Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 06:51 PM

261 posts, read 951,753 times

Advertisements

I've been the family genealogist since I was twelve and have since written 2 books for families, manage 2 websites and a genealogy business.

What has been your brick wall to hit and can't get through?

I have found out that I have a half uncle and half aunt from Grandfather's first marriage, but they would be almost 88 years old now and dont' even know if they are still alive. Dont have a clue where to look for them, as they are no where to be found after 1930 census. Can't look up 1940 census for a few more years! Brick wall!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 09:50 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,495,646 times
Not to sound negative and assuming you know, but...

Have you looked here?

Social Security Death Index Interactive Search

Old 11-07-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Not to sound negative and assuming you know, but...

Have you looked here?

Social Security Death Index Interactive Search

Yeah, we looked every where. Right now, the only clue that we have lies with my dad's older brother but he's not willing to give up any information. So, for now we are at a stand still.

Just wondering if anyone else has hit brick walls and what they have done to get through them or even around them!

Old 11-07-2007, 09:56 PM

For us it's my father's grandfather. We know where and when he died, but there is no record of where he was buried.

I checked cemeteries and records around the area and then my brother reminded me he died in February, in Iowa. They could have put is frozen body in the back of a wagon and carried him??? Frustrating.

Or the records from my fathers adoption. Can't get them. Don't know who I am. Frustrating.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aomething View Post
Yeah, we looked every where. Right now, the only clue that we have lies with my dad's older brother but he's not willing to give up any information. So, for now we are at a stand still.

Just wondering if anyone else has hit brick walls and what they have done to get through them or even around them!
Yeah, relatives. My grandfather's brother lived 6 blocks down the street when I was a kid. Didn't know it, never met him. Never found out what transpired, but it must have been a doozy.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:58 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,602,546 times
I've gotten as far as my great grandfather, a Union soldier in the Civil War who fought in many of the bloody battles in Virginia after him I hit a brick wall because it would mean researching in Ireland. Back then many records were kept through the churches...to big a maze for me

Old 11-08-2007, 08:56 AM

690 posts, read 2,623,177 times
Yes - for me, it's my paternal grandfather's family. My grandfather's parents came here from Greece in 1907, and brought their mothers with them, so I have all that info, but that's as far as I can get. Extremely frustrating. I am also stuck on my maternal grandmother's grandparents - found them, but can't get farther back.

I've been doing working on this stuff for about 2 years now, and I love it, but there are times when it makes me want to pull my hair out!

Old 11-08-2007, 09:02 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,286,374 times
Yeah - have researched my and my husband's side.

Mine is that my bohemian ancestors were from a town named malkov. All the church records from that church were burned in a fire.

None on husband's side so far.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:29 AM

6,023 posts, read 13,994,337 times
All I did was Google my last name and poof ! there it was. A distant cousin already did all the work, he built a family history website but he hit the brick wall at the German boarder so to speak. To go further back than my Great, Great, Great grandfather it would be necessary to advertise in German newspapers to get any further info about my family.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:39 AM

Has anyone hit the brick wall when it comes to the maternal sides? I am actually lucky that my mother knew her grandmother and the maternal side while growing up. That is the family that I wrote about. My brick wall is the paternal side. I can't get past Grandfather in Orkney, Scotland.

We would also have to advertise in Scotland for information. Not sure what else to do. It's harder to research over seas. Much easier with internet but harder all the same.

How about success stories when you have been able to break through a wall??!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy