Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:32 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,493 times

Advertisements

Curious, did any of you receive this announcement from Ancestry about their DNA test? I JUST (today) mailed my test to 23 and me. Results in 2 to 3 weeks supposedly. I am curious as to how this will differ from 23 and me, and Family Tree DNA. I was under the impression that Ancestry owned FTDNA. Guess I was wrong?

My son did the Y-DNA 37 marker for FTDNA. I haven't been able to secure a male relative in my line to do the same test. Maybe this test, here is the answer? Since it is for men AND women? And it's just $99 - like 23 and me. Makes you wonder if FTDNA is going to be forced into bringing down their pricing to maintain competitiveness.

If I read everything correctly, looks like it is being offered to subscribers first. And you must request an invitation.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 05:28 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,156 times
I'm waiting for my invitation

Old 05-04-2012, 08:48 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
Got the email and requested my invitation yesterday.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:55 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
didn't get one, but the screen pops up when logging on. I am SO tempted. I'm not close enough to any male relatives to do the y chomasome based test so if this is for both sexes it would be so cool.

It says to submit your request but they have so many there will be a delay in getting your kit.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:32 AM

393 posts, read 1,496,990 times
I'm waiting on my invitation. I can't wait! I've done the National Geographic's Genographic Project test, but because I'm female, it could only test the mtDNA. I'm hoping the new Ancestry DNA test can give me more information.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:51 AM

393 posts, read 1,496,990 times
I just ordered my test. I can't wait to take it and get the results back. So exciting!

Old 05-12-2012, 09:26 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,083 times
I would LOVE to find out the truth! How do you know to trust the testers? Who does the testing? I've read that a woman's DNA is not the best; a brother should give the specimen. is that true?

I should have read more before jumping right in here, but can someone explain?

Old 05-13-2012, 01:34 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
I don't understand why you wouldn't "trust" the "testers". Samples are processed in a laboratory, by technicians who have university degrees in the subject. What motivation does a lab tech have to not be honest about the results? Or are you worried about them accidentally messing up? Like I say, they are qualified for their positions so it's unlikely - but worse comes to worse, you just have to send another sample.

As for male vs female DNA, I don't know much about it. I think in the past, a woman's DNA could only trace her maternal line and if she wanted her paternal line, she had to ask a male relative like a brother other father. But it looks like Ancestry.com is saying that's no longer the case - I'm not sure how but this is what they say on it:

Quote:
A DNA test for gentlemen…and ladies.
Our new AncestryDNA test uses some of the latest DNA autosomal testing technology as a more comprehensive way to find family across all lines in your family tree. So one test covers both sides—maternal and paternal—and is equally effective for both men and women.

Looking for our Y-DNA or mtDNA tests? These specialized tests only give you information about either your direct paternal or maternal lines. This means that Y-DNA and mtDNA tests limit the number of ancestors you can learn about.

Without getting too technical, the new test analyzes your autosomal DNA, which includes the entire genome—all 23 pairs of chromosomes—as opposed to only looking at the Y-chromosome or Mitochondrial DNA (which makes other types of tests gender specific or otherwise limited).

Also, the Y-DNA and mtDNA tests look at much smaller amounts of your DNA. For example, YDNA tests only look at about 40 locations whereas AncestryDNA comprehensively looks at the entire genome at over 700,000 locations, all with a simple saliva sample. 40 vs. 700,000? You don’t need to be a scientist to see that this is a huge improvement.
I'm really eager to have it done but they aren't offering it on Ancestry.co.uk which suggests they won't send the kit overseas. I'll have to look into it.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:10 AM

Family Tree DNA and 23 and me are the big boys in this market. Ancestry DNA is jumping in - possibly forcing Family Tree DNA especially, to be more competitive in pricing.

I've tested my son at Family Tree DNA. I tested at 23 and me, still awaiting my results, processing time is 2-3 weeks.

Y-DNA testing is for males exclusively, which is passed down exclusively to men.

mtDNA is for men and women, both genders inherit this from their maternal line.

Then there's autosomal DNA, which is also for men and women, which is good for confirming close relationships (I believe up to 5 generations back), regardless of gender.

Both 23 and me and Family Tree DNA also offer autosomal DNA testing. What Ancestry is doing isn't new.

I went with 23 and me because I wanted the health analysis. Plus, their product line is one packaged, as opposed to being sold individually. I will transfer my results to Family Tree DNA so that I am in both databases, which should generate even more matches for me.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
I just ordered my test. I can't wait to take it and get the results back. So exciting!
You already received your invitation and ordered your test through Ancestry, or another company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy