U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 11:49 AM

10 posts, read 13,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I have my family tree on the MyHeritage family tree program. I really like it. I make sure to back it up on an external disk regularly.

Anyway, mine currently has 13,684 people on it. I have mentioned that to people who do not do genealogy and they are flabbergasted. Now, not all of these people are ancestors. I have lots and lots of cousins on the tree as well. I have no problem with having a big tree, but I was just wondering if this is weird.

Thanks.
!!?? 13,684? I have around 200, clearly I have a lot to learn about this pursuit. Looks like I've come to the right place anyhow.

As you stretch further back and further away from yourself.. how much are you discovering about who you are? Or perhaps that's not your aim - either way, wow.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 01:38 PM

14,717 posts, read 23,686,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkShelton View Post
!!?? 13,684? I have around 200, clearly I have a lot to learn about this pursuit. Looks like I've come to the right place anyhow.

As you stretch further back and further away from yourself.. how much are you discovering about who you are? Or perhaps that's not your aim - either way, wow.
Every one has a different goal of what they are trying to accomplish. Myself -- I'm trying to find the first person of each line that set foot on American soil.

I can't imagine having that many people either though, although I know it's possible.

The ones that get me are the trees that go back to biblical times and -- I'm not sure about those! Although once I had some one ask me how far I had gotten -- I told them Adam and Eve.... but it was that middle part that I was having trouble with!

Old 06-06-2011, 02:47 PM

5,812 posts, read 17,788,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkShelton View Post

I pretty much know who I am and genealogy does not make me who I am. It certainly is interesting, though. I've traced a few of my family lines back to England, Ireland, and Scotland. I'm American above all else, though. Some of my family lines cannot be traced.

I like learning about people, including cousins. Probably the farthest cousins I've traced are 5th or 6th cousins. Some I know personally, others I don't. I have connected with a few cousins online after finding their genealogical posts online. I've also found out that I'm related to many people in my county, as well as the neighboring county.

I don't like only tracing straight-up the paternity/maternity line. I do that first. But it's very interesting to add siblings and their kids. It kind of gives extra context to the person you are studying if you know about their family. They certainly didn't ignore their siblings.

Most of the people on my tree I share an ancestor with. Although a few other family members have given me info and I've traced their free for them. It connected my tree as well. If I didn't study the siblings and cousins I would miss out on a lot. In fact, I've found that my parents family trees are intertwined in a few different ways.

After you study your direct ancestors for a while, you tend to hit a brick wall. If you don't have any more info there's really not anything you can do there. Occasionally you break a wall, but not often. Sometimes studying the siblings can give you clues you wouldn't have otherwise.

There have been a few times when I've had to delete people because I've had the wrong connection on my tree, but that's been fixed. Everything seems pretty good now. I do have limits on how far from myself I will go, as far as adding people. But most cousins I will add. Some people I'm related to in multiple ways as well.

It's actually 13,791 right now, so I've added a few. I also take off the ones that I found out are wrong. I try to make sure my tree is accurate.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:36 PM

393 posts, read 1,423,844 times
I only have 53 people on my tree so far, but that only includes my direct ancestors. I have over 70 first cousins on one side, but I don't have all their names or other information, so I don't count them as being on my tree yet. I'm also one of fifteen children, but 12 of them are half-siblings to me, and 2 of them are adopted siblings. Tracing my roots is a bit difficult, as all four of my grandparents came from different countries, only one of which now uses English as a common language. But I'm plugging along One of my Hawaiian cousins has a lot of our extended family on that side worked out, so I'll have to get a copy of those family charts to flesh out my tree.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:55 PM

6,413 posts, read 11,347,791 times
You have to remember, though, how fast "ancestors" can add up. But where your ancestors came from can alter things - some places, it's going to be very difficult to research, and you're not going to get that far back except through laborious research. Most of my ancestors were very early to America.

Take, a child born in the year 2000 (and remember, these are just rough averages ...), and 25 years per generation:

2000 1 child
1975 2 parents
1950 4 grandparents
1925 8 great-grandparents
1900 16 gr-gr grandparents
1875 32 3gr-grandparents
1850 64 4gr-grandparents
1825 128 5gr-grandparents
1800 256 6gr-grandparents
1775 512 7gr-grandparents
1750 1024 8gr-grandparents
1725 2048 9gr-grandparents
1700 4096 10gr-grandparents
1675 8192 11gr-grandparents
1650 16384 12gr-grandparents
1625 32768 13gr-grandparents

That means at that point, you have 65436 total direct ancestors. And if you track their children (as you should), say they had an average of 6 children (5 in addition to your ancestor) which is probably a low-ball estimate. That's another 163,000 people. And did they marry? Throw in spouses for just half of them - makes another 80,000 people. And you're not even talking about their children (my "rule of thumb" is that I trace everyone to the grandchild level).

So, you're looking at a potential 308,000 people in your database. I guess it's a good thing it's hard to do genealogy, and tracing all those lines can sometimes be impossible.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:36 AM

393 posts, read 1,423,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
That means at that point, you have 65436 total direct ancestors. And if you track their children (as you should), say they had an average of 6 children (5 in addition to your ancestor) which is probably a low-ball estimate. That's another 163,000 people. And did they marry? Throw in spouses for just half of them - makes another 80,000 people. And you're not even talking about their children (my "rule of thumb" is that I trace everyone to the grandchild level).
You're making me dizzy! *lol* I need to spend more time on this. A lot of my lines will peter out pretty quickly, since they go back to people without written languages and/or kept records, but I'd really like to trace my one Basque line that goes back to the Viking raids in Gascony between 790-800. That would be interesting

Old 06-11-2011, 06:30 PM

33,925 posts, read 36,073,153 times
For context:

US History Timeline: 1700 - 1800

March 1, 1790 - A Census Act is passed by Congress. The first census, finished on Aug. 1, indicates a total population of nearly 4 million persons in the U.S. and western territories. African Americans make up 19 percent of the population, with 90 percent living in the South. Native Americans were not counted, although there were likely over 80 tribes with 150,000 persons. For white Americans, the average age is under 16. Most white families are large, with an average of eight children born. The white population will double every 22 years. The largest American city is Philadelphia, with 42,000 persons, followed by New York (33,000) Boston (18,000) Charleston (16,000) and Baltimore (13,000). The majority of Americans are involved in agricultural pursuits, with little industrial activity occurring at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy