Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 01:09 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Well, from my 10,345th Grandfather the globe was named after him - Phineas Unitus Earth, his father was Stratopherius Heavens. He had three daughters - Windy, Liquaious, and Lavasious. No males heirs so the name never stuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 09:47 PM

88,042 posts, read 83,879,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I think these examples are so cool. Whenever I see any geographical feature with a name on it, I always wonder who it was named after, and whether anyone around the area even remembers.
No geographical feature named for my family, just a few streets.

But, since I see you are from NJ--there is a stream that is a Superfund site that runs along Teterboro Airport in Bergen County. It is called Berry's Creek. I knew of the creek for a long time because of documents having to do with the airport, but only in the past couple of years did I realize who Berry was.

John Berry was wealthy planter in Barbados who was lured by the British crown in the 17th century to move to what is now Bergen County and establish landholdings there. He brought the first slaves into the area and called the area that is now Hackensack "New Barbados". He was became a colonial governor of NJ.

Now there's a badly polluted creek bearing his name.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:55 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,865,021 times
Yes, the Park family was so famous that all grassy and/or shady pleasant pieces of property designed for the public enjoyment is named after my ancestors two millenia ago.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:03 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,061,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
How about the other way around?

My mother's family has the name Funderburk which is one of several Americanized versions of Von der Berg -- literally, "from the mountain."

There are both a mountain and a castle, on the Wupper River in northern Germany, from which this family name has been confirmed to originate.
I'm close to quite a few Funderburks here in NC! Before moving here, I'd never heard the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy