U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 05:53 PM

10,043 posts, read 17,722,299 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to research by address only?

I am interested in tracking a business---a little restaurant---that was on the corner from where I used to live. I have the address, but that's it. I know the first name of the owner, but nothing more. From what i can tell, the building remains, but abandonded. I find myself very curious about what happened to this woman. I have been able to ascertain the address.

Is there any way one can pick through the census information with just an address?

She ran a little hamburger joint in Detroit, then, one day, it was just closed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 08:26 PM

6,413 posts, read 11,226,477 times
Yes, you can. Narrowing down the census tract is tough, though. And would require a lot of scrolling through the pages. Your biggest problem with the census is, if it's a restaurant ... it's not going to be anyone's home.

The best sources for tracking a building are city directories, tax records, and deeds.

Another thing you'll have problem with, though, is if it's the woman you want to track ... the above may very well be of no help. Though she "ran" the business, doesn't mean she owned it. Or that she owned the property. A city directory might list her as the proprietor of the restaurant, though. And give you her full name.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:58 PM

6,617 posts, read 10,954,553 times
Default Detroit Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Is it possible to research by address only?

I am interested in tracking a business---a little restaurant---that was on the corner from where I used to live. I have the address, but that's it. I know the first name of the owner, but nothing more. From what i can tell, the building remains, but abandonded. I find myself very curious about what happened to this woman. I have been able to ascertain the address.

Is there any way one can pick through the census information with just an address?

She ran a little hamburger joint in Detroit, then, one day, it was just closed.
You might be in luck. There is a Detroit forum that I have been able to get responses to posted questions from the 1948 to 1951 years that I lived there as a child.
Detroit Connections.

Also if you lived there, you might be interested in the collection of aerial photos of Detroit from 1949 to 1997.

http://www.clas.wayne.edu/photos/ap_index.htm

Last edited by reed303; 03-18-2012 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: add link !

Old 03-21-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
You might be in luck. There is a Detroit forum that I have been able to get responses to posted questions from the 1948 to 1951 years that I lived there as a child.
Detroit Connections.

Also if you lived there, you might be interested in the collection of aerial photos of Detroit from 1949 to 1997.

DTE Aerial Photo Collection
Thanks!

Actually, this lady lived above the restaurant. However, she could have rented all those years, I don't really know.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:26 AM

Thanks, and just to check here--

this lady lived in Detroit, on Mack Ave, between newport and Lakewood. Her little restaurant was officially named Wimpy's, but everyone called it Sarah's. I remember Sarah as a rather, large woman, white hair, and china blue eyes. Does anyone recall her?

Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 AM

64 posts, read 340,315 times
3-21-2012

It's sort of unclear as to exactly what information you are trying to ascertain: the lady's last name, or how long the business existed, etc. Since Detroit is located in Wayne County, you will have better luck trying to contact a local source in Detroit that has access to cross-reference city directories (sometimes called Polk's Directories, but various companies issue these directories and the directory might be called something else in Michigan). If I were you I would try to contact a library or Wayne County genealogical organization that would have access to these directories and have a lookup done for Wimpy's and/or Sarah's and if you are lucky you will then get the exact address and sometimes the directory also shows the first and last name of the owner of the business and usually you can also do a search by the address to show who lived near or at the restaurant. RESEARCHER

Old 03-21-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knort4 View Post
3-21-2012

It's sort of unclear as to exactly what information you are trying to ascertain: the lady's last name, or how long the business existed, etc. Since Detroit is located in Wayne County, you will have better luck trying to contact a local source in Detroit that has access to cross-reference city directories (sometimes called Polk's Directories, but various companies issue these directories and the directory might be called something else in Michigan). If I were you I would try to contact a library or Wayne County genealogical organization that would have access to these directories and have a lookup done for Wimpy's and/or Sarah's and if you are lucky you will then get the exact address and sometimes the directory also shows the first and last name of the owner of the business and usually you can also do a search by the address to show who lived near or at the restaurant. RESEARCHER

Thanks for the ideas!

what am I trying to find out? Just who she was, her story, look her up on ancestry, etc. My grandfather said she and her husband started that little restaurant, but he was disabled from WWI and mostly lived in the back of the restaurant. I was surprised to find she was younger than I assumed, guess I'm just being curious/nosy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy