Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 12:02 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times

Advertisements

Going way, way back, mostly farmers, millers, and blacksmiths with a few pastors for good measure. Beginning in the the early twentieth century, farmers, machinists, and teachers raised engineers, doctors, and more teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 01:40 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Father-Consultant Engineer.
Mother-Genealogist/theatre worker

Paternal grandfather-Doctor
Paternal grandmother-Housewife/cookbook author/magazine & newspaper food article writer
Her father was a wholesale grocer. Founder of a grocery store chain.

Maternal grandfather-Salesman
Maternal grandmother-Housewife

Cat

Old 03-24-2014, 08:53 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
piano player in a ***** house

Old 03-24-2014, 10:42 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Default Ale Sitter

I found a guy way back in the late middle ages who was an "Ale Sitter" and was fined for not sitting in the ale. I guess he didn't like it. Apparently, brewers had guys dressed in leather pants sit in a puddle of ale on a bench until they stuck to the bench because of the sugar content of the ale. They needed a certain amount for proper fermentation and had no other way to measure it. He turned out not to be directly related but some sort of a cousin to my line.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:02 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
On my father's side they started out as whalers, career military, politicians, and most recently involved in finance and owning businesses.

My mother's side had a published minister to the crown, the adjutant general of the Mobile Ala confederate troops, a couple of female teachers, and my grandfather with his degree who managed the affairs of wealthy individuals during the robber baron period whose estates were essentially self contained upscale private towns.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:09 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
My mom was a factory worker my dad was middle management...

One grandfather was a coal miner, one was a factory worker in the North.
One great grandfather was a Police officer for a time, one was a minister and also worked for the rail road.

Most of my 2nd GG Fathers and further back were sod busters (Farmers). I did have a 3rd GG Father who was a Cooper (Barrel Maker) and his dad, my 4th ggf owned and operated a MILL in Middle Tn just before the Civil War..

Old 03-25-2014, 09:01 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,966 times
Father's side 1600-present. Germany to U.S......artist/sculpturers, doctors, castle masters, postmasters, burgemeesters, college teachers, judges, geophysicists (grandfather searched for oil all over South and then North America) and bankers. Father worked for Federal Reserve for 30+ years.
Mothers side 1800-present. Poland to U.S.......Farmers, blacksmiths, and banker. Mother was Administrative Director for the Houston Chapter of the American Institute of Banking (AIB) for many years.
I'm the black sheep. I'm a retired weldor.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:05 AM

738 posts, read 999,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
...I'm the black sheep. I'm a retired weldor.
But a noble profession nonetheless .

I've got gardeners, landscapers, Vaudeville performers, parole officers, ditch diggers, air traffic controllers, real estate developers, wood choppers (seriously), farmers, fishermen, interior decorators, motormen, book binders, hucksters, waitresses and an administrative supervisor. Not too exciting really.

RVcook

Old 03-26-2014, 01:33 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,948 times
Most of mine were pretty "normal" jobs. But there was one ancestor who was pretty interesting.

He was a doctor with the Prussian Royal Medical college (I forget what they were called at the moment), exiled from Germany in 1848 due to the revolutions, had his property taken from him, and he started over in America as a doctor. While this was his profession, he also spearheaded building the education system in his new home region, was recognized as a remarkable man in various community records, and was a delegate to the Republican Conventions in 1860 and 1868 (voted for Lincoln and Grant).

Old 05-03-2014, 05:45 PM

111 posts, read 339,757 times
My paternal grandmother's parents and grandparents were all turkey farmers. They were doing it back in Ukraine. My paternal grandfather's family were farmers too - they grew corn, rice, and soy, and herded pigs. Some of them were miners. My mother's family had a variety of jobs, mostly working-class ones. There were a lot of maids in her family, especially on the Italian side - my maternal grandmother was a maid herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy