Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 05:59 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,642 times

Advertisements

I think it's funny how dark hair and eyes and tan skin are viewed as so mysterious and mystical by people. I'm 99% European and almost half British and 99% of the people in my family on both sides have brown hair and either hazel or brown eyes with no ghost white skin to be seen.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:25 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
I think it's funny how dark hair and eyes and tan skin are viewed as so mysterious and mystical by people. I'm 99% European and almost half British and 99% of the people in my family on both sides have brown hair and either hazel or brown eyes with no ghost white skin to be seen.
Maybe you're related to Edward the Black Prince of Wales .

Old 12-18-2013, 09:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Same here -- 98 percent NORTHERN European in fact, 65 percent of that English/Irish specifically. Dark hair and very dark eyes. I am fair complected but with a lot of "color" to it. Think English rose - LOL - pink cheeks and I don't burn easily but my skin is very light, and no one in my family has that ghostly white skin either, though many people in my family have red hair - with brown eyes).

The brown eyes in my family are so dark that you can't see the irises. But we're straight up Northern European. The other two percent is .4 percent non specific European and 1.6 percent southern European.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:24 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampThang View Post
The only good looking girl is the middle one
Well you've probably heard the saying that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", I personally think the first girl to be the most good-looking while the older blonde-headed woman to be the least.[/quote]

Old 12-18-2013, 09:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Quote:
Then what is 2% non-European from?
What? I am 100 percent European. I am 98 percent NORTHERN European, and the other 2 percent non specific European. I already posted the figures.

Quote:
If you don't burn easily, you're close to "ghostly-white". Do not be confused, "ghostly-white" is only an expression for a very pale-skinned individual.
What? (Again. ) I don't burn OR tan easily. My skin, however, is not "ghostly white" at all. It has lots of a peachy/pink sort of color to it. There's a picture on my profile of me - if you want to see something accurate, look at it. I don't wear much makeup so you'll see the real deal. I am very obviously not a pale sort of person.

Quote:
If there are many redheads in your family no matter the eye color, there must be very pale individuals.
No, not "pale" - light skinned with lots of peachy pink to their complexions, like me. In fact, my hair was strawberry blonde as a child, then darkened to auburn as a teen and young adult, and has slowly gotten darker and darker over the years. It's still got a very reddish tint to it, even though it's dark.

Quote:
Catherine Zeta-Jones (the beautiful) real skin color is not dark but light. Do not be fooled by the tans put on by the Hollywood folks and her eye color is not of the darkest brown rather more of a light brown. She would be qualify for the "Black Irish" tag.

The so-called "Black Irish" are no more or no less Irish than other Irish people. They are not "descendants of Iberians" rather just Irish who happen to be dark-haired.
Well, to be fair, I never said they were descendants of Iberians.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:31 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
I heard it's mixture with another ethnicity, especially a darker-skinned/haired one.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:36 PM

934 posts, read 1,127,808 times
Personally, I do use the term "black irish" but not to designate an ancestry, or lineage or race. Simply to identify some of the more swarthy of a group of people. I think some people are making mountains out of molehills. It's not a big deal. It's like calling someone a red head, or a ginger. It doesn't mean more than that, wherever the genes are coming from.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:31 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
As an Irish person I find it a ridiculous term as I have said previously in this thread. If people use Black Irish then why not Black English, Black Scottish or Black Swedish?

Black Dutch is another weird one.

It is an especially silly term in this day and age when there are actual Irish people who have some African/South American ancestry like Phil Lynott, Samantha Mumba and Paul McGrath.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:36 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What? I am 100 percent European. I am 98 percent NORTHERN European, and the other 2 percent non specific European. I already posted the figures.

What? (Again. ) I don't burn OR tan easily. My skin, however, is not "ghostly white" at all. It has lots of a peachy/pink sort of color to it. There's a picture on my profile of me - if you want to see something accurate, look at it. I don't wear much makeup so you'll see the real deal. I am very obviously not a pale sort of person.

No, not "pale" - light skinned with lots of peachy pink to their complexions, like me. In fact, my hair was strawberry blonde as a child, then darkened to auburn as a teen and young adult, and has slowly gotten darker and darker over the years. It's still got a very reddish tint to it, even though it's dark.

Well, to be fair, I never said they were descendants of Iberians.
To make it easy for you, 'peachy-pink' complexion is the second palest skin type("English Rose") after the 'porcelain-white' complexion for your information also called by dermatologists skin phototype II. You cannot lie on the genetical, Europeans who have red hair are predominant skin type I or type II. Reddish-white skin is still quite fair. The majority of Irish people belong to skin type II, by this they are even lighter-skinned than Scandinavians. There are more Irish who can't easily tan than Swedes for sure. [/quote]

Old 12-20-2013, 12:12 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,449,313 times
An Irish Chimney Sweep?
An NFL football player with Irish Surname?

Joking aside, a work colleague years ago called himself Black Irish and all it was in reference to was his hair and eyes. He had jet black hair, dark brown eyes, but fair skin complexion. All the other Irish I've met who claimed to be 'Black Irish' where this way I don't think I've met any 'swarthy' Irish other than the aforementioned displaced descendants of Africans who took on Irish surnames in America.

So, what about the White Russians (Belarus area)? Or the White Croats (North tribes around Southern Poland - Krakow area) and Red Croats (Adriatic southern group)?

It is funny how descriptive terms get used and often confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy