Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:47 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Sure , North and South American culture have been influenced by African culture. Although Slavery under the Spanish was more brutal than Slavery under the English, they allowed more mixing between Spanish , African and Indian cultures, That's why in Brasil there are more people who are equally mixed with European, African and Indian heritage, than in the US.
True, but remember that Brazil was not a Spanish colony....still, there was more mixing in South America than in North America.

When two distant cultures share certain a feature, that feature is referred to as a "Cultural Universal" for instance one reason many Black people in South America took to the Catholic Faith is that it resembled African rituals. Its many saints reminded them of their many deities.

Quote:
In reference to the OP's theory, It is difficult to attribute all similarities between ethnic groups to the presence of cultural exchange. Language is the best indicator of exchange. I have heard some African Americans say "Okie Dokie" which is Creek.
I of course knew that saying, but had no idea that it came from Creek or even NA origins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 12:26 PM

399 posts, read 819,854 times
Quote:
I'd expect that "African Americans" probably have more English and European blood than they do native American
I agree, according to the PBS serie African American Lives, it's relatively rare that African American have Native American ancestry. They have more European blood, especially English and Scots-Irish blood.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:23 PM

799 posts, read 1,094,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Your personal genetic makeup is a matter of science, not a matter of historical record.

The same thing can be said for the interaction and relationship of Africans and white Europeans.

I would get a DNA test done before I went around claiming I was significantly Native American.

I say this because if you're an African American, your family has probably been in this country just as long as mine has, and I know that after a good bit of research I still have no possible way of determining via historical documents that I do or do not have Native American or African blood from the 1500-1800. All I really have are assumptions based on what I know about history, and "probably" isn't good enough for me.

Well I didn't explain my logic, but my logic is that Native Americans and Africans lived side-by-side as slaves in the early colonial days of Latin America.

As I understand it, africans in the southeastern U.S. had far less contact with native Americans than Africans in South America.

As far as "that not being the case in South America", in your claim, I'm going to have to call your B.S. on this one. "South America" is not one big racial monolith, their racial characteristics are closely tied to nationality. Some areas of South America are heavily European, some are heavily African, and some are heavily Native American. Racially they were a "melting pot" moreso than the southeastern US.
I don't disagree with you that the southeastern US is more diverse than a whole continent but who would? Anyways I never stated that claim, my claim was that based on ya logic that if that was the case the people in South America should have more Spanish ancestry than their Native ancestors

*I was referring to other African Americans w/ significant amount of Native Blood in their past and ancestry, I know my family history but not as much as I want to

* You Serious??

*We don't have records but my family know/knew of my ancestors with memory so them saying that my great(-great) grandmothers were of half and full blood Natives says alot and my last name sounds like a Native tribal name I mean, word is bond over here

And what facts to you have based on that claim, because like I said history is written by the victor, and you don't know what the winning side decide to leave out or alter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Same thing for people in parts of West Africa (Senegal, Gambia). The fact that African descendants in the Americas eat corn and chitlins is not necessarily a result of contact with Native Americans.
I said that its a good possibility that they did, because Soul food is predominantly associated with African Americans but the actually foods have been known to be used by Natives (yams, collard greens, corn pudding, pecan pie etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Intermarriage between Natives and Africans was not uncommon. It was at least as common as intermarriage between Natives and Whites. Sadly, many Native Americans in the southwest are unusually racist in my experience. Probably from lack of experience/knowledge about races other than Whites (Spanish and Anglo).
Ay can you tell me some more info on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
I agree, according to the PBS serie African American Lives, it's relatively rare that African American have Native American ancestry. They have more European blood, especially English and Scots-Irish blood.
The thread is not speaking on African Americans in general, but more of the southern and in particular southeastern African Americans

Old 07-01-2011, 04:06 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
The thread is not speaking on African Americans in general, but more of the southern and in particular southeastern African Americans
What this thread is not speaking on is genealogy.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
What this thread is not speaking on is genealogy.
Well then, ole wise one what is this thread speaking on?

Old 07-02-2011, 02:01 AM

521 posts, read 1,150,712 times
Default The southeast is NOT more diverse than the whole country!

Quote:
I don't disagree with you that the southeastern US is more diverse than a whole continent but who would? Anyways I never stated that claim, my claim was that based on ya logic that if that was the case the people in South America should have more Spanish ancestry than their Native ancestors

*I was referring to other African Americans w/ significant amount of Native Blood in their past and ancestry, I know my family history but not as much as I want to

* You Serious??

*We don't have records but my family know/knew of my ancestors with memory so them saying that my great(-great) grandmothers were of half and full blood Natives says alot and my last name sounds like a Native tribal name I mean, word is bond over here

And what facts to you have based on that claim, because like I said history is written by the victor, and you don't know what the winning side decide to leave out or alter

I said that its a good possibility that they did, because Soul food is predominantly associated with African Americans but the actually foods have been known to be used by Natives (yams, collard greens, corn pudding, pecan pie etc.)

Ay can you tell me some more info on this

That's totally not true, at least for white people, it's not! There's many people from Scotland, England, Ireland, down in the south.... Not that many Italians, french, polish, germans, etc...
Now the native cultures... I didn't meet that many different Indian races in the south, though we have lots of Hispanics in Florida.
Up North, however, we have people from all over the WORLD! I don't know why, except New York was where the immigrants had to travel to, to get released into our country...
Getting down to the southeast would be quite a distance for many, if you were hard pressed.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:27 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times
Quote:
Well then, ole wise one what is this thread speaking on?
from the Merriam-Webster dictionary (I removed the definitions that refer to anything non-human):

Definition of GENEALOGY
1 : an account of the descent of a person, family, from an ancestor
2 : regular descent of a person, family from a progenitor : pedigree
3 : the study of family pedigrees

I don't see any of that in this thread.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:41 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,365,591 times
^
It's just another anthropology thread where people spin uninformed theories.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
from the Merriam-Webster dictionary (I removed the definitions that refer to anything non-human):

Definition of GENEALOGY
1 : an account of the descent of a person, family, from an ancestor
2 : regular descent of a person, family from a progenitor : pedigree
3 : the study of family pedigrees

I don't see any of that in this thread.
Umm, I'm speaking on this except on a more broader scale, a race who could have descended from two other races, you can call it Broad Genealogy, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
^
It's just another anthropology thread where people spin uninformed theories.
Uninformed is not the right word, radically would do, even eccentric would be accepted but uninformed, far from it...

Back to the topic.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:31 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,476,748 times
Um, as a southern black woman, I say no. No to your theory. Yes, there are records of blacks and indians marrying, but it doesn't mean much. There have been genetic studies of blacks in america. Most have more white than native american in their blood. I'm not saying that there is none, but it is not as predominant as people think (same with a majority of whites claiming native ancestry). I think this is just something that white and black americans like to believe in, having a native princess ancestor down the line.

Your theory sounds romantic, but you have to be realistic.There was no "deliberate, spiritual" marriage between the two groups. Yes, soul food has native influences, but so does other traditional southern (and other regional) foods. You having a red tint in your skin doesn't mean much. "Pure" africans are known to have varying yellow and red hues as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy