Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 06:02 AM

5,654 posts, read 5,143,709 times

Advertisements

This is a link to an article i posted in the 'Americas' Forum. I thought some on this forum might also find it interesting.

Americas 'settled in three waves'.

Quote:
The biggest survey of Native American DNA has concluded that the New World was settled in three major waves.
But the majority of today's indigenous Americans descend from a single group of migrants that crossed from Asia to Alaska 15,000 years ago or more.
Previous genetic data have lent support to the idea that America was colonised by a single migrant wave.
An international team of researchers have published their findings in the journal Nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 08:27 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,360,600 times
Yes, that's one of the latest, but now there is pretty good evidence they also came from Europe following the edge of the ice, between the ice and the ocean.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:28 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
This is a link to an article i posted in the 'Americas' Forum. I thought some on this forum might also find it interesting.

Americas 'settled in three waves'.
This isn't really new. What's newsworthy about it is that the original theory that was proposed about 25 years ago, and brushed aside by many anthropologists, was confirmed. The other thing that's interesting about it is that it sweeps aside theories put forward by a number of anthropologists that there were other, much earlier, migrations to the Americas (40,000 years ago, and earlier).

Old 07-14-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Yes, that's one of the latest, but now there is pretty good evidence they also came from Europe following the edge of the ice, between the ice and the ocean.
Are you referring to Kennewick Man? He's not Europoid, they now say he's closer to the Ainu of Japan. Or are you referring to what's been called the "X" haplotype? I'd like to see how that fits in to these latest findings.

On the other hand, it's not a bad idea to doubt results like these. They may not be final and definitive.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:58 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,207,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Are you referring to Kennewick Man? He's not Europoid, they now say he's closer to the Ainu of Japan. Or are you referring to what's been called the "X" haplotype? I'd like to see how that fits in to these latest findings.

On the other hand, it's not a bad idea to doubt results like these. They may not be final and definitive.
It's been speculated that during the ice age, the early humans who lived off fishing at the edge of the glaciers could easily have followed them all the way across. The asian humans in what would become North America lived an identical sort of life, and the theroy is they merged along the north eastern coastal areas. The detailed aero points of the Clovis people have been found in that area. The debate is if it was from what would today be southern France, or a parallel development. DNA wise, it wouldn't be likely that they left much of a trace at all, since most of those on the costal areas were wiped out with a resurgence later of the glaciers, which is why the great majority of DNA is from the last migration as most of those from earlier ones did not survive, and those who did were mostly in the interior areas of the continent.

A near clovis aero point which is much later is also up for archological debate (which involved defending your theory too) as a remembered and updated technology of the early ones. Or a reemergence on its own. But genetically, the possible Clovis migration would have left little imprint on the future.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Nope, not Kennewick. It is research by Dennis Stanford and Bruce Bradley and they have written the book "Across Atlantic Ice". I had read a book review, then my son gave me the book. They admit the research will be hotly debated but wrote they are publishing their research and are satisfied it is correct.

I do archeology work and when I'm harassing the professional archeologist I tell them I can find an artifact or feature in situ, call three of them over to look at it, and they will give me three different answers . Each has his/her own pet rock and don't you dare kick it - but I kick it often .

Old 07-18-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:

I do archeology work and when I'm harassing the professional archeologist I tell them I can find an artifact or feature in situ, call three of them over to look at it, and they will give me three different answers . Each has his/her own pet rock and don't you dare kick it - but I kick it often .
Yeah, this is what makes archaeology fascinating. But the new genetic info is settling some of these questions.

Some genetic migration maps show an "X" type that migrated all across the arctic, across the top of Siberia going East, I think. Some of those mystery genes were found in North America, but this new statement seems to say there were only 3 migrations. I'm wondering if the jury is completely in, yet. Did they do the analysis on the basis of mtDNA or Y-chromosomes? That could make a difference. And this is the first I've heard that the Ojibway/Chippewa are Na-Dene speakers. Ojibway has always been considered an Algonquian language. No Na-Dene scholars that I know have ever considered Ojibway to be Na-Dene. So I guess I'm taking a wait-and-see approach to this.

http://genographic.nationalgeographi...tml?card=mm014 For more info on human migration routes, both male and female DNA

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-18-2012 at 10:30 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 09:46 PM

I've always thought the Indians on the east coast had more European facial features and the ones on the west coast had Asian.

NG -Genographic: My wife and I have had five of our family lines run through NG-G and it has been interesting. Her maternal line made a short trip into Uzbekistan then turned and went to Algeria and stopped there. But the biggest kicker of all is that her paternal line is exactly like mine, and I told her we were cousins . She was not amused . If the two had been sent in at the same time I would suspect they had gotten cross-contaminated, but they were sent in years apart.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:09 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,207,511 times
Quote:
Nope, not Kennewick. It is research by Dennis Stanford and Bruce Bradley and they have written the book "Across Atlantic Ice". I had read a book review, then my son gave me the book. They admit the research will be hotly debated but wrote they are publishing their research and are satisfied it is correct.

I ordered the book from Amazon and am looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the reccomendation.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:51 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,184,179 times
Quote:
I've always thought the Indians on the east coast had more European facial features and the ones on the west coast had Asian.
I'm guessing that's because the Eastern tribes were more likely to have mixed with non-Indians over the more years they were in contact. Most Western tribes were pretty isolated until a couple of decades or more into the 19th century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy