Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 11:37 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
black irish has an entirely different connotation than the one stated here ---am sure one can find the history of the black irish online--am irish by association
Auntieannie68 I know the history of what Black Irish is online. I've only read about it on the internet. I've never heard it used by Irish people to describe Irish with darker colouring.

If anyone looks at the history of Black Irish and Black Dutch it traces back to the United States.

The Straight Dope: Who are the "black Irish"?

Old 03-06-2013, 06:29 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
On another thread, I mentioned my MIL who always promoted her Irish heritage over any other.

She claimed to be 'black Irish and indeed she was darker than the Irish stereotype, with dark brown - almost black hair and eyes.

Her skin was fair, and she was rather diminutive. Only 5'1' and 110 lbs.

I am also part Irish. My parents have told me that we are part black Irish, and part regular Irish.

Both sides are Protestant, as was my MIL.

So what gives? Was it Spanish invaders? Africans? Or what?
The island was invaded by Danes, according to my readings, and their forays darkened the features of the offspring that resulted.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:54 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
There's also the classic Irish coloring of blue eyes "put in with a sooty finger" - i.e., with long dark eyelashes. Usually such people have black hair, as did my grandmother, whose grandfather was from County Derry. I've heard people with this coloring referred to as "black Irish".
I may have replied before but, I have a niece by marriage with black hair, fair to creamy white coloring, and startling blue eyes with the sooty lashes. I have also known others over the years with the same coloring. I had always understood that was "black Irish". I never considered where it came from, it just was.....<s>

Old 03-06-2013, 05:01 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
After the Spanish Armada was defeated by Elizabeth I, the crippled ships that weren't sunk
retreated around Ireland and did, in fact, have many that shipwrecked and never made it back
to Spain. They interbred with the Irish inhabitants and many of the mixed traits are evidenced
in the skin tones and complexion that are witnessed today and in the past.
This is what was told to me by my brown haired/brown eyed father...I am blue eyed blonde(mother's side) 100% Irish!

Old 03-16-2013, 04:31 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
I am British, with an Irish father from Belfast (orangeman) who had black curly hair and sapphire blue eyes. While he had naturally pale skin, he could tan well.

I remember a British documentary years ago that said Black Irish were the people taken to Ireland from Scotland and England by William of Orange. And that "Black" simply meant they had darker hair and eyes, than the residents of Ireland at that time. Here is a piece from Wiki about this:
"In the early seventeenth century the English, partly in response to an uprising based in Ulster, settled large numbers of English and Scottish Protestants in the province, a process known as the Plantation of Ulster.[3] This changed Ulster from the most Catholic and Gaelic of the four Irish provinces[4] to the most Protestant and British." History of the Orange Institution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-20-2013, 08:57 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
Interesting. I've never heard of the Plantation of Ulster definition for Black Irish. I am African-American with some Scots-Irish ancestry.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:58 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
I've read that the terms Black Dutch or Black Irish are nebulous in definitions. I'm thinking it is because both contain an amount of African British or African American. In America the terms likely mean some Native American and African American and Freedmen, which is both Native American and African Americans who were slaves, but, became free.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:14 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
Actually the Black Irish term does not necessarily have any connection to African blood since it is a term originating in Europe from as early as the 16th century.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:49 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
My sister-in-law was born with glorious red hair and she has russet eyes and very pale, but, freckled skin. She is Jewish from Lithuania. Her father has red hair, her mother's hair is black. Both parents have brown eyes. They all look like they could be from Ireland.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:02 PM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
An oxymoron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy