Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 09:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Why is "white" in quotation marks?
I actually can't remember what my reason was.

Quote:
This thread STINKS of racism.
I find it interesting and non-racist.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:30 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:

So much of the Holocaust would not have happened if we did not have quotas on Eastern and Southern Europeans. But we did.

Oh and that Holocaust? It's like...NOT UP FOR DEBATE. I have met personally 20 or more people who were victims of it.

And a thread like this? It makes me think that Americans haven't changed much since then....
No one is saying mixing is a bad thing...

and yeah, this is totally related to holocaust denial...

Yeah I've got a white hood in my closet, want me to some to your church and do some cross-burning?

Old 02-06-2012, 12:39 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,141,448 times
Quote:

So much of the Holocaust would not have happened if we did not have quotas on Eastern and Southern Europeans. But we did.

Oh and that Holocaust? It's like...NOT UP FOR DEBATE. I have met personally 20 or more people who were victims of it.

And a thread like this? It makes me think that Americans haven't changed much since then....
You do know it's an Australian, not an American who's the OP, don't you?

Quotas, which were established in 1924 in the US, had that act not passed would not have stopped the Holocaust. Maybe the numbers wouldn't have been as high, but it wouldn't have stopped. And what it did was reduce the numbers of immigrants from Eastern and Southern Europe, but increase the numbers for Northwestern Europe, which included Germany.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:07 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
You do know it's an Australian, not an American who's the OP, don't you?

Quotas, which were established in 1924 in the US, had that act not passed would not have stopped the Holocaust. Maybe the numbers wouldn't have been as high, but it wouldn't have stopped. And what it did was reduce the numbers of immigrants from Eastern and Southern Europe, but increase the numbers for Northwestern Europe, which included Germany.
No, it's certainly not all all the Jews in Europe would have left for America.

Australia had the White Australia Policy until the early 1970s...it was only after than that refugees from Vietnam flooded here.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:20 AM

994 posts, read 1,681,665 times
Everyone in the world is a mutt

Old 02-06-2012, 09:06 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
People who lived in a small, rural area for many generations did tend to marry into the same families. But, it's not necessarily a Southern trait. I spend most of my time working on descendencies. One of a Southern family, and two of New England families. I've found that by far, the New Englanders married in and out of the same families far more often than the Southern family did. The Boston blue-bloods are particularly guilty of it.
Sure, I agree.

The big difference is that in Boston, you have to clip out most of the population to find the "Boston Blue Bloods." It is a large metropolitan area, that's seen quite a bit of immigration over the centuries.

In the south, the "man on the street" is likely to have an ancestry similar to mine. AFAIK, some of the outer reaches of Maine and eastern Canada have quite a bit in common with both the white southerners and the old-money Boston types, descended from early colonial settlers.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes indeed he did. Fancied himself a bit of a poet, old Bob.
Fancied himself? A bit?

Bob Dylan IS a poet. He's been considered a poet since "Blowin in the Wind" and "A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall".

He's been called a poet since 1963 when he blew people out of the water with the realese of "The Free Wheelin' Bob Dylan".

Sorry, don't mean to derail your thread but some things cannot be ignored.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-06-2012 at 09:27 AM..

Old 02-06-2012, 09:35 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,171,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I actually can't remember what my reason was.

I find it interesting and non-racist.
I don't find it racist either. I suspect all races are somewhat in mutt form by now though.

I just wish with all my heritage that someone would have left me a few bucks. Seems like my lineage managed to use all the money up before
I came into the picture.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:58 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've noticed this. Why is this?

Lou Reed's birth name was Rabinowitz (in this case his parents changed their names). Bob Dylan's was Zimmerman but of course they are nothing like the original names.

I am the arbiter of all things "Lou Reed" and Mr.Reed was born Louis Alan Reed to Sydney and Toby Reed.

To my knowledge Sydney Reed was born with the name "Reed" - The name could have been changed at Ellis Island.

There was an article in the late "Cream" magazine,(1970s) written by Lester Bangs that said that Lou Reed changed his own name. It wasn't true.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:06 PM

31,022 posts, read 22,059,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That's why Malcom X dropped his last name; so he won't have the same last name as the owners of his ancestors.
His ancestors didn't have the same language either so he could have given up the entire English language and the Alphabet by the same rationale. Just saying, when do you stop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy