Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:04 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times

Advertisements

The Blue Ridge Parkway has a gap named after my family. Across the road and on top of the hill is a cemetery by the same family name. I know where it is, but do not know how to get to it, but I am planning to find out. There is also a cabin where someone from our family lived near Glendale Springs, North Carolina on the parkway. The Baptist church at Glendale Springs has the graves of more recent family members. It is the church beside the church that has the Lord's Supper art work behind the pulpit.

My grandparents are buried at a small Presbyterian church near milepost 254 or 245, I can never remember which but I know where it is.

I have a couple of cousins that traveled to England to finish their work on our family line. I have never been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 10:24 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Have you ever had the chance to travel and see the cities, towns or farms where some of your ancestors lived?

For that purpose or just as a side trip?
What a great question! I only fairly recently found out where many of my ancestors lived. It's on my "to do" list. That would be quite a project. (Do you know where I could get a grant?)

Old 08-18-2012, 07:55 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Yes. On my dad's side I went to the north of England and met distant cousins who took me to the village they came from. Saw the cemetery, cried there and placed flowers on the grave. Such difficult and tragic lives--9 children dead.
I felt right at home there but of course it hasn't been that long, just 100 years ago that they came over.

On my mother's side it turns out that I'm living where they lived in the mid 1600s!!!! I didn't even know that when I moved here. Just got back from a few days in Vermont and tracked down some towns and lore up there. Went to a town some of them founded in RI but definitely want to go back and stay in wonderful Vermont and find the grave sties and old farms.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:27 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The Baptist church at Glendale Springs has the graves of more recent family members. It is the church beside the church that has the Lord's Supper art work behind the pulpit.
Church of the Frescoes. Neat place. In the basement is a columbarium where the cremains of many people are stored. The containers are no ordinary jars either, but appear to be locally made pottery

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
My grandparents are buried at a small Presbyterian church near milepost 254 or 245, I can never remember which but I know where it is.
The BRP is an awesome endeavor in that it's not just a road but a preservation of much of the early life of that region. We were just up there yesterday. Found a humdinger of a route that winds from Mount Airy up to Piper's Gap There are a number of small cemeteries that are well maintained along the route. It's not unusual to sweep around a curve and pass a small lot enclosed in a fence with a family cemetery inside.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:27 AM

33 posts, read 118,581 times
Several of the places we have lived or visited (military family) have been ancestral stomping grounds (Germany, England, Scotland, Virginia, Ohio), but by far the coolest was when we lived in the Charlottesville area of Virginia. We were tracing back in both my husband's and my lines during our time there, and discovered both sides were the same area (by descriptions of the landscape in letters within a few miles of our home) during the revolutionary period, and had done business with one-another . We have scanned copies of an agreement between the 2 families for the sale of livestock more than 300 years before we met (no direct crossing of the 2 family lines before us, but did find where my maternal grandparents' lines crossed during the same period) . We both had quite a few family members in a small rural cometary about 6 miles from our home

If something doesn't make sense, I blame autocorrect.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:48 PM

393 posts, read 1,497,253 times
All of my ancestors are from "elsewhere". I have been to Waipahu, Hawai'i where my mother's maternal family is from, and where many still live. The other places I have not been to yet, but would love to visit: the Philippines, China, Puerto Rico, Cuba, the Basque Country (Spain and France), and Norway. I have been to both Spain and France, but nowhere near where my ancestors lived. So far, I've only "visited" them via Google Earth

Old 08-22-2012, 03:39 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Well, I'm from the Philly suburbs so I was already familiar with many of the locations where my ancestors lived in Philly, Bucks, and Montgomery counties. But I managed to track down the actual house some of my ancestors lived in - it's still standing, a gorgeous stone house built in the 1890s and the owner was nice enough to show us around inside. It still has a dirt floor basement, big sliding pocket doors, a grand staircase, and huge fireplaces. The kitchen has been completely modernized but that's to be expected.

I have also visited the town here in England that one of my ancestors was from before immigrating to the US - though sadly, very little of the area is the same so there's not much to see.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:22 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Well, I'm from the Philly suburbs so I was already familiar with many of the locations where my ancestors lived in Philly, Bucks, and Montgomery counties. But I managed to track down the actual house some of my ancestors lived in - it's still standing, a gorgeous stone house built in the 1890s and the owner was nice enough to show us around inside. It still has a dirt floor basement, big sliding pocket doors, a grand staircase, and huge fireplaces. The kitchen has been completely modernized but that's to be expected.

I have also visited the town here in England that one of my ancestors was from before immigrating to the US - though sadly, very little of the area is the same so there's not much to see.
I'm from Pa as well. Two of my ancestors founded churches in Montgomery and Berks Counties.

Little Zion Lutheran Church in Franconia Township, Telford, Pennsylvania in Telford. My sixth great-grandfather donated land for the church.

The other church was somewhere in the Womelsdorf area, founded by a fifth great-grandfather on another line.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:30 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
You CAN'T keep me away from the place.

I go to Italy every other year, +/-. I see some relatives and we travel together over there. There are some I avoid (too smothering and/or dramatic).

My Dad did NOT want me to go back. He said I was a spoiled American raised in the suburbs and probably wouldn't deal well with having to take shorter showers, the country's inefficiencies, and the petty thievery (pickpockets). Boy, did I prove him wrong.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:06 PM

971 posts, read 1,453,797 times
My paternal ancestor arrived Mass about 1630's. A blacksmith. His kids migrated to NJ>PA>IN>IA & MO. Many of us have tried to find where Henry came from across the pond but no luck yet. I have been around the Iowa area a couple of times for phoyo's of cemetery monuments but all branch families went on west. Maternal line ends at Crawford Co., Ohio in 1831 from Kanahwa, WV. Guess I will let someone younger research further back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy