm pretty confused by it. I don't get the single and mixed population group stats, and my results still vary quite considerably between tests. On some tests I'm East Asian, on others I'm not. Since you have European ancestry similar to mine, I guess, which reference lists did you use that seemed most accurate to you for southern European ancestry?

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 02-22-2016 at 03:57 AM..

Old 02-22-2016, 07:25 AM
AFP

MDLP K13 Utimate correctly identifies my ancestry with 1 population approximation.

Just be aware of the calculator effect. I don't read too much into the odd occasional outlier result what I look for when using the various Gedmatch utilities are patterns.

Dodecad Ancestry Project: On the so-called "Calculator Effect"

Old 02-22-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
MDLP K13 Utimate correctly identifies my ancestry with 1 population approximation.

Just be aware of the calculator effect. I don't read too much into the odd occasional outlier result what I look for when using the various Gedmatch utilities are patterns.

Dodecad Ancestry Project: On the so-called "Calculator Effect"
I think I'm just way too much of a mutt. No single test correctly identifies my ethnicity with the one population model, and none match up with Ancestry's interpretation. I'm starting to think the models GEDmatch relies on are flawed in more ways than one, and biased toward the various project owners' own makeup, which is definitely not my own. So far, my European results are inconclusive at this point and varies wildly, while my Native American is very stable and correct according to my knowledge, across multiple tests.

I think the 1 population model can't apply to me, as my 4 grandparents are not all exactly the same ethnic makeup. But even still, the mixed population model can't make up its mind lol. Either all that, or I haven't learned to correctly interpret my results yet

Old 02-22-2016, 04:21 PM
AFP

Quote:
I think I'm just way too much of a mutt. No single test correctly identifies my ethnicity with the one population model, and none match up with Ancestry's interpretation. I'm starting to think the models GEDmatch relies on are flawed in more ways than one, and biased toward the various project owners' own makeup, which is definitely not my own. So far, my European results are inconclusive at this point and varies wildly, while my Native American is very stable and correct according to my knowledge, across multiple tests.

I think the 1 population model can't apply to me, as my 4 grandparents are not all exactly the same ethnic makeup. But even still, the mixed population model can't make up its mind lol. Either all that, or I haven't learned to correctly interpret my results yet

It isn't easy to learn how to extract useful information from Gedmatch when one has a mixed background. I think those calculators are much more useful for those with very minor admixture. Some Brazilians also have difficulty with those calculators particulary if they have a substantial amount of Amerindian and African admixture interestingly the two I've communicated with the Gedmatch calculators often selected Puerto Rican for them.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:01 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
There are none that can break down Native American to specific regions, there just aren't enough samples and those samples which do exist are more from Latin America than they are from the USA/Canada.

Here's the breakdown of categories for each company:

Ancestry.com:

Quote:
Africa North
Benin/Togo
Ivory Coast/Ghana
Africa South-Central Hunter-Gatherers
Africa Southeastern Bantu
Senegal
Nigeria
Mali
Cameroon/Congo
Native American
Asia South
Asia East
Asia Central
Great Britain
Italy/Greece
Europe West
Scandinavia
Finland/Northwest Russia
Ireland
Europe East
Iberian Peninsula
European Jewish
Polynesia
Melanesia
Caucasus
Middle East
23andMe:

Quote:
French & German
British & Irish
Scandinavian
Finnish
Broadly Northwestern European
Italian
Iberian
Sardinian
Balkan
Broadly Southern European
Ashkenazi
Broadly European
Broadly South Asian
East Asian
Japanese
Korean
Yakut
Mongolian
Chinese
Broadly East Asian
Southeast Asian
Native American
Broadly East Asian & Native American
West African
East African
Central & South African
Broadly Sub-Saharan African
North African
Middle Eastern
Broadly Middle Eastern & North African
Broadly Oceanian
Unassigned
FTDNA:

Quote:
Western and Central Europe
East Central Africa
Eastern Europe
Native American
North Africa
Northeast Asia
Central Asia
Southern Europe
West Africa
British Isles
Finland and Northern Siberia
Scandinavia
Asia Minor
Ashkenazi Diaspora
South-Central Africa
Southeast Asia
South Asia
Eastern Middle East

Old 02-23-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
There are none that can break down Native American to specific regions, there just aren't enough samples and those samples which do exist are more from Latin America than they are from the USA/Canada.

Here's the breakdown of categories for each company:

Ancestry.com:

23andMe:

FTDNA:
Which should be good for me, since all of my indigenous ancestry, for the last 1000 years let's say, is from the Caribbean Basin. I'm always matched to Puerto Rican (correct), Colombian (my tribe originated in Colombia roughly 2000+ years ago), and Mayan (don't know about that one). It's the European part of me that confuses me the most. Gedmatch can't decide which European I am. My European side, specifically from my mother's mother, is scattered all the way from the Volga River to Sweden and Germany.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:46 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
the classification is only as good as the database the size of the database. native americans are hard to classified because not that many has taken the dna test. You are classified by the people that are left behind, it doesnt mean you are german but there are people in germany that has your basic dna match, but there could of migrated from another area.

also you got to see how far these countrys are apart, noramnry, france, great britland are not that far apart. Ireland and great britland is 35 miles.

then you got to see how far they go back, most over a 1000 years, great britland came from germany and from spain and france.

They claim native american came from siberia, which is also the same area that germany came from. some native american got white boy dna. kinda both R1

Old 02-23-2016, 09:20 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Which should be good for me, since all of my indigenous ancestry, for the last 1000 years let's say, is from the Caribbean Basin. I'm always matched to Puerto Rican (correct), Colombian (my tribe originated in Colombia roughly 2000+ years ago), and Mayan (don't know about that one). It's the European part of me that confuses me the most. Gedmatch can't decide which European I am. My European side, specifically from my mother's mother, is scattered all the way from the Volga River to Sweden and Germany.
Unfortunately, Europe is genetically such a mixed bag that there is no DNA which is unique to any one area of Europe. It is just not possible to break the regions down to more specific areas, and even the current categories have a lot of overlap between them. The Jewish are the most genetically unique group in Europe so results in that category are generally the most accurate. Anything else is open to interpretation.

Take a look at this chart from AncestryDNA:

It shows how closely related the different groups of Europe are to each other - the closer the groups are to one another, the more closely related. Note how many of them overlap and most of them are right next to one another, except the Jewish. Similarly, the categories for Italy/Greece and Iberian are a little bit further away from the more Northern areas of Europe, showing there is some distinction between north and south Europe but not much more specific than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy