Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 02:11 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,139,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Well, then your judgement of it unfair. If you're not willing to try it, you can't possibly know what it's like and can't pass valid judgement on it.

As someone who has used it, I can justifiably say you are incorrect about it not having substance.
My opinion is wrong? My opinion is my opinion, and I'm entitled to it whether you agree with me or not. I clearly stated what little I knew about it, by what criteria I was judging it, and all I said was that it sent up some red flags for me.

If you don't like my opinion, ignore it. But DO NOT tell me I can't have it, or that it's wrong. Different than yours isn't wrong. It's just different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 04:06 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
My opinion is wrong? My opinion is my opinion, and I'm entitled to it whether you agree with me or not. I clearly stated what little I knew about it, by what criteria I was judging it, and all I said was that it sent up some red flags for me.

If you don't like my opinion, ignore it. But DO NOT tell me I can't have it, or that it's wrong. Different than yours isn't wrong. It's just different.
I didn't say you couldn't have an opinion, just that it was an unfair and uneducated assessment. I also said you're incorrect about it not having substance but that is simply the truth - it's not a matter of opinion. You can throw a hissy fit all you'd like - in the end, if you're not willing to try the software, you can't make an accurate judgement of it.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I didn't say you couldn't have an opinion, just that it was an unfair and uneducated assessment. I also said you're incorrect about it not having substance but that is simply the truth - it's not a matter of opinion. You can throw a hissy fit all you'd like - in the end, if you're not willing to try the software, you can't make an accurate judgement of it.
Gosh, I'm so sorry. It just kind of looked to me that someone claimed that their opinion is the truth, while someone else's is incorrect and unfair.

Oh wait. That's what you did. I take back that apology.

What is unfair about an assessment that I clearly said was a desultory opinion? Did I try to hide the fact that I don't use your favorite software? No, I didn't. That seems fair enough.

And what you consider substance, perhaps I do not. In fact, I strongly suspect we differ a lot in that. Kind of like, I think someone of substance who had a differing opinion would simply state their opinion, and not feel the need to throw out insults and call names.

The most important thing a genealogy program can do for anyone is to store data. Lots of it. And all kinds of it. If a software manufacturer isn't willing to showcase that ability, but instead focuses on pretty colored charts, screen shots without much data but lots of pretty little colored boxes, and its ability to search the web for lots of bad information that it will easily merge into itself, and spit back out so that other researchers can search the web for it and easily integrate it into their databases ... isn't going to lure me in for a closer look. And it, for sure, isn't going to make me download it to my computer.

Perhaps some of the reviews here will help support my doubts.

Last edited by EnricoV; 03-26-2012 at 08:46 AM..

Old 03-26-2012, 10:04 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The most important thing a genealogy program can do for anyone is to store data. Lots of it. And all kinds of it.
Which is does. But you wouldn't know because you won't even try it before coming to conclusions that aren't accurate.

Like I said, you can continue to have a hissy fit, doesn't change the fact that you're judging software you haven't even tested out. But now I'm repeating myself and this probably isn't helping the OP.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Which is does. But you wouldn't know because you won't even try it before coming to conclusions that aren't accurate.

Like I said, you can continue to have a hissy fit, doesn't change the fact that you're judging software you haven't even tested out. But now I'm repeating myself and this probably isn't helping the OP.
When I read reviews that mention ad-ware and viruses in their download ... no, I'm not going to try it. And you can keep having your own little "hissy fit" (since you're so fond of throwing that around), or you can simply let it go. Can you?

Old 03-28-2012, 08:05 PM

971 posts, read 1,452,528 times
If anyone mentioned GenForum, I missed it. I have gotten ton's if info off their free site, and made lots of new friends.

Search engine it as I haven't figured out how to paste in it's link yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy