Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:08 PM

7 posts, read 19,254 times

Advertisements

I talked to my dad and he said that there were some "papers" that he got from his dad after all the probate court stuff was finalized and the state appointed executor handed everything over. He said there was a letter that was there that someone from his biological family sent and they mentioned that his family came from France in the 1700's.

Unfortunately, he said he threw away a lot of the stuff since he didnt care about his father or his blood family. Ugh, hopefully he has something left that will be beneficial. I will be visiting them next week and I will let you guys know if that letter is there or anything that I could use to solve this.

I dont think that Woodrow and Mildred adopted John from a family member and i think that theres someone out there that knows something since someone contacted him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 09:50 PM

found a census sheet from April 15, 1930 in Lucas County Children's Home...John Patton age 2 mother and father born in Virginia.

Since his name in the insitution is John Patton do you guys think that this is his birth name and Woodrow and Mildred adopted a child with the same last name?

Old 08-11-2012, 10:53 PM

heres a cropped image of the census
Attached Thumbnails
Adopted Grandfather...No clue who his birth parents are...PLEASE HELP!-john-patton-1930-census-4-.jpg   Adopted Grandfather...No clue who his birth parents are...PLEASE HELP!-john-patton-1930-census-5-.jpg  

Old 08-11-2012, 11:31 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
We've been going through an adoption investigation for my wife's father. We were told that in the times before the 40's that most adoptions were handled by the Catholic Church, and by law then all adoption papers are to be sealed for 100 years. We recently went to the MN Dept of Health records and we were told that the one 1917 adoption we're currently researching is on file and to come back in 2017 and they will then release the information to us. The other option we were told was to find a Judge and get a court order to allow the DH to release the files earlier.
So we wait.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:28 AM

738 posts, read 999,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettpatton View Post
found a census sheet from April 15, 1930 in Lucas County Children's Home...John Patton age 2 mother and father born in Virginia.

Since his name in the insitution is John Patton do you guys think that this is his birth name and Woodrow and Mildred adopted a child with the same last name?
Well...stranger things have happened, that's for sure. Still, I'm not totally convinced (at this moment) that this is your John Patton. Hmmmmmmmmmm...this does make me think though....

RVcook

Old 08-12-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
We've been going through an adoption investigation for my wife's father. We were told that in the times before the 40's that most adoptions were handled by the Catholic Church, and by law then all adoption papers are to be sealed for 100 years. We recently went to the MN Dept of Health records and we were told that the one 1917 adoption we're currently researching is on file and to come back in 2017 and they will then release the information to us. The other option we were told was to find a Judge and get a court order to allow the DH to release the files earlier.
So we wait.
in ohio, adoptions prior to jan 1 1964 are open and documents can be requested for $25 or something. im going to look through my dads things before i fork the money over

Old 08-12-2012, 10:24 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
There were two ways to come. Pay the ships captian or sign away some seven years of your life.
It wasn't always seven years. It could be as little as three or four, depending on one's skills and abilities. And the arrangement wasn't as strange to them as it seems to us now, because the apprentice system was also in wide use, in which young people were bound in service to craftsmen for a term of years in order to learn a trade.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:30 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,581 times
I am for some reason not able to get a clear image of the 1940 census -- what was Woodrow's occupation?

Though all born in PA, Woodrow's family was in WVa in the 1910 census. [PA in 1920 though in Westmoreland].

He had 3 sisters: Mildred, Emma & Evelyn as well as brother William. Any contact w/these families?

Old 08-12-2012, 05:26 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It wasn't always seven years. It could be as little as three or four, depending on one's skills and abilities. And the arrangement wasn't as strange to them as it seems to us now, because the apprentice system was also in wide use, in which young people were bound in service to craftsmen for a term of years in order to learn a trade.
True, but the apprentice system was older and different. It continued for a much longer time, even into the 1800's. It was a tiny portion of the people trade, as it was refered to at the time. This system included those kidnapped off the streets and for the one who didn't have anything special it was the fields, since that was why the system which fed it was created. Children aprenticed had usually been before leaving, usually by parents unable to care for them. Most shipped in were literally sold in the square. And the first was of 200 children from the streets of London, some with parents who tried to retirve them but were denied, between 6 and 16. They would be indentured until 21 unless they died before that. They all went to the tabacco fields and two years later they were all dead.

The essense of the time was the poor, especially the displaced and those who had what you wanted, were not considered to have any value as human beings.

The most common punishment for 'servants' was in addition to whipping the addition of time, which resulted in many indentures becoming far longer than they had been set as. There was no rule about what the master could impose as punishment. The later practice of raping black women was alive and well with white woman as well, which automatically extended their term by at least two years, and frequently meant they stayed as the child was indentured to the age of 21. This was especially true of captured escapees, who were frequently faced with many years added for a few days freedom. There were many means to easily catch escapees. What was written on the origional was only the legal binding but it could grow very easily.

If you look back further, the whole justification grew out of the pre-industrial age and closing in of the fields. Most of the excess population were those who had worked as serfs on the fields. They got displaced and became a social problem. Thus, when the colonies provided a place to send them to work the land again, they did. As for the Irish, who in general were considered pests to be gotten out of the way, much of the niceties were not even bothered with.

It isn't an accident that the national symbol of Barbatos is the Shamrock and a majority of surnames are Irish.

It's interesting that just as for many years the convict origion of many Australians was hushed up and denied, only now being explored, the beginning of involuntary labor in the colonies was hushed up as slavery began to develop since it was a little too close for comfort and even when it was in force, it became a social mark of discrase as one who would willingly trade their freedom in that way was deemed worthless.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:59 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

It isn't an accident that the national symbol of Barbatos is the Shamrock and a majority of surnames are Irish.
This is a little far from the OP's question & willing to take it somewhere else :+), but the Bajan national symbol is a trident - - and though there were thousands of Irish indentured servants & prisoners sent there, the island was an equal opportunity labor importer. The surnames there still reflect the multinational makeup of centuries of international trade and a labor intensive monoculture.

To the OP - from experience, it is not impossible to crack the adoption wall. It often takes creative thinking, luck, and approaching it through the back door so to speak. Imagine you had medical reasons of some kind and had exhausted all other options - - how would you go about finding a blood relative on your father's side?? Thankfully you're not in that position - -but agree someone knows something that can move your search forward - -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy