U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2015, 01:28 PM

7,796 posts, read 11,157,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
That's selective bias there. If you look up Africans from different regions of Africa their noses are very different. The picture you used, he is most certainly mixed.
Yes but the regions from where most Africans that were brought to America were from there is a certain type of nose that predominates. Look at populations in this hemisphere that are of almost pure African extraction (Haiti, Jamaica) because they resemble the most what the Africans looked like when they were brought over. There is a predominant type of nose.

There is also some variation in Native American noses.

Anyway, the point of my post that you cited is that it's very difficult to know for certain when a person with significant African ancestry and significant Native American ancestry has a nose that looks more African or Native American because of the similarities between the two.

Look at this kid from some isolates Native American tribe deep in the Amazon:

http://www.que.es/ultimas-noticias/s...-primeros.html

That kid is of pure or near pure Native extraction and yet his nose and lips look similar to those of many Africans. If he (or she) grows up and pairs with a black of pure African extraction, how will anyone know that the lips and nose if their kids (and later grandkids) is predominantly African or Native or evenly split?

A few more pure Native Americans from South American tribes with some features (namely noses and lips) that are easily confused with African types:

http://imgarcade.com/1/amazon-indians/

http://planetsave.com/2010/11/03/ama...nding-answers/

Last edited by AntonioR; 01-08-2015 at 01:43 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 03:17 PM

9,146 posts, read 7,009,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
In reference to the OP's theory, It is difficult to attribute all similarities between ethnic groups to the presence of cultural exchange. Language is the best indicator of exchange. I have heard some African Americans say "Okie Dokie" which is Creek.
Ha! I didn't know that and I say it often. I thought it was a southern thing.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:04 PM

16,213 posts, read 9,737,701 times
Lots of eugenics going on in this thread with the noses and such....

But I agree with another poster in that the majority of black Americans (and I am black) who claim native ancestry usually don't have any or just a smidgeon - 1-2% or less.

Most of those high cheekbones and hair come from mixing with white European Americans. The majority of us have European ancestry in the 15-25% range.

FWIW, my own family has tales of native ancestry. I never believed it due to knowing that this is usually not true. Recently I have found out that one of my ancestors did live in an area near the Wyandott Indians in Ohio who were known to harbor slaves until they were forcibly removed from Ohio to I think Kansas or some other state out west. One day I may get the courage to check my DNA features but it kind of skeeves me out sending my geneti profile to strangers.

But my great grand mother did tell me that her great grandmother was half Wyandott Indian. So that would be my great great great great grandparent and I'm not sure if anything would show up with such a distant connection. My great grandmother knew her great grandmother and I have a picture of her. I'm not a eugenicist so can't tell what kind of features are native versus African, plus this side of my family has known European ancestry too so it would just be a guess to try to figure it out and a dumb guess at that IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy