U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 04:52 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

49,104 posts, read 27,902,769 times

Advertisements

...have you expanded what you know or thought you knew by getting yeet another record?

Every time I get another birth, marriage or death certificate or any other record it seems like there's always some new grain of knowledge.

Sometimes there's a giant boulder of new knowledge.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 11:09 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,977,750 times
I understand bjh. This isn't about records, but another fact I discovered a couple weeks ago. I have been seeing a little wooden white cross in an old country cemetery in west Clark County AR but paid no attention to it because I was always on a specific project. A couple weeks ago I looked at it, the last name was in my family tree, so when I got home I searched my tree and it marks the grave of the six year old half-sister of my maternal grandmother. But that's not the end. She died in 1922 and as far as I can find, none of her fathers or her mothers family lived in that area at that time And as we often write about here; All who knew are gone

Old 11-02-2011, 07:59 AM

35,441 posts, read 37,472,887 times
Default ... and get all you can from every record.

A cousin and I disagreed over which of two women in a small town was the one that fit in our family tree.

The mortality schedule for the census has a column that tells you which family in the full census the person on the schedule matches. That little number solved the mystery for us.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I understand bjh. This isn't about records, but another fact I discovered a couple weeks ago. I have been seeing a little wooden white cross in an old country cemetery in west Clark County AR but paid no attention to it because I was always on a specific project. A couple weeks ago I looked at it, the last name was in my family tree, so when I got home I searched my tree and it marks the grave of the six year old half-sister of my maternal grandmother. But that's not the end. She died in 1922 and as far as I can find, none of her fathers or her mothers family lived in that area at that time And as we often write about here; All who knew are gone
Sounds almost like the cross wanted to be noticed by you.

New answer, but they bring new questions, too.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
A cousin and I disagreed over which of two women in a small town was the one that fit in our family tree.

The mortality schedule for the census has a column that tells you which family in the full census the person on the schedule matches. That little number solved the mystery for us.
Cool.

I've only just begun to explore lateral relatives. Too busy to really focus on it right now, but am looking forward to discovering what else is out there.

Maybe a brick wall could come tumbling down.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:43 AM

8,776 posts, read 11,179,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I have an Arkansas brick wall...sorta. My great grandfather supposedly died in Marshall, Searcy, AR in Sept. or Oct. 1882. White county has also been mentioned. I have never been able to find a death certificate and nobody seems to know which cemetery he was buried in. One correspondent said she thought his grave was moved when they put a highway through the cemetery but I don't really know about that either. I know that he had relatives from KY and KS living there at the time...some his, some his wife's. After his death his wife and three kids lived variously back in KS and then OK eventually going to SE CO in 1895. They are all accounted for. He originally went to AR to visit/live with his brother-in-law and family,in Baxter Co., and THEY all ended up in SE CO as well. Most of them anyway...some evidently ended up in ID. In 1915 my grandparents were visiting relatives in Marshall and one of my aunts was born there instead of CO. I don't think my grandmother ever forgave my grandad for that trip!

Any 'hints' as to how to go about locating my great grandfather's place of death/burial?? This has been 'bugging' me for years!

Old 11-02-2011, 03:56 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,977,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I have an Arkansas brick wall...sorta. My great grandfather supposedly died in Marshall, Searcy, AR in Sept. or Oct. 1882. White county has also been mentioned. I have never been able to find a death certificate and nobody seems to know which cemetery he was buried in. One correspondent said she thought his grave was moved when they put a highway through the cemetery but I don't really know about that either. I know that he had relatives from KY and KS living there at the time...some his, some his wife's. After his death his wife and three kids lived variously back in KS and then OK eventually going to SE CO in 1895. They are all accounted for. He originally went to AR to visit/live with his brother-in-law and family,in Baxter Co., and THEY all ended up in SE CO as well. Most of them anyway...some evidently ended up in ID. In 1915 my grandparents were visiting relatives in Marshall and one of my aunts was born there instead of CO. I don't think my grandmother ever forgave my grandad for that trip!

Any 'hints' as to how to go about locating my great grandfather's place of death/burial?? This has been 'bugging' me for years!
ADB, send me a DM with as much detail as possible and I'll see if I can come up with anything. It's going to be difficult though for that time frame, especially in that area.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:33 PM

35,441 posts, read 37,472,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Cool.

I've only just begun to explore lateral relatives. Too busy to really focus on it right now, but am looking forward to discovering what else is out there.

I've started looking at lateral lines, too. The first brick I knocked out of one wall happened because I noticed two brothers married women with similar last names. Turns out they were similar because the women were sisters. One surname had been mistranscribed from the marriage license.

I have a gggrandfather for whom I have found a record mentioning a family Bible. I have traced a descendant from another line and I am hoping she might have it or know who does but I am having a problem getting her to answer my emails.

I was looking at another lateral line this week and discovered someone who was married to the Meriwether County, GA Sheriff in the late 40's who was involved in "The Murder in Coweta County." That was way cool!

Old 11-02-2011, 09:42 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,308,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Cool.

My husband discovered 5 cousins off the line of the oldest of 8 children of his 3rd g-grandparents, 30+ (yes thirty +) off the 3rd child ( they also don't speak to anyone but that line), 1 off the 7th child and himself off the last ( 8th child). We also have 2 off of different lines and my husband off a 3rd of 5 children of a different set of 3rd g-grandparents. Brick walls did tumble, amazingly, pictures showed distant cousins looked like twins -- a very enjoyable situation. Those of us all in one area get together. We are spread form NY to CA.We can trace the route the family took west by where people are located.

When you find one relative, you may find many.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I've started looking at lateral lines, too. The first brick I knocked out of one wall happened because I noticed two brothers married women with similar last names. Turns out they were similar because the women were sisters. One surname had been mistranscribed from the marriage license.

I have a gggrandfather for whom I have found a record mentioning a family Bible. I have traced a descendant from another line and I am hoping she might have it or know who does but I am having a problem getting her to answer my emails.

I was looking at another lateral line this week and discovered someone who was married to the Meriwether County, GA Sheriff in the late 40's who was involved in "The Murder in Coweta County." That was way cool!
Great stuff!

It would be good if family Bible owners would scan and post pages with family information. Such an easy thing to do these days. This would be especially helpful since many may be descended from the original Bible owners, but only one family member can hold the book at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy