U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 09:08 PM

2,692 posts, read 3,989,064 times

Advertisements

Are there websites you have used that have nice programs for entering family tree information that are user friendly, and present the information well?

I would like one that allows you to present a bit more information under each person icon (ex. name, date of birth/death, birthplace, maybe occupation), and that you can print more easily. I have been using one of the free websites that is ok when you look at the information on the screen, but is just a mess when you try to print it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 01:39 AM

6,413 posts, read 11,414,069 times
Any decent software that you purchase will do that for you. The amount of information it'll present on a tree is usually limited to BMD, simply because of space. To get more information, you need a text report.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:35 AM

9,900 posts, read 16,143,260 times
Are you looking for software to install on your computer or an online tree that simply has a better print option?

For online trees, I recommend www.Ancestry.com you can build a tree online with a free account (though you can't access most records and have to be invited by a tree owner to view anyone else's tree) and they have a specific print option. You can print a family group sheet or you can print one individuals info which will include all facts about that person including occupation/residence and even your sources. I think their online trees work really well and have many options for being just an online tree.

If you're looking for software, have you checked out Free Family Tree, Genealogy and Family History - MyHeritage.com ? They have free software available - but to upload your tree online, you can only have 500 people in your tree unless you pay for a subscription. But it's a good option for getting started with software if you're not concerned about an online tree.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:30 AM

Thanks for your thoughts.

I was not planning to purchase software. Just wanted to find a program online (for free) so that I could nicely put together some information I have gathered and print it for a few family members. Not planning on doing long-term information gathering.

Thank you for the links! Much appreciated.

The hard thing is that I spent hours entering all the info into this other program, and basically you can't print it in any usable form. I don't mind taping things together. I just wanted to get a recommendation from people before I spend all of that time again.

So if one of those programs worked well for anyone here, feel free to endorse. I'll start looking at Ancestry.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:22 PM

6,894 posts, read 11,546,617 times
Thumbs up Free Software

I have not used it myself ( I use FTM), but the LDS folks offer a free download of their "Personal Ancestral File" (PAF) software. It has a companion download for charts and trees.

Go To FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records
look at the right side of screen for info

Old 01-23-2012, 02:06 PM

6,481 posts, read 6,558,636 times
This is a really good question, OP, and I would like to see more answers.

I prefer to use a "Fan Chart" to the standard tree layout. I have a poster sized one I've written in by hand as nicely as I can, but I'd love some software that would build and print fan charts. Haven't ever seen one, though. I guess the problem comes with how they could possibly be printed, though . . . it would take some awfully huge paper!

Old 01-23-2012, 02:17 PM

Default Printing

One thing that I thought of.... in the science world we have to produce "posters" all the time that are quite big. There are programs that help you make them, and to print them, you bring your disc to a Kinkos and they print them out on huge pieces of paper. They can even print them onto poster board, or flexible vinyl like material and other surfaces. I haven't made one for a long time, and I had co-workers in administration who knew the details.

So that was also something I was considering, it it was an option.

Has anyone done it?

I think it is most fun to look at the family trees when there is more information on it, under each individual.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:31 PM
bjh

47,107 posts, read 27,412,807 times
Is a pencil and paper a program?

Old 01-23-2012, 03:35 PM

ha ha

It certainly is! And that is what I have so far. And boy is it messy. And hard to reproduce for many family members.

Yes, that is still one of my favorite programs....

Old 01-23-2012, 07:11 PM

34,495 posts, read 36,621,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Are there websites you have used that have nice programs for entering family tree information that are user friendly, and present the information well?

I would like one that allows you to present a bit more information under each person icon (ex. name, date of birth/death, birthplace, maybe occupation), and that you can print more easily. I have been using one of the free websites that is ok when you look at the information on the screen, but is just a mess when you try to print it.
Are you looking for a wall chart?

Many programs can do that.

RootsMagic

RootsMagic Chart and Map Printing Service

They offer a service that will do it so you do not have to tape it together

Ancestry.com

Genealogy Chart Printing & Family Tree Printing Services

Created by Camtasia Studio 5

I listed RootsMagic because it is the one I use.

I suspect all the genealogy programs can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy