Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 04:09 PM
bjh

59,746 posts, read 30,187,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Here's more info if interested; 1940 Census Records
*yawn*

I don't expect to learn much from this census.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 06:52 PM

44,547 posts, read 61,242,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
*yawn*

We are, we're looking forward to locating a lot of people, relatives and friends, and the places where we use to live.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:39 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Three months? Now I'm wondering what have I been wasting the last thirty years on, and why I have all those missing ancestors, if it only takes three months to complete a family tree.
*snark*

There are varying definitions of "family tree". Some people are fine going in a straight line back up through their mom and dad - which wouldn't take that long, I suppose. Others (moi) get hooked on the historical and snooping aspect of finding out who their 3rd cousin twice removed was and what kind of life they lead.

It will probably be of a benefit to a more direct ancestor; one reason for leaving my tree public; but I'll come across an obscure ancestor in a newspaper article and go "ooooh, here was a guy who sold snake oil medicine and got ran out of town" (true story) "I wonder whatever became of him?" and start digging.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:48 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
*yawn*

Heh

Quote:
For all women who are or have been married:
  • Has this woman been married more than once? (Yes or No)
  • Age at first marriage.
  • Number of children ever born (do not include stillbirths).
There are a few women in my family whom the more straight-laced and conservative members considered scandalous and only spoke of in whispers. I'm thinking I might find a few clues in those disclosures

Old 01-03-2012, 11:27 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,091,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Here's more info if interested; 1940 Census Records
Very interesting. Thanks for the link.

Questions I'm eager to see answered include:

An "X' indicating the person who ANSWERED the census taker.
Where everyone resided on April 1, 1935.
Income figures.

Those are all new, and nice bits of information to have.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:15 AM
bjh

59,746 posts, read 30,187,814 times
Quote:
Very interesting. Thanks for the link.

Questions I'm eager to see answered include:

An "X' indicating the person who ANSWERED the census taker.
Where everyone resided on April 1, 1935.
Income figures.

Those are all new, and nice bits of information to have.
I wonder how they handled answers from neighbors.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:51 AM

50,005 posts, read 63,335,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
And FYI, the 1940 census will be released early 2012, but I don't remember the month.
Its April.
Don't forget, if you know the addresses where your family has lived you can Google Earth them and sometimes the houses are still there.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:54 AM

50,005 posts, read 63,335,877 times
Quote:
Three months? Now I'm wondering what have I been wasting the last thirty years on, and why I have all those missing ancestors, if it only takes three months to complete a family tree.
Seriously, enrico, my husband's great aunt left reams of correspondance with the records departments of different states, and got basically nowhere. She would have been so excited at the speed and abundance of the records on ancestry.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:12 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,091,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Seriously, enrico, my husband's great aunt left reams of correspondance with the records departments of different states, and got basically nowhere. She would have been so excited at the speed and abundance of the records on ancestry.
Yes, she would have. But I must say, you're obviously not doing genealogy the way I am. And that's fine if that's all you want. Personally, I want mine to be accurate, and well-documented, and I want full pictures of my relatives lives. Not just the vital statistics copied from someone else's (possibly) shoddy work.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:49 PM

10,103 posts, read 19,306,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Do not worry about ancestry.com trying to scam you. Cancelling after the free trial is easy. They may have discounted membership promos in January, too, if you decide to continue. I would not buy the more expensive world membership until you have more experience and know you are going to be able to use it.

You jumped the gun a little bit with the free trial. It's better to figure out what you already know, then make a "to do" list of what you are looking for so you can use your two weeks efficiently.

If you just want to nose around a little bit, you're OK. On the other hand, if you want to get serious, you'll want a genealogy program to store your data. They are not expensive. Genealogy research causes a massive information overload and rapidly becomes addictive. Be prepared!

Be aware that the family trees on ancestry.com contain a lot of bad information. Anything you find there really needs to be confirmed with other sources.

Ancestry has millions of records. You'll see scanned copies of original documents, including federal Census records, which are sort of the backbone for beginning your research. Most people start with the census and work back in time. Right now the most recent census the general public can see is from 1930. The 1940 census will be available in April of next year.

I would suggest talking to your living relatives first. Find out all they know. You are even likely to find someone who is already doing research, because the hobby is so popular.

You can browse this forum for several threads on getting started. I would do links, but it is late and I need to get to bed.

Good hunting!
Thanks, but none of my relatives are alive! I'm an only child of an only child on my mother's side however my grandpa was quite a storyteller, and, I remember enough of those stories to have made a pretty good start! I've managed to trace that part of the family back to about 1810. It was quite thrilling to find my GP draft enlistment for both WWI and WWII, his BC, ML, etc.

You are all quite right, it is addictive! I've also discovered the LDS family geneaology site, a lot of information for FREE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy