Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 11:08 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,956 times

Advertisements

I am looking into a line in my tree and keep hitting the same brick wall. Apparently, many people hit this same wall. Levi Powers (1805-1886) and Massie/Massey/Massa Barfield (1813- ). I cannot find Levi's parents. I Have found Massey's Parents ( f Keightley Barfield / m Elizabeth Windham) And I can't go further. I found Keightley on a census from 1820 (maybe him... maybe not) in Mississippi, but nowhere else on a census. Massey lists South Carolina as her birthplace (1850 & 1860 censuses) soo maybe her father was working away from home/ left the family/ moved the family to Mississippi then moved back to South Carolina/ or a completely different person all together. Does anyone here have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 07:58 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,379,036 times
Anyone?

Old 09-07-2011, 02:00 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,141,448 times
Problem is, especially given your post, is you don't really give a lot of information. For one, you didn't say where he lived, where he was born, what records you have on him, etc., just a mention of Georgetown County. No one probably jumped on it, because of not much to go on.

Finding parentage in that time period can be very difficult, and in my limited experience of South Carolina ... it's not an area where information is overflowing on the internet. So you might have to do some actual library research.

One thing you need to do is to put him with associates. He's listed in the 1830 census, in Marion County. Listed immediately adjacent to him are Jonathan Powers and George Powers, who are both roughly his age ... both a little older. I'd lay money on it that they are his brothers. And one thing you know about brothers is, they have the same parents. George is listed in the 1820 census in Marion County, and there is also a John Powers, both of whom are likely the ones living next to Levi in 1830. But in the county, there is also a W. John Powers, who is over the age of 45. He's the only Powers in the county old enough to be their father. He's obviously dead by 1830.

I think what you're going to need to do is get the land & court records for Marion County on microfilm, through an LDS Family History Center, and go through them for all the Powers records. The best way to track descendencies in southern records are usually through the land records. Look for wills and deeds both.

Incidentally, in the War of 1812 records listed on the Marion County USGenWeb site, for Keith's 5th Regiment SC Militia, listed are several Barfields, including "Keithy L." who was a sergeant and several Powers, including George and John.

So it looks like they were both from Marion County, South Carolina families.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:36 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,385 times
i know a fair amount regarding researching South Carolina geneaology. I will search for info when i get the time.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:45 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,385 times
Prior to 1769 this area was "Craven County"
From 1769 to 1800 this was "Georgetown District"
after 1800 "Georgetown District" became 4 counties which exist today (albiet in a different shape) -- Horry, Georgetown, Marion, and Williamsburg.

The earliest records I found for the Powers family go back to 1752-1756, when Giles Powers settled in Craven County. He owned land in a place called "Catfish Swamp," in today's Marion County, just north of the city of Marion, on the Pee Dee River. I don't know anything about his family, but I'd venture a guess that he is the "father" of the SC Powers.

All I can find about Levi Powers is listed as "Levi Powers Jr", and his enrollment in the militia in 1869, at age 22. He enrolled right next to Barfield Powers (26) and John Powers (28). They were all from the Pee Dee area.

My best guess is that Levi Jr (b. 1847) is possibly not your direct ancestor, but is the son of Levi Sr. (b. 1805), who IS your direct ancestor.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:21 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Prior to 1769 this area was "Craven County"
From 1769 to 1800 this was "Georgetown District"
after 1800 "Georgetown District" became 4 counties which exist today (albiet in a different shape) -- Horry, Georgetown, Marion, and Williamsburg.

The earliest records I found for the Powers family go back to 1752-1756, when Giles Powers settled in Craven County. He owned land in a place called "Catfish Swamp," in today's Marion County, just north of the city of Marion, on the Pee Dee River. I don't know anything about his family, but I'd venture a guess that he is the "father" of the SC Powers.

All I can find about Levi Powers is listed as "Levi Powers Jr", and his enrollment in the militia in 1869, at age 22. He enrolled right next to Barfield Powers (26) and John Powers (28). They were all from the Pee Dee area.

My best guess is that Levi Jr (b. 1847) is possibly not your direct ancestor, but is the son of Levi Sr. (b. 1805), who IS your direct ancestor.
You are correct, this Levi is a brother of my direct descendant. To complicate matters, Levi was a common name in my tree, both as a given name and as a middle name.

I am very thankful for the records you found with the name Giles, this is the area that my family lived for many, many years. LOL, I remember wading in Pee Dee creek as a kid.

Quote:
Problem is, especially given your post, is you don't really give a lot of information. For one, you didn't say where he lived, where he was born, what records you have on him, etc., just a mention of Georgetown County. No one probably jumped on it, because of not much to go on.

Finding parentage in that time period can be very difficult, and in my limited experience of South Carolina ... it's not an area where information is overflowing on the internet. So you might have to do some actual library research.

One thing you need to do is to put him with associates. He's listed in the 1830 census, in Marion County. Listed immediately adjacent to him are Jonathan Powers and George Powers, who are both roughly his age ... both a little older. I'd lay money on it that they are his brothers. And one thing you know about brothers is, they have the same parents. George is listed in the 1820 census in Marion County, and there is also a John Powers, both of whom are likely the ones living next to Levi in 1830. But in the county, there is also a W. John Powers, who is over the age of 45. He's the only Powers in the county old enough to be their father. He's obviously dead by 1830.

I think what you're going to need to do is get the land & court records for Marion County on microfilm, through an LDS Family History Center, and go through them for all the Powers records. The best way to track descendencies in southern records are usually through the land records. Look for wills and deeds both.

Incidentally, in the War of 1812 records listed on the Marion County USGenWeb site, for Keith's 5th Regiment SC Militia, listed are several Barfields, including "Keithy L." who was a sergeant and several Powers, including George and John.

So it looks like they were both from Marion County, South Carolina families.
I am sorry I did not include more information. I have never posted on a board like this to get some direction. The only records I have are the 1850-1860-1870 censuses. I looked at the 1930 through Heritage quest, but If I remember correctly it was very difficult to read... the paper did not scan well, IIRC. I will look again when I get home.

Thank you for the idea about land/will records. I will look into getting that information. I may take a day and drive to the library in Georgetown to see what they have.

Thank you both for your help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy