Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 05:36 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I've found Findagrave.com to be extremely helpful for breaking brick walls on my family tree. It's a database of 61 million graves, most with the parents and children's graves linked. The only problem is the website is ran by volunteers who take pictures, so some areas have excellent coverage while other areas have few cemeteries listed.
True. But you do have to be aware that most of the family connections are little more than linked family trees. It's just somone's word that it's correct. Use it as a clue, but not a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 10:42 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
True. But you do have to be aware that most of the family connections are little more than linked family trees. It's just somone's word that it's correct. Use it as a clue, but not a fact.
Agreed, but it can definitely tell you which direction to look in. I also found out one of my leads was wrong because I had one man linked to a set of parents. Through findagrave I found out that that couple's son had died as a teenager, so he could not have married and had kids. So I went in another direction and found my person's real parents. So it can give you a good idea of where to look.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Thanks everyone:

I think I will get started right after Memorial day. I do have some family connections in Seneca, Kansas. That is where my mom was born. I know part of the family is still there. In fact I think they are most of what is left on her side. Her dad was from the same area.

My dad's family is going to be a little harder. They moved around a lot. I do know his mom was raised in Kansas and I believe his dad came to the mid west from Ireland via Canada.

The old family tree that was in the Bible went back to his birth I think. Even that wasn't very far.

As the story goes, dad's moms family came over on the Mayflower. One time dad saw a family tree that one of his second cousins had but of coruse she is long gone.

Nita

Old 05-29-2011, 09:05 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Ooh. Good luck with Ireland, it's really tough. Kansas doesn't have as much (other than census) available on the internet - for the plains states, I've found that the US GenWeb is usually the most helpful. FindaGrave might be a useful resource.

And while the cousin is gone, her records may not be. Someone in the family may have them, or she may have deposited them with a local genealogical society she belonged to.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
ok, let me tell all of you: if anyone ever asks you again about how to get started just tell them, they have to have at least 100 years background: why do I say this? I have only been on one site so far and have traced my grandparents on my moms side back to German, just found out my father's grandfather was born in Canada and a bunch of other stuff. I am totally obsessed:

I have to break away, pull some weeds out of the veggie garden and get ready for dinner at daughters. Why or why did you guys tell me I could do this? To add insult to injury when I sit on my A## too long my legs swell, so I guess I will live with huge legs from now on.

Nita

Old 05-29-2011, 11:27 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
And while the cousin is gone, her records may not be. Someone in the family may have them, or she may have deposited them with a local genealogical society she belonged to.

That is a great idea for all of us. Even if you never actually write a formal family history, make sure someone is responsible for the data when you are gone. A family member may or may not want it. Historical societies and libraries with genealogy departments certainly do! A person who had extensively researched one of my lines died and her family lost all her info by trying to get it off her computer. Bummer.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:39 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Ooh. Good luck with Ireland, it's really tough. Kansas doesn't have as much (other than census) available on the internet - for the plains states, I've found that the US GenWeb is usually the most helpful. FindaGrave might be a useful resource.

Canada has some good records.

I'd check local libraries, also, for donated materials from the cousin.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:56 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ok, let me tell all of you: if anyone ever asks you again about how to get started just tell them, they have to have at least 100 years background: why do I say this? I have only been on one site so far and have traced my grandparents on my moms side back to German, just found out my father's grandfather was born in Canada and a bunch of other stuff. I am totally obsessed:

I have to break away, pull some weeds out of the veggie garden and get ready for dinner at daughters. Why or why did you guys tell me I could do this? To add insult to injury when I sit on my A## too long my legs swell, so I guess I will live with huge legs from now on.

Nita
Not only will your legs swell but your A## will too My elbow has worn a hole in the left (padded) arm of my desk chair

Old 05-30-2011, 05:42 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,995,488 times
Welcome to our obsession, Nita!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy