U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:01 AM

799 posts, read 1,033,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
Um, as a southern black woman, I say no. No to your theory. Yes, there are records of blacks and indians marrying, but it doesn't mean much. There have been genetic studies of blacks in america. Most have more white than native american in their blood. I'm not saying that there is none, but it is not as predominant as people think (same with a majority of whites claiming native ancestry). I think this is just something that white and black americans like to believe in, having a native princess ancestor down the line.

Your theory sounds romantic, but you have to be realistic.There was no "deliberate, spiritual" marriage between the two groups. Yes, soul food has native influences, but so does other traditional southern (and other regional) foods. You having a red tint in your skin doesn't mean much. "Pure" africans are known to have varying yellow and red hues as well.
My theory though romantic-sounding is realistic, I've done extensive research and there are records of blacks and natives marrying but what about the undocumented, there had to be some undocumented. And once again let me emphasize I'm not speaking about African americans as a whole in American I'm speaking mostly about Southeastern region of the US. And also I know about my ancestors through my elders in the family, we didn't keep up with the tribe but we know we have pure blood Native American ancestry, and I know its fairly recent within my bloodline. The part of the theory about the spiritual connection is due to my spiritual nature and I'm not refuting it, but because I know we all have different spiritual views I was asking you to open mind.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 04:52 PM

6,413 posts, read 11,424,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
Umm, I'm speaking on this except on a more broader scale, a race who could have descended from two other races, you can call it Broad Genealogy, I guess.
You can call it whatever you want, but it's not genealogy. You're missing the "account of the descent" part.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:08 AM
bjh

47,243 posts, read 27,449,962 times
Also missing the difference between researching facts and making broad assumptions. Either way, not appropriate to this forum.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:23 PM

58 posts, read 79,276 times
most blacks have percentages of the 'thomas jefferson tribe' in them.....but it sounds cooler to say they are 'blackfoot' instead. pffhhhh. Blacks weren't raping indians or threatening their freedom as whites were, so there was no advantage of breeding with a black person. Most indians were scared to death of black people, because they had never seen one before.....it isnt like they were all hanging out together on the curb talking bad about the white man!.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:09 PM

236 posts, read 809,628 times
I'm a bit skeptical that there would've been high rates of intermarriage between people with African ancestry and people with Native ancestry, before the 1900s. Reason: the whites were actively driving tribes off of their land, right up until the end of the settlement of the West. I think that normally the Europeans would've kept a lot of space between themselves, their towns, and the surviving remnants of any tribes. The "Indians" were considered the enemy for a long time.

I'm not saying there was no intermarriage, of course there was some. But I would bet there's more intermarriage now than there ever was before the 1880s-1890s. It wasn't that long ago, when you think about it, that there were still massacres of tribes.

The identifiable native population is such a minority in the US, that I think people feel comfortable romanticizing it a bit. It's cool to have an exotic branch on the family tree. If you go to places in the New World where there's still a large native population, though, it's a lot different. I'd say Canadians are more likely to acknowledge European ancestry rather than native. Same with many Mexicans.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:58 PM

799 posts, read 1,033,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Sep View Post
most blacks have percentages of the 'thomas jefferson tribe' in them.....but it sounds cooler to say they are 'blackfoot' instead. pffhhhh. Blacks weren't raping indians or threatening their freedom as whites were, so there was no advantage of breeding with a black person. Most indians were scared to death of black people, because they had never seen one before.....it isnt like they were all hanging out together on the curb talking bad about the white man!.
Actually during the early days of the slave trade they would do this often for convenience, and for a better "product." I would imagine that Natives were afraid of blacks, but fear only lasts for so long and the slave trade lasted for over a century...

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Ottawa One View Post
I'm a bit skeptical that there would've been high rates of intermarriage between people with African ancestry and people with Native ancestry, before the 1900s. Reason: the whites were actively driving tribes off of their land, right up until the end of the settlement of the West. I think that normally the Europeans would've kept a lot of space between themselves, their towns, and the surviving remnants of any tribes. The "Indians" were considered the enemy for a long time.

I'm not saying there was no intermarriage, of course there was some. But I would bet there's more intermarriage now than there ever was before the 1880s-1890s. It wasn't that long ago, when you think about it, that there were still massacres of tribes.

The identifiable native population is such a minority in the US, that I think people feel comfortable romanticizing it a bit. It's cool to have an exotic branch on the family tree. If you go to places in the New World where there's still a large native population, though, it's a lot different. I'd say Canadians are more likely to acknowledge European ancestry rather than native. Same with many Mexicans.
*Sigh* I don't think having Native American in any branch of your family is "exotic", it seems more inevitable if anything. Exotic to me would be something like Caribbean, Hawaiian, Peruvian etc. A Native American bloodline in North America especially in the South and Midwest is way, way more plausible than not.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:35 AM

6,413 posts, read 11,424,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
I do my research maybe some of the people reading this thread is narrow-minded...
Is they?

Old 07-17-2011, 12:36 PM

270 posts, read 180,036 times
This theory may be true for parts of NW Georgia up into Tennessee. But for most of us Black Americans that "other mysterious blood" is white blood that our grandparents simply passed off as "Indian."

Old 07-17-2011, 02:54 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,402,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i'm sure there's some truth to what you're saying, but the part where you describe Africans and Native Americans "coming together to form African Americans", in particular sounds like a fantasy that is not based on facts. Just because something sounds good doesn't make it true.

What you describe is more likely to have occured in South America or the Carribean, I think. In the continental US, I'd expect that "African Americans" probably have more English and European blood than they do native American. People just want to feel like they are exotic and different.
There is a book called "Black Wall Street" by Jay Wilson and Ron Wallace where in either OK or AR ( not sure which) where AAs, Jewish and native American Indians have made a great name for themselves in business dealings, living and marrying one another until Whites came along and destroyed it because it intimidated them.

The European mixing with AA was done to make cause division and create controlled slavery which you will find in the book/pamphlet The Wille Lynch Letter and The Making of A Slave

Two books they DON"T want you to read !!!!

Last edited by eyewrist; 07-17-2011 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy