Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:56 AM

5 posts, read 21,216 times

Advertisements

Hi My name is Teresa and I've been trying to locate some history about my dad. I have searched with no luck. This is what I have. His name is Harry Arthur Johnson, born 12/19/1932 in Tennessee ?. He got his ss# 1952 in In Indiana. I don't have his parents names I was told they died when he was very young and he was in a orphanage until he turned 18.My father passed away on 12/8/2002. H was married to my mother her name was Carol Joyce Crandall. they divorced when I was little and I just want to know where I came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 01:25 PM

36,961 posts, read 40,898,119 times
Harry Johnson is too common a name. There are several in the 1940 census with the right approximate age. Did he have any siblings? Do you know for sure he was born in TN? You have a question mark after the state in your post.

I find it strange that he did not know his parents' names, even though he was an orphan. Do you know anything about the orphanage?

I see he died in Orange CO, CA. Have you obtained a death certificate?

He is buried in Anaheim Cemetery.

U.S. Veterans Gravesites, ca.1775-2006 about Harry A Johnson
Name: Harry A Johnson
Service Info.: US MARINE CORPS KOREA
Birth Date: 19 Dec 1932
Death Date: 9 Dec 2002
Cemetery: Anaheim Cemetery
Cemetery Address: 1400 East Sycamore Street Anaheim, CA 92805

You could get his military records:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/mil...rds/index.html

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 09-12-2012 at 01:42 PM..

Old 09-12-2012, 01:55 PM

Default in search of history

On my birth certificate it says fathers birthplace Tennessee. It says he worked in production control , Aircraft parts mfg.My father last lived in Anaheim, California. I've been on ancestry.com looking and looking i did find his social security death index i have not purchased it but I saved it to my family tree on there site. My mother and father did go through a bad divorce my mother was placed in patton state hospital for a nervous breakdown and I were put into a foster home. After that i did not see my dad again until i was 17. My mother took custody of my brother and I when she got out of the hospital. I don't remember a lot of my childhood because probably of the drama. What i do remember when i was little we lived in Pomona, California i was about 7. Then we got took-en. I just really need to know. Thank you for replying so quickly and any way you can help would be much appreciated. I DO NOT NO OF ANY OTHER FAMILY.

Last edited by techard; 09-12-2012 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: adding something

Old 09-12-2012, 03:08 PM

Default Military

i sent off for the military records but can not get a birth certificate because I don't know his mothers maiden name.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:42 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,261,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techard View Post
i sent off for the military records but can not get a birth certificate because I don't know his mothers maiden name.
This is kind of a general answer, since a lot of people wind up in this kind of a quandry.

When there is something you do not know, work outwards in all directions from what you do know.

For example, what does the 1940 census tell you? Or his marriage license when he married your mother? Or his Social Security # application? Have you searched for his birth record using the info you have?

Often I have unsuccessfullt tried to backtrack a relative using 3 or 4 different approaches, then found some other angle completely that opened it all up.

The key is to be persistent, and keep looking. And if the information can't be found this year, try again next year. The amount of new information that comes online each year is breathtaking.

Good luck!

Old 09-12-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Have you tried to get a death certificate? That may have his parents' names on it.

Death Records - Orange County California

What is on a CA death certificate:

What information is on a california death certificate? - Yahoo! Answers
State file number
Local registration number
Name of decedent - First, Middle, Last
Date of birth
Date of death
Time of death
State of birth
Social Security #
Military service
Marital status
Education years completed
Race
Usual employer
Occupation
Kind of business
Years in occupation
Residence address
Name of informant, Their address
Name of surviving spouse, First, Middle, Last
Name of Father, First, Middle, Last
Name of Mother, First, Middle, Last

Date of disposition
Place of disposition
Type of disposition
Signature of embalmer, License number
Name of funeral director / home, License number
Signature of local registrar, date
Place of death, type of facility, county, address
Cause of death, interval between onset and death, death reported to coroner yes / no, biopsy performed yes / no, autopsy performed yes / no, used in determining cause yes / no, any other significant conditions contributing to death not related to main cause, operation performed for said condition yes / no date
Signature of certifier, License number, date, attending physicians address
Manner of death, natural, suicide, homicide, accident, pending, could not be determined, Injury at work, date, hour, place, address, description
Signature of coroner, deputy coroner, date
Fax authorization number
Census tracking number

In addition, the funeral director may still be in business and have more information for you.

The Anaheim Library could check for an obituary, since you have a date of death.

http://library.anaheim.net/Library/D...articleID=4662

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 09-12-2012 at 06:19 PM..

Old 09-12-2012, 06:14 PM

44,542 posts, read 61,215,278 times
If he was born in Tennessee have you tried to contact the Tennessee State Vital Statistics for ordering a birth certificate copy?

We've also found back in the 30's the Catholic Churches handled a high percentage of adoptions, they may be able to help you.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
This is kind of a general answer, since a lot of people wind up in this kind of a quandry.

When there is something you do not know, work outwards in all directions from what you do know.

For example, what does the 1940 census tell you? Or his marriage license when he married your mother? Or his Social Security # application? Have you searched for his birth record using the info you have?

Often I have unsuccessfullt tried to backtrack a relative using 3 or 4 different approaches, then found some other angle completely that opened it all up.

The key is to be persistent, and keep looking. And if the information can't be found this year, try again next year. The amount of new information that comes online each year is breathtaking.

Good luck!
There are too many Harry Johnsons in the 1940 Census. We do not have enough info to narrow it down.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:03 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,810,201 times
Quote:
Hi My name is Teresa and I've been trying to locate some history about my dad. I have searched with no luck. This is what I have. His name is Harry Arthur Johnson, born 12/19/1932 in Tennessee ?. He got his ss# 1952 in In Indiana. I don't have his parents names I was told they died when he was very young and he was in a orphanage until he turned 18.My father passed away on 12/8/2002. H was married to my mother her name was Carol Joyce Crandall. they divorced when I was little and I just want to know where I came from.
I suggest trying to obtain your parents marriage certificate. That will likely list his parents names. Do you know in which state they married?

Obtain a copy of his death cert, but be cautious because death cert info is second-hand data, and is sometimes incorrect. How to order a California death cert:
Certified Copies of Birth & Death Records

His SS5 (original social security application) may list parents names. How to request SS5:
SS-5 & Genealogy - How to Request a Copy of a Social Security Application Form

If you can't find his parents names than try ordering the birth cert anyway. Attach a cover letter explaining that your dad grew up in an orphanage and you don't have his parents names. Also send a copy of the death cert when you request the birth cert. This is the form to order a Tennessee birth cert:
https://health.state.tn.us/vr/PDFs/ph-3061.pdf

Keep in mind that many births were not registered.

Try calling the cemetery office and ask if they have a name of who made the arrangements. That person may be able to tell you more about your Dad.
1400 East Sycamore St
Anaheim
Orange County
California USA
Postal Code: 92805
Phone: 714-535-4928

Last edited by daliowa; 09-12-2012 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: additional data

Old 09-12-2012, 07:11 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,810,201 times
Info from Anaheim Cem. database:

Harry Arthur JOHNSON
DOB 12/19/32
DOD 12/09/02
Section LN
Block DD
Lot 52
Space 1

Call the cem office and ask if they'll send you a photo of the gravestone. It may have parents names, or other data.

Or, you can post the data at Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records and request a photo. There are volunteers who will do that.

Last edited by daliowa; 09-12-2012 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy