Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 09:13 AM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I'd say "mutt" is derogatory when referring to humans, that's just me though.

I would agree that "mutt" sounds derogatory. If anyone has seen the hateful rhetoric of White Supremacists, and their talk about "mongrel races", it sounds very similar.

Coupled with the comparison to Australia, which is a very Anglo-Saxon country, there is a racist tinge to this.

Why is being "Anglo" any better or more desirable than anything else?

Old 02-03-2012, 09:15 AM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Is "half-breed" any less insulting?
No.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:20 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I would agree that "mutt" sounds derogatory. If anyone has seen the hateful rhetoric of White Supremacists, and their talk about "mongrel races", it sounds very similar.

Coupled with the comparison to Australia, which is a very Anglo-Saxon country, there is a racist tinge to this.

This discussion of Purebred > all has been discussed on CD ad nauseum..it's obviously racist.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:23 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
This discussion of Purebred > all has been discussed on CD ad nauseum..it's obviously racist.
I don't see how you figure it's "racist." Racism involves hate or discrimination. No one is making a value judgement here about whether it is better to be more genetically diverse, or more "pure bred."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I would agree that "mutt" sounds derogatory.
It doesn't sound derogatory to me. I explained what my ancestry is, and I would take no offense at being called a "mutt."

Quote:
No one said it was! That's just this weird inference you keep making. It's a discussion about the racial history of Americans. Believe it or not, not all of us "white folk" are the same.

Last edited by le roi; 02-03-2012 at 09:33 AM..

Old 02-03-2012, 09:32 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Am I complaining? I don't really thinks so, I mean I didn't mean for it to sound that way. I think I am just stating a fact. If this country does become a multi-language and multi-cultural society it will not be as strong as it has been in the past...
But it has been "multi-language and multi-cultural" in the past as well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
...Hey, I'm democrat, I'm not one of these neocon hustlers with hate in my heart. I just think for the good of the country and the good of the new Americans learning English and becoming an American is very important.
Sure, but it is an unfair comparison to think our own glorified ancestors adapted quicker. I have had the wealth of experiencing an immigrant spouse and stepchildren, whom within a matter of a few years, have become largely indistinguishable from the native population in my area. Opinions are formed from experiences (I'm not going to tell you how you should feel, nor counter that my view is closer to the average), don't base a narrow perspective of time and events as indisputable fact.

Immigrants are going to adapt to America at their own speed, probably outside the vision of what someone else wants them too become...

That is the American way, and is what has made this country great...

Old 02-03-2012, 10:06 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
It doesn't sound derogatory to me. I explained what my ancestry is, and I would take no offense at being called a "mutt." .
I like being called a "mutt" as well. (I'm half white, half Asian). And yes, I'm partially British. 1/8 British (maybe 3/16 if Irish counts). More british than most "white" people I went to school with.

And for another example of how English sounding last names are misleading, consider two Jewish Americans: Woody Allen and Vermont senator Bernie Sanders.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:34 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,010,910 times
Quote:
Hear, hear. Enough already. there hasn't been a pure anything since our prehistoric ancestors stepped off the African plain.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:18 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And for another example of how English sounding last names are misleading, consider two Jewish Americans: Woody Allen and Vermont senator Bernie Sanders.
Or the reverse: Whoopi Goldberg.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Or the reverse: Whoopi Goldberg.
Who was born Caryn Johnson.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:35 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,646,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I like being called a "mutt" as well. (I'm half white, half Asian). And yes, I'm partially British. 1/8 British (maybe 3/16 if Irish counts). More british than most "white" people I went to school with.

One thing I've always found odd about English-sounding surnames in America is how there are so many people in the US with the name Johnson, apparently the second most common surname there but only tenth in the list over here in the country where the name originates. There must have been a huge amount of Anglicisation of non-English surnames in the US over the years as going by the 1990 census the top 17 surnames in America are all British ones, pretty staggering considering how long it's been since large-scale emigration from Britain to the US and how few of you have mostly British ancestry.

Room 101: Most common Names and Surnames (in USA)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.