Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 08:00 PM

118 posts, read 335,919 times

Advertisements

I love this guy's blog - here you go:

DEAR FILIPINOS,

STOP CLAIMING THAT YOU'RE SPANISH

I am Randy's Existential Trip.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:02 PM

This is a great blog:

I am Randy's Existential Trip.

Dear Filipinos,

Stop Claiming that You're Spanish!
You (probably) aren't.

Mood: Venting. Perhaps a bit ranting.

It happened again. I met a Filipino guy more Asian looking than I am, claim that he was Spanish.

Uhhmm. No. I wouldn't bet on it.

I am sick and tired of Filipinos claiming this all because they have a Hispanic name. I was about to write a rant - which I justify not just as mere venting, but also a public service announcement - but I realized I've done this a long time ago.

As such, here's a modified version of a presentation I did for a class I had during the Winter of 2010 (Dr. Margo Husby's GNST 500) . This is ripped, truncated, and modified from what I handed to be marked.

Boldened sections can serve as cliff notes. The first person (I, We, Us) is used for both my Filipino lineage, and my Canadian identity - as much as possible I have made this distinct. Yes, the writing is sloppy for an essay, because it isn't one - as I said, it's fleshed out notes from a presentation/speech I did on the 6th of March 2010. The audience? Non Filipinos.

Almost every Philippine born Filipino I have met claims to be a product of the intermarriage between Spanish colonial officers and Indigenous Filipinos. That they are Spain's descendants. That they have Mestizo Or mixed Heritage. First evidence they have is the name. Indeed, such Spanish names feature prominently in my own history. In my Dad's side the family names of Fernando, Diaz, and Perez all stand out. Whilst in my Mother's side Rubio, Bello, Bueno, and Manzano take prominence.

But, the reasoning that these Hispanic names must mean a Spanish heritage is flawed! Mating was not a prerequisite to adopt the Spanish name - merely converting to Christianity and swearing allegiance to Spain was enough.

As a second piece of evidence, Filipinos might mention that their parents, and their grandparents, and great grandparents, and so on and so forth, all their known ancestors were landowners – part of the propertied class with vast tracts of land. This is also true for both my Father’s and Mother’s side. They come from completely different regions – having only met in University - but they share that in common.

But again, this is not a surefire way of saying I have some Spanish in me because historically, in administering the colonial empire, the colonists usually would favour certain local leaders to expedite the process. I mean, why reinvent the wheel? Why dismantle whatever local fiefdom or kingdom is there when you could just make their leaders swear allegiance to Spain? It is just as likely that my grandparents from both sides are the descendants of a local tribal leader, as much as they could be a Spanish Colonial Officer or some other Spanish settler. This same logic, applied to every Filipino who claims to be part Spanish, compels me to call bull**** on such claims.

Most importantly, and the main basis for my doubt, is the fact that: It is very trendy in the Philippines to say that you have some European in you, that you are a product of the Spanish Colonial Era.

Simply put, it’s Filipinos being racist. We Filipinos call it “The Colonial Mentality” – that everything foreign, Western, from the Global North (to borrow a Development Studies word) is always better.

In fact, such thinking is so pervasive, that on occasion, the cultures of surviving indigenous tribes are disdained, labeled as primitive and backwards, while on the other hand, it is very cool to claim that your ancestors were Spanish.

Even today, the existing Philippine standards of beauty are still more aligned with light skinned, European features. This is reflected in who gets to be a celebrity, a star: They tend have direct Caucasian ancestry – though for the most part, a lot of them nowadays are actually repatriated children of the Filipino Diaspora – people with actual Caucasian Ancestry. Don't believe me? Just do a search, watch Filipino shows available online, check out who does modeling in the Philippines. They are very white. The short of it is that Filipinos simply LOVE white people. I would even go so far as to say that they want to be white! Check out the skin whitening products available in the Philippines. Check out Manny Pacquiao's wife and her nose job.

And no, dear white people of the audience, I am not trying to make you feel guilty. The privilege that Filipinos give to your features is in no way a slight against you; it is not your direct individual fault that this is the case. If anything, I'm blaming Filipinos with that so called "Colonial Mentality" for thinking this way - they are after all, elevating European/White features above all as the gold standard, well after Colonial control has long vanished.

Still, I cannot put enough emphasis on this: It is very cool in the Philippines to say that you have Spanish Ancestry. In the Filipino context, it is a boast, plain and simple

If you have Filipino friends, you probably have heard of similar claims.

Now, it could very well be that they DO have Spanish grandparents.

But truthfully, unless they have unambiguous proof, as in they actually have a relative that was part of the Colonial administration, CHANCES ARE, IT IS AN OUTRIGHT FANTASY.

In a way, Filipinos who do such a thing are also in effect identifying themselves with power and status. Perhaps not so prevalent anymore, but the power base and the elite of the Spanish era definitely had mixed ancestry. In effect they are saying: “Look, I had powerful and influential ancestors!”

However, the Philippines is not Latin America. Such extensive mixing did not happen.

Evidence - Genetic Evidence - suggests that only about 1% to 4% of Filipinos have varying degrees of European Heritage from the Patrilineal Lineage, or the Father’s Side. It’s a very tiny minority! It’s not like Honduras where the majority are actual mixed race people, or “Mestizos” in the Spanish vernacular.

I say again: unless they have unambiguous proof, chances of a Filipino claiming to be a Mestizo is an outright fantasy. That’s only 1 in 100 to 1 in 25.

To put these chances into perspective, think of all the Filipinos you've met: If 25 of them say they are certain they have Spanish ancestry, then 24 are lying, deluded, or just uninformed.

That's a lot of lying, deluded, or uninformed Filipinos! And that's using the higher estimates. 1% means that out of 100 Filipinos laying claim to some Spanish blood, 99 are liars, delusional, or simply mistaken.

Now, I am critical, because I can be. I am westernized enough to be able to question such claims and ultimately criticize this Filipino Colonial Fetishism – yet Filipino enough that I can get away with it. If you are white, you may not get off as easily. If you want to offend a Filipino, when they go “my Grandparents were Spanish” - despite not looking the part by having the prototypical South East Asian features - you only have to tell them “Oh I’m sorry, I just don’t see it!”. I guarantee that you will certainly lose a friend.

Although it may seem that I am painting a bad picture of Filipinos, do not forget, that we - and I am now speaking as a Canadian and a westerner - we fetishize and positively “Other” distant cultures too – and I’m not just talking about just being open minded, friendly and welcoming. I mean, we fetishize cultures.

Just check out "Stuff White People like".

It’s a very entertaining cultural observation of left leaning, democratically inclined, and globally conscious westerners – be they Caucasian or not. Sometimes it can get a little too biting, but Professor Jared Diamond agrees!

In his work "Guns Germs and Steel", he cautions against Fetishism because it can be dangerous. Especially when expressed in a manner that makes it sound like as though it’s just a few degrees shy of using ‘the noble savage’ label, which really is an underhanded compliment. I emphasize this because too often have I heard “Northern” born people say: Filipinos are so nice.

Correction: The Filipinos you’ve met are nice.

I guarantee you that we – Filipinos – are just as diverse as any other population in that there will be people who are nice, and those who are *ahem* not so nice.

But I digress.

All I’m saying is that, European Canadians do this fetishizing too! Positive kind, but fetishism nonetheless. Not just in a manner of elevating the indigenous cultures of elsewhere mind you, but also of laying claim to their own lineages. How many Fifth or Fourth Generation Canadians, who although practice none of their heritage, still make blatant claims of being German, Irish, Scot, Polish… wherever. How many people claim these exotic lineages, yet practice none or very little of the culture?

Same deal. Because it’s so cool to be from far and wide, we go and say, we’re from elsewhere.

Now, here’s the thing where European North Americans have it good: You have records. Pop on to Ancestry.com and bam! Even if you date back to when the first colonizers/settlers, there’s no denying, you have such a lineage.

Filipinos on the other hand, have no proof.

Not only are Philippine records unreliable, they tend to be non existent.Two nearly back to back revolutions late 1800's and early 1900's, plus a World War kinda does that to public records I guess. And in a country terrible for keeping records at that.

And this is very painful because I’m the kind of person who doesn’t want to subscribe to a fantasy, so I had to have proof. I don’t want to say like so many Filipinos “Oh, I have Spanish Ancestors” without any shred of proof, especially when subscribing to such an idea would situate me in a position of believed superiority. Note the distinction: believed and not factual – I’m not saying a Spanish ancestry is superior – merely that, Filipinos THINK it to be superior.

Ok... ok. I admit that I may have done that in the past - I may have stated that I too had Spanish ancestry. But hey, living in the Philippines where such a claim was common, it's hard not to claim solidarity with something that will make you instantly cool.

..(large portion that is concerned only with the presentation cut out)...

Enter the National Geographic’s Genographic Project.

It takes so long to explain such an extensive program, so you guys will have to do some self research and reading.

...(also omitted)...

Anywho, the gist of it is, you purchase a kit, you take a DNA sample through epithelial cells inside your cheek using a cheek swab, and then you send it back. The vials have a specific barcode that you can use to track progress of the analysis online.

You can either choose the Y Chromosome Analysis, which would determine your patrilineal line – your Father’s father’s father’s father’s father’s father’s, FATHER and so on and so forth into Africa - or your Mitochondrial DNA, which will determine your matrilineal line – Mother’s mother’s mother’s mother’s mother’s MOTHER and so on and so forth, into Africa.

Ultimately, I chose the Y chromosome Analysis – my Father’s lineage. I did this, not because of any favouritism in my part, but because therein lies a sort of Family mystery. Unlike some Filipino names that are either clearly Spanish – Fernando, Perez, Diaz from my Father’s side like I mentioned; or Rubio, Bello, Bueno, Manzano from my Mother’s side. It also isn’t some native indigenous word that translates to something else like Makisig which means “Strong” or “Powerful” and Catacutan which means “To be feared” – nothing as awesome as these.

It’s not even drawing from something more recent influences like Japanese, Korean, English/American, French. So if my last name is not a native indigenous word, it isn't a Spanish name as far as I know, and certainly not English or anything else, then what the hell is it? I have a sneaking suspicion that it is Hispanized Chinese.

Certainly, this is the case with some famous Filipino names like Cojuangco. Due to records, they have absolute certainty that they had Chinese Ancestry. Perhaps back in the day, there was one Kho Huan Ko, who landed in the Philippines, converted to Christianity, and either a transcribing error by mistake or by design, voila! He became Mr. Cojuanco with a Christian first name. Perhaps...

Similarly, my Dad's last name, Gulinao, has three syllables that can be broken down into three possible Chinese names. Go Li Nao. Could this be the case?

If my Dad's lineage is Haplogroup O or B, then my father's lineage is Asian, and that might lend some credence to my hunch.

Anyone care to hazard a guess?

Genographic update | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Now, no discussion of the Genographic project is complete without some criticism.

If you look at the family tree, it would seem that the Asian story is still underrepresented.

In Europe, in the Nordic countries in particular - a place where you'd think it to be a very homogeneous, they've traced two Haplogroups. Asia on the other hand only has two known Haplogroups so far. Does that mean Asians really are that homogeneous? Or is the knowledge base still incomplete? Whatever the case, this certainly wouldn't answer my other questions such as, what kind of Asian am I, to be exact? The strategic location of Philippines still leaves many options. Was he Taiwanese? Indonesian? Malaysian? My Genetic trail stops 35,000 years ago. When did HE move? During the last ice age? Or during the more recent Philippine-China Trade? By “recent” I mean anywhere during the last 300 years. The results they give cannot answer where or how, or when exactly that one ancestor of mine arrived in what is now the Philippines.

Most importantly, it gives no actual answer to my name. I'm still just speculating as to the origins of the "Gulinao" name: Be it transcription error that originally was Guliano, Giuliani, Giuliano, Galeano, etc; Or, as I mentioned, Hispanized Chinese.

Finally, the choice of Y Chromosome or Mitochondrial DNA testing only yields ONE line - a choice between your father's father's father's father's father... and so on and so forth into Africa. Or your mother's mother's mother's mother's mother... and so on and so forth into Africa . It doesn't take into account all the other lineages that eventually converge into me. I suppose I could test some relatives to test my father's mother, or my father's mother's father, but that would get costly real quick.

Anyway, when I told my Dad of the results, I discerned that he would have been happier if the result had said Spanish, instead of Chinese. But being a man of science, he probably was still more interested than slightly disappointed. For him, who has a masters in Animal Sciences, specifically in Animal Breeding, such scientific results are very fascinating. When I let him read the first draft of this speech, he also said, "Hah! You go and tell the world, Son. Go ahead and shut up those flatnosed, stubby legged, dark Filipinos who claim to be something they aren't!" he said.

Admittedly, I'm taking liberties at what he exactly said. I assure you however that it was that brutally frank - I do take after him. Now, there is nothing wrong with being flatnosed, stubby legged, or dark. And my Dad certainly does not disdain such features - you are what you are. But if you are claiming to be something are not, then you probably need to be put in your place. This is not a quarrel against one's actual lineage, but rather a beef against false logic, pretentiousness, and what I would term as self hating racism.

In fact, if you're a Pinay, with such features, Rejoice! ROWR! White boys will be all over you! I'm told they find it "cute".

The point however is that, it's very disconcerting for me and my Dad - self proclaimed men of reason - to hear Pinoys and Pinays lay claim to some imagined Spanish heritage.
...(large portion concerned only with the presentation is hacked out)...

And just to show you how reasonable I am, allow me to now discount my own findings (or more appropriately: The findings of Nat Geo's Genographic Project)

The more I thought about actually proving my own patrilineal line, the less it mattered. The novelty of knowing, did not really fade, but I found less and less utility for it.

Especially since I could really only use it in making this scathing cultural observation against Filipinos - which is something I already do on a daily basis, what with my self deprecating humour.

Most importantly, even though one segment of my genetic bloodline says Han Chinese, I don’t feel that way. I was born into - and spent the first 15 years of my life - immersed in the Filipino culture. There is no trace of anything Chinese in my family, save for what Filipinos in general have already assimilated from Chinese culture - which isn't saying much because Filipinos love to take a little something from every other culture they sample. And that means a mish mash of everything. As most Filipino tour guides say in describing what is Filipino Culture: "... born in South East Asia; traded with the Chinese prior to western influence; spent 300 years under Spain; about 50 years under the Americans; 3 under the Japanese; and nowadays will jump in bed with just about anyone!"
And that, dear Filipinos, in my opinion, is Filipino identity.

It isn't in your blood, it's in how you think.

But even if you will it, it won't happen. So my dear Filipinos, please stop claiming you have Spanish blood, since you - we - probably don't.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Annotated Literary References:

Arendt, Hannah (1963) Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil. New York, NY: Viking Press.
Hannah Arendt’s dissection of Eichmann’s personality and in a sense an analysis of the social mechanisms which allowed the Holocaust to occur.

Cristian Capelli, James F. Wilson, Martin Richards, Michael P. H. Stumpf, Fiona Gratrix, Stephen Oppenheimer, Peter Underhill, Vincenzo L. Pascali, Tsang-Ming Ko, and David B. Goldstein (2001) A Predominantly Indigenous Paternal Heritage for the Austronesian-Speaking Peoples of Insular Southeast Asia and Oceania. Stanford Human Population Genetics Laboratory. Accessed 12 March 2010 http://hpgl.stanford.edu/publication...1_v68_p432.pdf

Diamond, Jared (1997) Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies. New York, NY: Norton
The famous book by Professor Jared Diamond where he scientifically and definitively dispels any racist interpretation of genetics, human migration, and civilization.

Dorai, Francis & Bell, Brian (2005) Insight Guides: Philippines. Singapore: Insight Print Services.
A superb tourist guide which gives decent background on Philippine History, the Philippines’ present culture as well as its social mores.

Frankl, Viktor (2000) Man’s Search for Ultimate Meaning. Cambridge, Mass: Perseus Publishing

Masson, Anne (Producer), & Mehta, Deepa. (Director). (1998). Earth: 1947 [Motion picture]. Canada/India: Zeitgeist Films.
A dramatization of the partition of India in 1947. This film succintly illustrates how even an ethnically close group of people can turn against each other when their cultural differences and disagreements are given emphasis – even if they had been close friends and neighbours before.

Rizal, Jose. (1996). Noli Me Tangere. (Translation by Maria Soledad Lacson-Locsin). Makati City, Philippines: The Bookmark Inc. (Original work published 1887).
Written by the Philippine National Hero, Jose Rizal, it is not only considered to be a landmark revolutionary literature with its biting social commentary, but also an accurate depiction and novelization of Philippine social mores during the height of the Spanish Colonial era. To this day, it has great relevance; to understand this book is to understand the Filipino psyche.

Sartre, Jean Paul. (1946). Humanism of Existentialism. In R. T. Matthews, & F. Dewitt Platt (Eds.), Readings in the Western Humanities (pp. 311-315). New York: McGraw Hill.

Weiner, Matt (producer) (2008) Mad Men Season 2 [Motion Picture Collection] USA: AMC Films

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Addendum:

Another good book, which I unfortunately had not yet come across when doing this presentation nearly 2 years ago is Rafael Vicente's "WHITE LOVE and other events in Filipino History".

Google Preview here: White Love: And Other Events in Filipino History - Vicente L. Rafael - Google Books

POSTED BY STRAYDOG AT 12:56 AM
15 COMMENTS:

yen said...
Hahaha! I love this! Never will I attribute even a percentage of my bloodline to being Spanish especially given the color of my skin. Kayumanggi and Pinoy and proud of it! Quite an interesting post.

8:50 PM
Jennifer's Thoughts... said...
I thought this was an interesting post. I agree with what you have to say even though there are probably a lot of people who do not agree. My husband is filipino and always tells people he is filipino, spanish & chinese because a lot of people don't understand why he has a spanish last name if he is not latino. I don't know it's really confusing to me what happened with the phillipines while under Spain Rule. But I do understand that although Spain did rule the phillipines they did not really dilute your guys blood-line where as they did in what is now Latin America because the Native Indians were very resistent to Converting and also did embrace the Spanish on their land. Which in turn the Spaniards raped and murdered a lot of Native Indians which is why almost every country in latin America is mixed blood of spanish & Indian or Spanish, Indian& african blood. I think filipinos should be proud and embrace the fact that they do not have Spanish blood and have their country back. It's kind of crazy to be proud to have a blood-line of people who came and just invaded your country and have a history of being murderers and rapists to people in other countries. I understand the facsination asians have with european or western features but I wouldn't be proud to claim a country that robbed my country of it's religion and land and than sold the country. It would be one thing if Spain and Hispanic/Latino community claimed filipinos as there own but they don't & it doesn't matter.. I really think filipinos should be proud to be filipino & unless they have a parent that is actually of Spanish or latin descent directly. They Just should claim.. what they are & be proud of that. Great Blog & you're a great writer.

1:46 PM
Jennifer's Thoughts... said...
I love your blog & think that you are a great writer. This is a REALLY big problem with filipinos in Hawaii.. they want to consider themselves hispanic & asian or say that they are filipino & spanish because of their last names & the Spanish rule over the phillipines. I'm not Filipino.. but I'm married to a Filipino man & there is so much confusion over his last name and what he is because he does not look like typical asian but he doesn't really resemble a latino except someone from the Dominican Republic or Nicaragua or something. But He doesn't want to get into a whole discussion about it and he will usually tell people that is Filipino, Spanish & Chinese. That's also what his mom considers herself-- but I don't think that it's accurate. And I would always tell him.. you're not Spanish unless you know for sure there is someone in your family that has spanish ancestry.. like your mom, dad or grandparents. I been researching for a while why filipinos are not considered hispanic or latino and told him & now I know too. Due to the 'blood' & also Spanish not being spoken as a native tongue. It's crazy cause a lot of people from Latin American Countries other than Spain.. do not call themselves Spanish they claim the country that they are and a lot are not thrilled to have a spanish bloodline due to the history and the rape of their women and pillage of their culture. I understand filipinos just like other asians love european & western culture and esp because Spain was in control of phillipines and definitely seemed to treat filipinos a lot better than they did the Native Indians of what is now Latin America. Filipinos should be proud they have their identity back for the most part and their country & just claim Filipino which is what they are unless they have parents who are of spanish descent or grandparents. They actually got a way better deal.. than the people who are deemed hispanic/latino today.. because their blood was mixed in a very terrible way & have to identify with the latin culture with only small traces of their actual heritage because it was stripped from them.

2:00 PM
Spongebob Club! said...
Ummm wtf are you talking about? You get over yourself and think about your nation's business! You are not a Filipino that's why you are saying things about that to us - YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS BECAUSE IT'S NOT YOUR BUSINESS.
Back in the medivial period, there was a time the Spanish people wants to have a bigger colony so they would fight other countries and try to get them on their colony so they would have a bigger colonial -
The Philippines - the place where all Filipinos used to speak Spanish and Latin / the Filipinos in old days used to have darker brown skin and kinky hair but now 78% of them our now mestizos and have Spanish surnames.
Just like me --- my father's last name is Villena(Spanish grandfather) and my mother's is - Rey which gives me a descent/blood Spanish or Spanish.

My skin is white and when I was a baby, people thought I was adopted because I have bluish grey eyes and have really white skin.

11:46 PM
StrayDog said...
Spongebob Club,

I think you didn't read the whole post.

6:26 AM
itzzzchloe said...
Hahaha it cracks me up when you say "a 'hilaw na pilosopo"... I always do enjoy filipino "Pinoy" jokes. Anyways, i like how you pointed out "Simply put, it’s Filipinos being racist. We Filipinos call it “The Colonial Mentality” – that everything foreign, Western, from the Global North (to borrow a Development Studies word) is always better." that is definitely true to most Filipinos, especially when they are already in a Foreign country. I have an uncle who became an australian citizen, and every time he gets asked what nationality he got, he never say that he is filipino.

3:34 AM
StrayDog said...
chloe,

I dunno... what your Uncle does (saying he's Australian when asked of his Nationality) is not bad in my books. It is true after all, isn't it?

For me, there is a distinction between Nationality and Ethnicity.

I too say Canadian when asked of Nationality because it's true; Nationality means citizenship. And as a loyal Canadian - matured to adulthood in here, joined the Canadian Armed forces, did post secondary institution, and regularly vote and participate in most civic events.... well, I'll have to say, I am Canadian. No ifs and or buts.

Sometimes I might feel the need to tack on "But I was born in the Philippines" or "My ancestry is from the Philippines" in respect of a past I spent in the Philippines, and this heritage/ethnicity I have - a past I cannot forget, and an ethnicity I can't ignore.

Still, if we're talking loyalties: Whilst I do have the utmost respect and loyalty to my heritage, if we're talking dying and fighting for a country - in that theoretical world of a world war, it would have to be Canada. That is indeed the reason why I had no qualms doing a bit of time in the Canadian Army, as I mentioned.

It is home to me by now and it has been good to me.

R.

9:13 AM
itzzzchloe said...
R, I like it when you said " Whilst I do have the utmost respect and loyalty to my heritage"... it's good to know Filipinos who never forget where they came from. Enjoyed reading your blogs.

6:50 AM
David said...
I hate this too. Many Filipinos were/are misinformed about their roots. Such discourse still confuses our people nowadays. I would disagree that it rooted from colonial mentality. Our pre-Hispanic ancestors(Malay brown or lighter stock) were already having racial issues towards the Aetas, the negritos which is still an issue among our Malay & Indonesian neighbors. What colonialism did, it magnified such phenomena. Although we did experience such events in Hispanoamérica, it never affected the whole population because we were diverse, we were scattered and divided according to beliefs, ethnic supremacy and language. Unlike the Aztecs, Mayans, Incas; they lived in organized metropolis with populations reaching from thousands to millions making annihilation much easier for the conquistadors in the form of.. small pox and other European diseases. There is a confusion of 'race' and 'culture.' Filipinos often overlap the dichotomy. Maybe because they are unable to explain why they carry Hispanic names, have Asian physical attributes, and speak a native language seasoned with Spanish words. What is definite is that we both have pre-Hispanic and Hispanic heritage like mexicanos, peruanos, venezolanos, chilenos, nicaraguenses do. These peoples wondered what has become to the Filipinos. Why so dissociated from their Hispanic heritage? OR for some, why dissociated from their pre-Hispanic heritage? We should love both. We should love the Singkil and the Cariñosa. It made us different among our Asian neighbors. 'Hispanicity' and 'Spanish' is often used interchangeably. It may be derived from the latter but these are 2 different things and typical Filipinos don't know this. Spanish is basically European while Hispanicity isn't. Hispanicity is a mixture of native, indigenous with Spanish. The indigenous portion of our Hispanicity is derived from Malay/Austronesian & Chinese cultures while the West Indies has pre-Columbian (Aztec, Inca, Mayan etc.) and African. Anyway a study is currently underway by Universidad Complutense de Madrid (our national hero's Alma Mater)about the Filipinos' genetic stock. The initial results was presented in Manila last month and it yielded no trace of European markers.. yet. So may pag-asa pa ang mga feeling kastila.. Hahaha. Ours wasn't pure. MESTIZAJE already happened before the Spaniards came. There is no such thing as a Filipino race. This a proof that people were never isolated. I'm Filipino and that's it. I don't have 'la sangre mestiza.' Just 'Filipino' fits for me.

10:34 PM
David said...
Hating that Fil-Hispanic heritage would make our unique, rich cultural historiography incomplete that also molded us to become what we are today. La Hispanidad—the 4 LAs: la cultura, la historia, la religión & la lengua Although Spanish ceased to be the co-official language in 1973 and ceased to be spoken in mainstream Filipino society it doesn't nullify our strong Hispanic heritage. We still got cultura, historia & religión though. =)

11:24 PM
StrayDog said...
Thanks for the comment David!

9:13 AM
Hawk said...
Your blog post, while well thought out, fails to consider a few things.

1) Even within Latin America, there are countries with just as little Spanish mixing as the Philippines (I'm thinking of Bolivia and El Salvador). Do you also tell Salvadorans and Bolivians that they are not Spanish?

2) This doesn't even consider some countries in the Caribbean, which are also Spanish but the people definitely aren't as mixed as some other countries (Dominican Republic and Trinidad & Tobago come to mind). Many people do make similar arguments as your about people from those countries, but that doesn't make them right.

It's not called Latin America because of how Spaniard it is....it's because of the culture, as well as the language (and Tagalog has plenty of Spanish loan-words). If we were judging things based on how Spaniard places are, then only Spain should call itself Spanish, or maybe somewhere with a lot of European heritage like Columbia.

My advice - don't deny your culture & heritage. Embrace the Philippines' unique place in the world. There's not really any other place like it (although Guam has a lot in common with it).

2:25 PM
StrayDog said...
Hawk,

I thank you for your post:

-In response to point #1

Not knowing any El Savadorians (?? is that how they're called?) nor Bolivians, I doubt I will ever encounter this dilemma.

However, it has been my experience, that Latin Americans name the country they are from first and foremost. Very few tack on the place of their colonial origins unless they were very recent and VERY CERTAIN (ie. First or Second Generation migrants)- or an obvious visible minority/ethno cultural group (ie. The Japanese in Peru, Germans in Argentina and Rural Brazil, the children of expatriates everywhere etc.etc.).

I emphasize "Very Certain" because that has been the point of this post all along. Only Filipinos say "I'm Spanish" with outright certainty despite not having direct proof, and if they do, is it really recent enough to matter?

In the end - and I reiterate myself - I don't care so much for what people consider themselves as much I care for the racist implications of such boasts/claims coming from Filipinos. Read between the lines and the people who do this are privileging Western blood and heritage over the Asian one.

-in response to point #2.

I must confess once again, that despite living in multicultural Canada, I don't have much direct encounters with individuals from the Caribbean.

I have however attended many a Caribbean cultural event here in Calgary, and yes, they do seem to be proud of their African Heritage despite not having set foot in the continent and despite not having their lineage traceable by any more than a few generations.

In fact, that is exactly another point I wish to make and what makes the black populations of the Caribbean all the more commendable is that they fully embrace the African side of their creole heritage. The same, unfortunately cannot be said of Filipinos who so readily proclaim "I'm Spanish".

Look, your advice? Not really needed. I'm not one of those deniers of Philippine history nor am I a Spanish hater. I am however, a hater of ill logic, scant evidence, and racism - overt, implied, or otherwise.

Sincerely,

Randy

12:13 PM
srtbaste said...
Lol. I would say most people would say they have "part-Spanish" ancestry because they actually do. Some points you should consider:

1 - "part-Spanish" doesn't mean the ultra-white like the Ayalas of PH society. You're also talking about Latin American Mestizos (an un-accounted for statistic) that are mixed themselves. There is a reason why Filipinos are often mistaken for Mexicans in the United States.

2 - Take note that Spain itself is mixed race with Northerners more White and Southerners (Andalucia) more Arab looking.

3 - Don't tell me you believe that ultra racist - Malay Race idea. Check the faces of your facebook friends. :P

4 - Can you remember your Genetics class? Dominant and Recessive genes. It will help you understand it more.

10:37 AM
StrayDog said...
I have considered your points well before you posted this reply. Just to get it out of my system: There seems to be a suggestion in your part that I have not considered every twist and turn of the subject.

I have.

A lot.

That's why my original post was very long. That's why it cites many resources, and that's why there's not really much for me to say in reply but "read it again if you must" and find anything that says anything contrary to what you said.

Responses to #1. and #4.

The speech/original post originated from my participation with the National Geographic, Genographic Project. A lesson in Genetics is what I'm trying to give here. That you're suggesting that I know little of it is frankly, puzzling - did you even read the post? Do you even know of the Genographic project and what it's all about? This is not your Highschool "Gregor Mendel" growing plants family tree. This is lab tested genetics.

As well, I don't necessarily have a beef when people say "Part" Spanish. When they say that, I give them the benefit of the doubt. Living in Canada, 1 out of 5 people I know are halfies of all sorts. In the Philippines, I might cringe, but I shrug it off. But when they say "I'm Spanish!", no disclaimer nothing, just straight up "I'm Spanish". Well...

Admittedly, I did slam people who don't look the part claiming to be Spanish. However, that is a lesser issue than proof. If all the proof you have is a name and a hunch. Then you shouldn't be making bets on that assumed Spanish heritage.

Response to #3.

a.) On the "Ultra Racist Malay Idea". National Genographic Project makes no mention of Malay race and neither do I. Don't assume.

b.) I live in Canada. My Facebook friends are from all ethnic backgrounds. This, once again, is the reason why I had to make that project/this post: You won't believe how foolish Filipinos sound when they say they're Spanish in the way that I have ranted against in here. If it's beyond 3 generations and you have no proof, it doesn't matter because there are interracial children being born here all the time. More importantly, the way Filipinos do it - how it is largely a brag, privileging western heritage, thinking that "being white is better", etc. - is quite deplorable around these here parts. It is internalized self hating racism for all intents and purposes.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:11 PM

This is a small snapshot of what people think of (the Hispanic culture) the Spanish Language:

From YAHOO ANSWERS ~

Q-U-E-S-T-I-O-N:

Has the Spanish language itself acquired a poor status in the US because of illegal aliens?

Versus other languages like German, French or Russian, which enjoy more prestige than Spanish. I've noticed little children don't want to learn Spanish. The same goes for some adults. Is it because they associate the Spanish language with poor people and cheap labor?
ranger_c...

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

Rod
The Mexican version of Spanish(?) is associated with crime, drugs, prostitution, etc. brought by illegal aliens. That is why it is considered offensive and vulgar. So, no it's not exactly the language of choice.

What Mexicans speak is not true Castilian (Castellano) Spanish. It is a mix of Spanish, English, and several American Indian languages. In Texas, we call it Tex-Mex. Most cultured Spanish speakers find Tex-Mex very offensive. I have a neighbor from who is Spanish (from Spain), and he actually winces when he hears Tex-Mex.
Edited 1 year ago Report Abuse
2 people rated this as good

Adr
Yes, unfortunately that's the mentality from ignorant people who have never studied Spanish (or two or three years only), its richness and internal complexity. They only see poor inmigrants who speak a strange, useless and inferior language.

Hoekom Jy My Haat
The only Spanish decent Americans need to learn is just enough to give instructions to the help: Maids, gardeners, things like that.

Spanish is the language of servants, gang members and illegal aliens.
1 year ago Report Abuse
1 person rated this as good
Discover Questions in Immigration

Why is diversity and multiculturalism encouraged in the USA, and Europe, but not in?
Immigration - usa dv lottery Program- green card question.?
Question of i 130 form, number 16 please! Immigration proceedings...?
How can an illegal get a greencard/citizenship?

Old 03-19-2013, 08:20 PM

Here's the Question Posed to Hispanics by the Hispanic Community -

NOTE: Filipinos aren't this (hispanic), and don't want to have anything to do with this (hispanic) culture. It is so far removed from southeast asian culture, and so far removed from american culture, and so far backed into its own cultural corner far beyond what any human being can comprehend (the violence and poverty) -

Here is a link to the article, and I've cut and pasted it below as well:

Why do most Hispanics stay poor?

Latino Opinion
A collection of Latino opinions by Ricardo A. López
Why do most Hispanics stay poor?
At our LinkedIn group discussion a member expressed his disagreement with my ealier post Latinos Are Too Focused on Material Success stating that “the numbers do not show it.” That is true. Interestingly, I just came across an article I wrote for Quirks Magazine, which was published in April, 1998. Eleven years later some of what I wrote there still applies. Here is a segment of the article pertaining to why Hispanics stay poor. For the whole article please go here.

The U.S. is the land of opportunity. Over the years, immigrants from all over the world have come to this country and managed to work hard to improve their economic situation. What is different about the Hispanic immigrants? To answer that question, you have to take into account the fact that the times have changed. Today ’s immigrants do not arrive here by breaking all ties with their homelands. While just a century ago people would take a long boat trip across the Atlantic to get to this country, today’s immigrants can move here overnight and go back to visit the following week. They never have to lose touch. From the airlines to the telephone to the television and even the Internet, new immigrants can keep in touch with their homeland.
Even in this country, the Hispanic community keeps in touch by creating its own home away from home. Hispanics have Spanish television, can read most product labels in Spanish, can easily purchase their favorite ethnic food at the local supermarket or bodega, and can socialize with others who speak their language and share their culture. This is indeed very different from the old melting pot culture where immigrants forced their children to forget their mother tongue and become part of the new culture. Hispanics place a high value on being able to maintain their customs, language, and culture. The U.S. freedom allows it, and it is indeed attractive. Yet, I argue that not “melting into the pot” creates a difficult situation that leads to lower income.

By insisting on being “different,” Latinos are promoting discrimination. When Puerto Ricans wear their flag on everything from their cars to their T-shirts, they are making a statement that says, “I am proud of my heritage,” but it is often read as “I am not part of this country.” That leads to a common reaction: “Well, get the heck out!” which is also known as discrimination. Discrimination often leads to a lower income. This is especially true of Hispanic communities that consist of individuals with minimal education and labor skills. These communities depend on the jobs provided by members of an outside community. The number of Hispanic businesses that provide job opportunities to their own community is extremely low, compared to other ethnic groups like Asian Americans. There are exceptions. One, of course, is the Cuban community in Miami, whose Hispanic-owned businesses hire four times as many people than Hispanic- owned businesses in New York City.

Besides discrimination, there are other factors that affect income. To keep their culture, Hispanics often move near other Hispanics in typical Latino neighborhoods. Some of these neighborhoods have deteriorated — victims of crime and drug problems. To complicate matters, public education systems in many Latino neighborhoods are overcrowded and underfinanced. As a result, Hispanic young people are not receiving an equal education. Since English is not the language of choice in most Hispanic neighborhoods, and the schools are not adequate, many Latinos are not proficient enough in English to obtain decent employment. What is worse, because Spanish is not taught in school, many Hispanic Americans grow up not knowing how to read and write in Spanish.

Despite my contention that Latinos would be better off financially if they tried to blend into the American culture, I don ’ t agree with that approach. Looking at the situation from an economic standpoint you must give value to the desire of Hispanics to keep their customs, language and culture. I argue that this value is so high that it justifies whatever negative effects may occur — discrimination, lower income, or even bad neighborhoods. Since the Hispanic population continues to grow at a higher rate than any other minority group, these problems will eventually disappear. Even today, Spanish culture is quickly becoming ingrained into the American culture. Tacos are now as popular as hot dogs and hamburgers in the typical American diet, and Spanish words are becoming part of the American language — ¿Comprende?

Old 03-19-2013, 08:27 PM

* Once Again, Filipinos do not want to be associated with Latinos or Hispanics - it's common sense i) look in the mirror ii) turn on the news to see why latinos / hispanics are perceived the way they are. Here is a link to an article, and I've cut and pasted the same article below:

From the Manhattan Institute, a Policy Institute:

Article | A New Latino Underclass

A New Latino Underclass
July 25, 2004

With gang violence up, social trends down, some fear immigration influx will overwhelm tradition of assimilation.

By Heather Mac Donald

Hispanic gang violence is spreading across the country, the sign of a new underclass in the making.

Hispanic youths, whether recent arrivals or birthright American citizens, are developing an underclass culture. Hispanic school dropout rates and teen birthrates are now the highest in the nation. Gang crime is exploding nationally - rising 50 percent from 1999 to 2002 - driven by the march of Hispanic immigration east and north across the country. Most worrisome, underclass indicators like crime and single parenthood do not improve over successive generations of Hispanics - they worsen.

Debate has recently heated up over whether Mexican immigration - unique in its scale and in other important ways - will defeat the American tradition of assimilation. The rise of underclass behavior among the progeny of Mexicans and other Central Americans must be part of that debate. There may be assimilation going on, but a significant portion of it is assimilation downward to the worst elements of American life.

To be sure, most Hispanics are hardworking, law-abiding residents; they have reclaimed squalid neighborhoods in South Central Los Angeles and elsewhere. Yet given the magnitude of present immigration levels, if only a portion of those from south of the border goes bad, the costs to society will be enormous.

David O'Connell, pastor of the church next door to the Soledad Enrichment Charter School, which is the vortex of LA's youth gang culture, has been fighting gangbanging for over a decade. He rues the "ferocious stuff" that is currently coming out of Central America, sounding weary and pessimistic. But "what's more frightening," he says, "is the disengagement from adults." Hispanic children feel that they have to deal with problems themselves, apart from their parents, according to Mr. O'Connell, and they "do so in violent ways." The adults, for their part, start to fear young people, including their own children.

The pull to a culture of violence among Hispanic children begins earlier and earlier, Mr. O'Connell says. Researchers and youth workers across the country confirm his observation. In Chicago, gangs start recruiting kids at age 9, according to criminologists studying policing and social trends in the Windy City. The Chicago Community Policing Evaluation Consortium concluded that gangs have become fully integrated into Hispanic youth culture; even children not in gangs emulate their attitudes, dress and self-presentation.

Even as it reaches down to ever-younger recruits, gang culture is growing more lethal. The unwritten code that moderated gang violence three or four decades ago has fallen away. "When I grew up," says Santa Ana native and gang investigator Kevin Ruiz, "there were rules of engagement: no shooting at churches or at home. Now, no one is immune."

The constant invasion of illegal aliens is worsening gang violence as well. And upward mobility to the suburbs doesn't necessarily break the allure of gang culture. An immigration agent reports that in the middle-class suburbs of southwest Miami, second- and third-generation Hispanic youths are perpetrating home invasions, robberies, battery, drug sales and rape. "This is beyond a regional problem. It is, in fact, a national problem," said FBI Assistant Director Michael Mason, head of the bureau's Washington field office.

Many cops and youth workers blame the increase in gang appeal on the disintegration of the Hispanic family. The trends are worsening, especially for U.S.-born Hispanics. Nationally, single-parent households constituted 25 percent of all Hispanic households with minor children in 1980; by 2000, the proportion had jumped to 34 percent. The trends in teen parenthood – the marker of underclass behavior - will almost certainly affect the crime and gang rate. Hispanics now outrank blacks for teen births.

In one respect, Central American immigrants break the mold of traditional American underclass behavior: They work. Even so, Mexican welfare receipt is twice as high as that of natives, in large part because Mexican-American incomes are so low, and remain low over successive generations.

On the final component of underclass behavior - school failure – Hispanics are in a class by themselves. No other group drops out in greater numbers. In 2000, nearly 30 percent of Hispanics between the ages of 16 and 24 were high school dropouts nationwide, compared with about 13 percent of blacks and about 7 percent of whites.

The constant inflow of barely literate recent Mexican arrivals unquestionably brings down Hispanic education levels. But later American-born generations don't brighten the picture much. Mexican-Americans are assimilating not to the national schooling average, observed the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas this June, but to the dramatically lower "Hispanic average." In educational outcomes, concluded the bank, "Ethnicity matters."

No one knows why this is so. Every parent I spoke to said that she wanted her children to do well in school and go to college. Yet the message is often not getting across. "Hispanic parents are the kind of parents that leave it to others," explains an unwed Salvadoran welfare mother in Santa Ana. "We don't get that involved."

Proponents of unregulated immigration simply ignore the growing underclass problem among later generations of Hispanics. When pressed, open-borders advocates dismiss worries about the Hispanic future with their favorite comparison between Mexicans and Italians.

The analogy goes like this: A century ago, Italian immigration anticipated the Mexican influx, above all in Italians' disregard for education. They dropped out of school in high numbers - yet they eventually prospered and joined the mainstream. Therefore, Mexicans will too.

But the analogy is flawed. To begin with, the magnitude of Mexican immigration renders all historical comparisons irrelevant, as Harvard historian Samuel Huntington argues. In 2000, Mexicans constituted nearly 30 percent of the foreign-born population in the U.S. But in 1910, Italians made up barely a seventh of the immigrant population. There was no chance that Italian would become the dominant language in any part of the country. By contrast, half of today's immigrants speak Spanish.

Equally important, the flow of newcomers came to an abrupt halt after World War I and did not resume until 1965. This long pause allowed the country ample opportunity to Americanize the foreign-born and their children. Today, no end is in sight to the migration from Mexico and its neighbors, which continually reinforces Mexican culture in American Hispanic communities and seems likely to do so for decades. Meanwhile, the Mexican government does everything it can to bind Mexican migrants psychologically to the home country, in order to safeguard the annual $12 billion flow of remittances.

There are many counterexamples that show a salutary effect of Hispanic immigration. Santa Ana, Calif., at 76 percent Latino the most heavily Spanish-speaking city of its size in the country, has cleaned up the seedy bars from its downtown area and replaced them with palm trees and benches.

Yet a seemingly innocuous block in Santa Ana can host five to eight households dedicated to gangbanging or drug sales.

Gang officer Ruiz drives by the modest tract home where his Mexican father, who worked in Orange County's farming industry, raised him in the 1950s. A car with a shattered windshield, a trailer and minivan sit in the back yard, surrounded by piles of junk and a mattress leaning on the garage door. "My mom taught us that even if you're poor, you should be neat," he says, shaking his head. These days, 50-year-old men are still dressing like Chicano gangsters, Mr. Ruiz says, and fathers are ordering barbers to shave their young sons bald in good gang tradition.

Without prompting, Mr. Ruiz brings up the million-dollar question: "I don't see assimilation," he says. "They want to hold on to Hispanic culture." Mr. Ruiz thinks that today's Mexican immigrant is a "totally different kind of person" from the past. Rather than aggressively seizing the opportunities available to them, especially in education, they have learned to play the victim card, he thinks.

Mr. Ruiz advocates a much more aggressive approach. "We need to explain, 'We'll help you assimilate up to a certain point, but then you have to take advantage of what's here.'"

Mr. Ruiz's observations will strike anyone who has hired eager Mexican and Central American workers as incredible. I pressed him repeatedly, insisting that Americans see Mexican immigrants as cheerful and hardworking, but he was adamant. "We're creating an underclass," he maintained.

Immigration optimists, ever ready to trumpet the benefits of today's immigration wave, have refused to acknowledge its costs. Foremost among them are skyrocketing gang crime and an expanding underclass. Until the country figures out how to reduce these costs, maintaining the current open-borders regime is folly. We should enforce our immigration laws and select immigrants on skills and likely upward mobility, not success in sneaking across the border.

Heather Mac Donald writes for City Journal (City Journal). E-mail: cj@city-journal.org.

©2004 Dallas Morning News

About Heather Mac Donald: articles, bio, and photo

Home | About MI | Scholars | Publications | Books | Links | Contact MI
City Journal | CAU | CCI | CEPE | CLP | CMP | CRD | ECNY
Thank you for visiting us.
To receive a General Information Packet, please email support@manhattan-institute.org
and include your name and address in your e-mail message.
Copyright © 2009 Manhattan Institute for Policy Research, Inc. All rights reserved.
52 Vanderbilt Avenue, New York, N.Y. 10017
phone (212) 599-7000 / fax (212) 599-3494

Old 03-19-2013, 08:40 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,534 times
lol something is really wrong with you 'Ay Nako'. Now, you wanted to post all comments from other forums to this forum hahaha... you are ignoring the history of the 1st Philippine Republic 1898. That all documents is written in Spanish from our revolutionary leaders etc. documents. From Novels to 1st national anthem played on the 12 june 1898, I would rather read Noli Me Tangere, El Filibusterismo, La Solidaridad in original writing which you'll feel the emotion of Rizal's work.

This is part of the Filipino history that you are trying to ignore. You stereotype people and judge them but anyways, if that's what you're point of view then go on this is a free forum you can speak out your opinion. So do I, like the rest of the people here.

Last edited by pinai; 03-19-2013 at 09:15 PM..

Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 PM

There is such an amazing backlash against hispanics and latinos now. I urge filipinos who insist that they are hispanic to rethink their affiliation (you are in an ass backwards group of ethnic dysphorics).

Here's a small look into the minds of everyone on the planet (hint: there is a scourge, and it's in the form of violent crime committed by mostly illegal hispanics and latinos):

Illegal aliens taking over America Mexicans - YouTube

Old 03-19-2013, 09:37 PM

Filipinos ~ there is a reason why your 300 + year conqueror is no longer hanging about, nor why the language isn't prevalent in the country. That would be because it was defeated, and spit out - - - pilipinos no longer wanted the bad treatment and thankfully didn't take on the language. Rizal was anti-Spanish, ergo, he was anti hispanic.

Why do you so badly hang onto your captor? Stockholm Syndrome, much?

Hispanics are loud, disrespectful, violent - - - - Philippine culture is a shame-based culture. Don't you know your own culture? Stop trying to be hispanic - why are you trying to tear down your own people?

Do you want the worst for your people??? I've only shown you a very small glimpse into how people perceive hispanics and latinos the world over. If you turn on the news - - - you can see the truth for yourself. Again, every Ramirez, Hernandez, Martinez, Gonzalez, Sanchez, and Gomez is on the news every 5 minutes for a murder, homicide, rape, robbery, assault, domestic battery . . . you really associate with that culture? Really?

Gangland - Race Wars - YouTube

Ok then, La Raza, Homes !!! <throw down the gang symbol>

Latino Task Force hopes to stop violence - YouTube

Old 03-19-2013, 09:51 PM

These people don't look Filipino to me - not my culture.

Hispanics = Criminal Illegal Aliens

This is what people think all hispanics are, because the majority of hispanics are illegal aliens:

Deported Criminal Illegal Aliens Over-Run Mexican Border - YouTube

Old 03-20-2013, 07:55 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,534 times
^you just want us Filipinos to hate hispanics that's what you are trying to show here. Which I don't judge people because they are hispanics or Latino showing this video clips and article regarding them. Everyone has bad stories or article even to us Filipinos & other group of people all over the world. I don't stereotype, I actually don't like stereotyping. We do get stereotype too like what you are doing right now.

Stereotype doesn't do well. Because we don't know them personally to judge because this also roots racism.

^Let's just dance and do some fiesta moment hehehe
courtesy of coca-cola lol

Last edited by pinai; 03-20-2013 at 09:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy