Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 12:58 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
The original census has our last name correctly as Corpion, but the Ancestry.com person who transcribed it mis-read or mis-typed it as Corpier. I notified Ancestry, but they refused to correct it and instead added Corpion as an "alternate" spelling, which kind of ticks me off. I'm pretty sure my family knows how to spell our name, as it's been spelled the same way back into the 1700's, which is the furthest I've been able to trace the family so far. To me, the census taker clearly wrote it correctly, and it's Ancestry's mistake. I almost couldn't find it in the census, as I had to use "Corp*" to locate it. I'm going to check other companies who transcribed it to see what they came up with.
This is not new, it's the way it is with all their records. They can't possibly allow just anyone to change transcriptions, they can't take just anyone's word for it. Just look at all the inaccurate trees - is that how you want the indexes to look? No, I think they are right to merely add it as an alternate spelling. And they do help - I'm pretty sure user submitted alternates are included in search results.

At least ACOM do even this much... on FamilySearch, I don't think there is an option to submit an alternative or change a transcription.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 01:16 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
I found my grandmother by address, and a few other family members, but just copied down the info. I had to wait until the indexing to find my grandfather and wife number two. They moved a lot before. At least I know he split by 1935, and assume they divorced before.

But now to look them all up again on ancestry and put them in my shoebox so I don't have to find the pile of paper with all the notes.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:21 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
I should have indicated it's FULLY indexed on Ancestry.
Okay, well, all of www.familysearch.org is free anywhere, anytime. They are all volunteer so their 1940 indexing is taking a bit longer.

ancestry.com usually charges everyone except on-site library users, if the library has a (rather expensive) subscription for the database. Libraries pay much more for subscriptions than individuals do.

ancestry is allowing people to search the 1940 census for free, probably because the government has made the resource free. Their other sources are another story.

Last edited by bjh; 08-05-2012 at 05:35 AM..

Old 08-05-2012, 09:57 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,954 times
I am very aware of familysearch, which I use to augment my paid subscription to Ancestry. I also take no issue with Ancestry charging for its resources. I honestly can't imagine accessing the number of documents there, all in one convenient location, for no cost.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:32 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Their other sources are another story.
Actually, ACOM has many collections which are free. Most are not, of course... but the 1940 census is not the only free collection on ACOM.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:55 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Actually, ACOM has many collections which are free. Most are not, of course... but the 1940 census is not the only free collection on ACOM.
Glad to hear it.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:34 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
Quote:
I am very aware of familysearch, which I use to augment my paid subscription to Ancestry. I also take no issue with Ancestry charging for its resources. I honestly can't imagine accessing the number of documents there, all in one convenient location, for no cost.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:22 AM
bjh

Quote:
Nor do I begrude ancestry being a business. I support capitalism. It's one of the things that makes us free. But FYI you can access all their sources for no cost at many local libraries, hence my mention of that and familysearch.org which people can access at home. Anyway one of the main points of City-Data is to share useful information. Often people on here, both users and those just surfing through, are seeking free resources. Thus, I like to let others know about free resources when they're available.

Last edited by bjh; 08-06-2012 at 06:35 AM..

Old 08-06-2012, 01:19 PM

606 posts, read 903,544 times
I'm waiting for the familysearch version to be fully searchable. The ancestry version has done nothing but frustrate me with the major amount of mistakes in it. I wish they wouldn't have outsourced it to other countries. It's the biggest mess I've seen with errors that make no sense. Full pages that are transcribed wrong. No wonder the boards over there and on FB are full of complaints. I don't think i'll be renewing my membership when it's up in a few months.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:16 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
I'm waiting for the familysearch version to be fully searchable. The ancestry version has done nothing but frustrate me with the major amount of mistakes in it. I wish they wouldn't have outsourced it to other countries. It's the biggest mess I've seen with errors that make no sense. Full pages that are transcribed wrong. No wonder the boards over there and on FB are full of complaints. I don't think i'll be renewing my membership when it's up in a few months.
Interesting. I did see that ancestry transcribed a relative's first name to something really odd.

Of course, no human endeavor is perfect. We'll see what errors fam search has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy