Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 06:16 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,448,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAHOE GIRL View Post
i have my birth certif. My mothers maden name was a type o or she gave them the wrong info its her former husbands last name. this is in 64 so back then providing info is not like today.

my mom is NOT going to let me see her birth certif. lol all that stuff you mentioned pass ports etc is not public record i dont think she does not own property she rents and never owned any RE.

when i needed her marriage certif to get my irish citizenship i had to do it on a sneak and that too she had another maden name she made up. she was married to my dad in 69 and back then they did not check things out like they do today.

but thanks..
You may have to do the digging when she passes away. It's so sad, the overpowering racism at the thought of her having any African ancestry makes her go ballistic on her own daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 06:19 PM

620 posts, read 1,299,958 times
FYI, Black Irish has nothing to do with what your mother means. It has to do with Irish people of olive complexion, with dark hair and dark eyes. Since the modern day Irish people are the product of Iberian, Celtic, Viking, Welsh, and Norman immigration waves, their "looks" are varied.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:21 PM

295 posts, read 554,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post
FYI, Black Irish has nothing to do with what your mother means. It has to do with Irish people of olive complexion, with dark hair and dark eyes. Since the modern day Irish people are the product of Iberian, Celtic, Viking, Welsh, and Norman immigration waves, their "looks" are varied.

yup xo my mom is ignorant about this.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:20 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
I hate to suggest this, but I suspect that your mother has told too many lies about herself and your father, that she simply is scared silly that you might find out the truth. No one likes to be caught in a falsehood. And now that she has told to to stop, she is not about to give in and say it's OK.

Let it go.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I hate to suggest this, but I suspect that your mother has told too many lies about herself and your father, that she simply is scared silly that you might find out the truth. No one likes to be caught in a falsehood. And now that she has told to to stop, she is not about to give in and say it's OK.

Let it go.
i agree with most of what you have to say.

I have let it go. I was just sharing a situation that happened to me when i tired in the past. I have not seen my mom in almost 6 yrs sept 06 to be exact. I do call her out of respect but its always turns into a fight and i do not give in i say there is someone at the door or just hang up. lastly as for letting go i lost the interest in finding out about her family for the moemnt maybe one day I will re-consider. I was happy to find out about my dads side and it gave me the oppertunity to gain my dual citizenship.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:55 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
There are a lot of public documents that you can look into and get the information you're looking for. Start with getting your birth certificate and see if her maiden name appears on it or your mothers birth certificate, it should have her mothers name on it. Look at birth certificates, passports, visas, any certificates you think your mother has filed, ppty tax records etal.

For the record, if you are directly related to anyone deceased, you can get the original Social Security application: it has parent's names. Now, your mother is alive, so it won't help you there.... but what about a grandparent? If you know any names, you can try it.

You can get your mother's maiden name off a marriage license -- except you said she has many kids, multiple fathers. Was she married to your father? Try it. She also may have a name on a death certificate of another family member if she gave the info to the authorities. (Some states, they put a woman down using both maiden and married names if she gives info on a husband)

Where was she born? Church baptism record? Church records?

Not even the 1940 census will help you if she is in her 60s (She'd need to be born before 1940). What about grandparents who were born then?

Ask the siblings ( hers and all of yours) what they know.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
For the record, if you are directly related to anyone deceased, you can get the original Social Security application: it has parent's names. Now, your mother is alive, so it won't help you there.... but what about a grandparent? If you know any names, you can try it.

You can get your mother's maiden name off a marriage license -- except you said she has many kids, multiple fathers. Was she married to your father? Try it. She also may have a name on a death certificate of another family member if she gave the info to the authorities. (Some states, they put a woman down using both maiden and married names if she gives info on a husband)

Where was she born? Church baptism record? Church records?

Not even the 1940 census will help you if she is in her 60s (She'd need to be born before 1940). What about grandparents who were born then?

Ask the siblings ( hers and all of yours) what they know.
She did not have a SS# btw she died in 69 and not sure when SS started but many women back then did not have SS# she did work but it was off the books as the super/building manager of the building she lived in in NYC.

It was my Gm who had many kids from different fathers and never married total of 6 or 8 .

My mom on the other had married my dad when i was 5 also in 69 and back then they did not check out maiden names she used the name of her other daughters father who she was not married to

. My mom was born in NYC as for her baptm or church records there are none that i can obtain with out her permission. My mom was born in 1936 and I think her mom was born in umm 1906 not sure. I asked my sister and she is clueless and afraid of my mother.

my moms brothers and sister...... they are VERY VERY old in there 80s an late 70s and my mom disowned them since some of them look PR and I have tried to reach out to a few of them in the 70's 80's and they really dont know who I am fact some never new I was born. SO i feell a bit odd asking questions but i have to a few and they told me that I should be asking my mom for that info this was back in 82. Once one of them called my mom and told her,I contacted her about info. my mom went PSYCHO on me and wooped me so bad i still have a scar under my nose this was when i was a teenager doing a family tree for school in 82. My dad back then told me to stop bothering her with her personal family life.

I don't want to ask her again or upset her so I gave up for the time being unless one day i find interest in it again.

Also my mom got into a very bad figght with her mom and that was how she died of a heart attack so maybe that is also why she does not want me looking into her mothers life.

not to sound rude but unlike my dads side i got dual citizenship as for my moms side seems like there is never anything positive and maybe its just not worth the effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy