U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,923 times

Advertisements

i just received my MTDNA results and my great grandmother, who was thought to be indian and adopted at one month old into a black family in 1880, after the death of her adoptive mother's child, was indeed Native American. The Dna I have is from the Haplogroup x, rare even among native americans, associated with the Ojibwa, Sioux and Navajo Indians. My great grandmother and her brother were first listed as white and later in their lives as black. no white child at that time would have been able to remain with a black family, but two indian children would not have excited as much concern. They passed as light skinned blacks. I have more Indian ancestry than African, but have always considered myself African American, and still do, by culture.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 10:59 AM

66,364 posts, read 50,607,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
Okay I've been thinking on this for about a few months now and it really pertains to the South and the Southeast in particular in the US. Okay so while the slave trade was going on Native Americans were going through their own sorrows, struggles and persecution by the same oppressor as the Africans in the slave trade. When the Africans came over its documented they were befriended with the Natives and some of the Natives even owned the slaves and treated with better treatment overall, plus they would compliment and help each other and their relationship was steady for quite awhile before the Trail of Tears and the near eradication of the Native population.

So here's the theory: I believe everything happens for a reason. The Native Americans and the Africans as a collective, in the spiritual sense decided to come together and create another race (bare with me ) which was African Americans [of course other races play apart in it, but the two main ones were the people from the natives of the Africa and the natives of the North America]

These two groups both share similar histories of oppression with the same group and both are nearly gone from this country (not African immigrants but the Africans who came with the Atlantic Slave Trade i.e. The Gullah People in the Lowcountry)

I say the southeast in particular because that's where Natives and Africans would seemingly flourish as far as interaction goes. For example the Black Seminoles in Florida is pretty common so I assume that the Southeast would be a hotbed area and also in Georgia I notice African Americans with a red tint, me included. I know that my great grandmother on my dad side was pure blood Native but I don't know what tribe and my great grandmother's mother on my mama side was pure blood. So I know I'm an example of this theory.

Any Thoughts?
It really varied across the country and from one tribe to the next. I would highly recommend reading the journals of louis and clark if you ever get a chance as it is a VERY interesting window on interactions with various tribes at a time when white men were not seen as a threat yet so you get a sort of neutral "first contact" type assessment.

York, Clark's slave was the first black seen by many of those indians and he was generally received enthusiastically because of his uniqueness and strong athletic form. (He got a whole lot of sex on that trip. )

The journals really give you a sense of the vastly different personalities of the various tribes. The mandans were highly praised while another tribe would steal anything they could and treated rival tribes brutally.

Good trivia question: What famous slave is commemorated on current US currency? Sacagawea.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:02 AM

15,858 posts, read 33,301,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy Columbus View Post
You very well may be right going by the history we know for a fact they bare the same scars and it just that one of the group lands were completely tooken over and turned into another nation and the other lands were colonized.

tooken?

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-16-2012, 11:14 AM

15,858 posts, read 33,301,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
Okay I've been thinking on this for about a few months now and it really pertains to the South and the Southeast in particular in the US. Okay so while the slave trade was going on Native Americans were going through their own sorrows, struggles and persecution by the same oppressor as the Africans in the slave trade. When the Africans came over its documented they were befriended with the Natives and some of the Natives even owned the slaves and treated with better treatment overall, plus they would compliment and help each other and their relationship was steady for quite awhile before the Trail of Tears and the near eradication of the Native population.

So here's the theory: I believe everything happens for a reason. The Native Americans and the Africans as a collective, in the spiritual sense decided to come together and create another race (bare with me ) which was African Americans [of course other races play apart in it, but the two main ones were the people from the natives of the Africa and the natives of the North America]

These two groups both share similar histories of oppression with the same group and both are nearly gone from this country (not African immigrants but the Africans who came with the Atlantic Slave Trade i.e. The Gullah People in the Lowcountry)

I say the southeast in particular because that's where Natives and Africans would seemingly flourish as far as interaction goes. For example the Black Seminoles in Florida is pretty common so I assume that the Southeast would be a hotbed area and also in Georgia I notice African Americans with a red tint, me included. I know that my great grandmother on my dad side was pure blood Native but I don't know what tribe and my great grandmother's mother on my mama side was pure blood. So I know I'm an example of this theory.

Any Thoughts?
I believe there was a commonality based upon the overall mistreatment by the white oppressors and the fact that they shared a darker skin tone.

It seems that I read somewhere that the Seminoles offered tribal status to African Americans after the civil war so I don't believe they necessarily have mixed blood in every case (although, I'm sure there are many cases that are of mixed blood).

I believe that if the truth were known, a lot of white people would be shocked to find AA ancestry. I don't think that the intermingling of racial lines were limited strictly between Native Americans and AA of the time period. Certainly, in many areas (New Orleans in particular), the designation of Quadroon, Octaroon and Mulatto were designed to delineate the percentage of black ancestry.

It's a very interesting and thought-provoking theory.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-10-2013, 12:13 AM

6 posts, read 7,785 times
Default Am I European African Indian

I am dark as a African but I have a red tent. All ricans confuse me from being from their country. My great dad on mom side was a whiteman, slave owner.
My great dad on father side was Indian. Out of 16 combined children I am dark. From appearance I am African but I am American. Can't erase a blood line cause my children are light with black and blonde tent hair. White Brown Black is all we see. Advance in technology but human nature remains a beast.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:45 AM

6 posts, read 7,785 times
I am from Georgia close to Flordia line. Everyone has Indian roots. My question is why there are no pure breed Africans left from the slavery era? We all mixed up. Only answer I know is that white women seen them as not having a soul or purpose as their husbands wiped out the true African American. To accept that name I will accept being called bastard. I am American

Few days I will post n expose a truth. To have a end there is a beginning

Old 10-12-2014, 06:57 PM

9 posts, read 15,590 times
From the majority of DNA testing that has been done most of us have very little native DNA a lot of mulattoes were missed identified as Indian because blacks did not want to claim white and whites did not want to claim that that quadroon grandma .also whites wanted Indian land to grow cotton so they kicked the natives out of the southeast its a bit more complicated than whites oppressing the southeast natives they actually intermarried with them the southeast natives became Christian and owned slaves they did not see us necessarily as their equal the. Way it worked was no matter what blacks were at the bottom Indians thought they were the best whites thought they were the best white Christians married Indians they did not marry blacks also the mixed children of a white father were Indian by their law so if a woman was half Indian and married white her kids were all Indian even after getting booted out west Indians sill fought for the south look up stand wattie look up john Ros the Seminole were somewhat different really it was the Gullah who were fighting to be free the red Muskogee Seminole were targeted be cause whites thought it was them to blame for blacks escaping into Florida the blacks were a greater benefit to the Seminole than the Seminole were to them whites wanted to exile the Seminole because they thought they could round up the Gullah Gullah are over 90% African on average they have little Indian in them about as much Indian as pygmy or bushmen DNA also red skin tone is seen in. Mulattos and in even unmixed Africans like the Fulani the igbo all throughout west Africa intact most range from mud color to a reddish or caramel brown even almond eyes are African we are really average griffes 80-65% black African 19-34% European white this is average not individual so you may be substantially native but assume you are average until you get an autosomal full spectrum DNA test

Old 10-12-2014, 07:13 PM

9 posts, read 15,590 times
After the civil war blacks owned by white Americans became American citizens blacks owned by Indians were also made citizens of their masters tribes primarily because that was what whites wanted now,things are complicated by the fact that indianness was defined by a list by a dude name Dawes later on in modern times tribes actually voted to boot blacks out apparently it was easier to do this based on how so called blood quantum was looked at so you could be mostly white genetically yet qualify as a tribe member because an ancestor was listed as Indian blooded on the Dawes list now to put this into perspective imagine as a black American being told that you are no longer a citizen unless you can show that your ancestors were descended from the founding fathers and you had to have real ''american blood'' to be a citizen

Old 10-23-2014, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 5,584 times
"As I understand it, africans in the southeastern U.S. had far less contact with native Americans than Africans in South America."

I think people keep forgetting that there were thousands of Native American groups, not just the so-called Civilized Tribes. There were a lot of NA's that stayed put and/or hid. Africans and NA's were in close proximity of each other. I'm from South Carolina, and I have NA blood confirmed by DNA, not just family oral history. But, I've also found documents in my genealogical research that supported my family's history. The specific area where my family is from, have documentation that there were in fact NA's living back in those woods. Funny thing is, now all the same people who have been back there since "forever" are now all labeled as Black.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:51 AM

4,589 posts, read 5,118,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chinky_Eye View Post
"As I understand it, africans in the southeastern U.S. had far less contact with native Americans than Africans in South America."

I think people keep forgetting that there were thousands of Native American groups, not just the so-called Civilized Tribes. There were a lot of NA's that stayed put and/or hid. Africans and NA's were in close proximity of each other. I'm from South Carolina, and I have NA blood confirmed by DNA, not just family oral history. But, I've also found documents in my genealogical research that supported my family's history. The specific area where my family is from, have documentation that there were in fact NA's living back in those woods. Funny thing is, now all the same people who have been back there since "forever" are now all labeled as Black.
True enough. You may be interested in reading That the Blood Stay Pure, researched and written by Dr. Arica Coleman. Project MUSE - That the Blood Stay Pure

I have not yet read the book but saved the link for future purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy