U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 03:27 PM

5,812 posts, read 17,788,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
If you're talking about sites with linked family trees, you cannot know that the information is reliable. You should only use that as a possible clue as to where to go to look for more information.
I tend to agree with that. That's one reason my tree is not online. Some of my branches I am not 100% sure about and I don't want to steer people the wrong way. Trees can be helpful, but they're not necessarily the best source if there is another out there.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 03:28 PM

5,812 posts, read 17,788,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Because I'm the only one who gave you high numbers, I want to make clear to you that my goal is not to "get more people on [my] tree." With my descendency projects, my goal is to track as many of the descendants as I can find. And in order to track them, I have to know that they are, indeed, the right people. And to do that, you have to know as much about them as you possibly can. And I'm not content to simply "go by word of mouth."

Keep in mind also, that I've been doing genealogy for about 40 years. I began doing genealogy, back in the days when you had to really DO genealogy. Nowadays, it's so ridiculously easy to track people with all the on-line digitized documents, if you know what's there and where to look, growing trees can be fast. And accurate. And complete.
I didn't mean to offend you. I just meant that it seems like some people want a more straight up-and-down tree of their ancestors whereas others include more cousins and stuff. Some people also seem to be spend more time on individual people, whereas others don't dig that deeply.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:36 AM

11,292 posts, read 23,348,229 times
960 right now. Maybe 100 of those (all on my Blair line) I have doubts about, the rest seems rock solid to me!

Old 05-28-2011, 06:33 PM

6,413 posts, read 11,347,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I didn't mean to offend you. I just meant that it seems like some people want a more straight up-and-down tree of their ancestors whereas others include more cousins and stuff. Some people also seem to be spend more time on individual people, whereas others don't dig that deeply.
No offense taken. Just wanted it known that I'm NOT a "name collector."

Old 05-29-2011, 10:57 PM

7,102 posts, read 26,004,514 times
I once thought that I would like to collect all my current living relatives. Then, someone pointed out that it might be a dandy entrance to identity theft. I really don't know, but if a crook knows the name of your parents, grand parents, aunts and uncles, etc. there may be a chance that he could connect all of the dots and come up with something he could work with.

What do you think? would it be a possibility?

Old 05-30-2011, 12:15 AM

33,925 posts, read 36,073,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I once thought that I would like to collect all my current living relatives. Then, someone pointed out that it might be a dandy entrance to identity theft. I really don't know, but if a crook knows the name of your parents, grand parents, aunts and uncles, etc. there may be a chance that he could connect all of the dots and come up with something he could work with.

What do you think? would it be a possibility?
Internet etiquette precludes publishing names and birth dates of living people. Most genealogy programs can be set up to do it. Most of us do not share that info except with researchers we trust.

From ancestry.com:

Ancestry.com - Avoiding the Theft of Your Identity

Old 05-30-2011, 03:35 AM
bjh

45,303 posts, read 27,132,960 times
Birth and other vital stats records have historically been considered public information. It's still possible to get many records, though some states or counties have tightened control a bit.

Seems like more information would be needed for ID theft, such as an SSN and other information that are generally not available through genealogical sources.

There has been a move away from using mother's maiden names by many credit companies. After all, it's relatively easy to discover someone's mother's maiden name. If you want, you can call a creditor and simply tell them what password you want to use on your account instead.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 AM

7,102 posts, read 26,004,514 times
Right after my husband started working on his family tree, we got an inquiry from a woman that had the correct last name. We didn't know her or her connection. However, we wanted to be helpful. She not only wanted to know about us, but all about our daughter-in-law's family. Now, this would not be in the blood line and it was also a kind of invasion of my DIL privacy. It would have given many more and different names to her lists.

We didn't know the woman or who might have access to her information. We decided that information about the non-related extended family was not any of her concern and refused to tell her. It ws not in her family blood line. We never heard from her again.

I will always wonder if she was just trying for numbers or if she was taking an easy way or finding out about the DIL's family.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:17 PM

14,936 posts, read 19,315,689 times
I've been doing genealogy for several years and have 14,283 people in my tree now but I had more before my PC was lost sevral weeks ago.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:55 PM

827 posts, read 1,572,581 times
TOO many. I think I need to do some pruning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy