U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2007, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,305 times

Advertisements

looking for someone to take pictures of gravesites and lookups
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 04:37 AM

18,434 posts, read 32,509,437 times
why? whose? where? hmm? trying to find loved ones from the past? I have thought of doing that, would have no idea where to start...

Old 09-13-2007, 07:09 AM

3,128 posts, read 8,780,708 times
Cindy, you start with what you know, your parents and then their parents and work backwards. If there is an elderly parent/aunt/uncle who is willing to talk...let them and either write down everything they tell you or record it.

Then find some software to use...there are many out there...some free, some paid to put the information in and then work backwards.

Here is a couple of good sites to help:
Rootsweb
Quote:
RootsWeb.com is a thriving, free genealogy community on the web, providing a robust worldwide environment for learning, collaborating and sharing for the expert and novice alike.
It is part of The Generations Network.
Cyndi's List of Genealogy Sites on the Internet One of the SINGLE best resource lists of sites online.
I have more.

I have been working on mine for 5 years now. My GEDCOM is currently offline since I am working on it and getting all the duplicates out of it. Once I get them fixed, I will upload them again.

In the meantime, you can see the rest of my genealogy site here: Ramsey and Taylor Ancestors Liz

Old 09-14-2007, 06:10 AM

7,731 posts, read 12,922,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl emery View Post
looking for someone to take pictures of gravesites and lookups
Find A Grave Contributor: Ryan Curtis
Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records
FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records

Old 09-14-2007, 07:48 AM

5,653 posts, read 18,503,288 times
Go onto the internet sites, genealogy.com and rootweb.com and Cyndi's list - there are groups there for every area and state and county in the country you can hook up with. Start there.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:27 AM

3,128 posts, read 8,780,708 times
Quote:
genealogy.com and rootweb.com and Cyndi's list
Make sure you spell it rootSweb or you won't find it. The links are in my post. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy